My BTTF Inspired Bag V2 Page 4

UPDATE: So I have upgraded my vacuum pump from a 1/4HP, single stage, 3CFM pump to this beast

attachment.php

attachment.php

I also wanted to make a vacuum chamber that is large enough to allow me to degas in the molds as well as double as a female tooled vacuum former.
Yesterday I picked this up.

attachment.php

My tube "buck" for the FOOTWEAR bag fits inside with a bit of room to spare. Because I am doing this as a "female" tool, I will be making the hollow slightly over sized and shimming the space with sheets of rubber. This will give me the ability to make both the lids (the larger diameter with the recessed handle) and the body (slightly smaller diameter) from the one tool. At this this stage, I am looking at 2 part rigid expanding foam to fill the voids around the pipe. Under vacuum, the foam will be porous enough to allow the air to be sucked out.

Rather than traditional "vacuuming forming" I am also looking at "thermo forming" the parts because you get a thicker walls and do not waste as much plastic. I am still to make and test the silicone sheet, but it seems that the silicone I use for my molds will be strong enough for this as it had a shore of A40 and stretches when poured into thin sheets.

So first step is to build this new rig which requires lids and bases to be made up, then ball valves to be fitted to allow my new 9CFM pump to be connected.
Then I will make the tools.

This section of pipe is OD 800mm/ID 706mm. Because it is PE, nothing sticks to it, so it will be perfect to use as the mold for the making of the tools with products like the expanding foam.

Keep watching this space. More to come soon.

Attachments

• New Vacuum Chamber 1.jpg
    New Vacuum Chamber 1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 668
  • 12494814_10153874954978841_5113160901567872412_n.jpg
    12494814_10153874954978841_5113160901567872412_n.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 696
  • 12508879_10153874955048841_8502352158820894455_n.jpg
    12508879_10153874955048841_8502352158820894455_n.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 709
Thought I better give this an update.

To make these, I need to build a new HUGE vacuum/thermo-forming system. I am going to be pulling these into female tools. The reason is that I have better control over heating, suction and I can make the parts from thicker plastic. Whilst I am striving for screen accuracy, I am also wanting rugged practicality as well.

I recently bought a section of 800mm diameter pipe (yes 32") and yesterday I bought 800mm x 800mm Perpex sheet or the lid and other parts in MDF. I will use an epoxy to seal the MDF.

attachment.php

So I need to make female tools of the half pipe and end cap. I may be able to pull the end caps as a positive, not sure yet. The body and lids will be pulled into the pipe where I will add a rubber shim to make the diameter smaller for the body. I will also be able to thermo form the recess for the handles.

I am hoping that by the weekend, that I have the chamber finished.
More to come.

Attachments

• Tube Bag V2 1.jpg
    Tube Bag V2 1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 565
​Update:

attachment.php

So I will use epoxy (liquid glass) to seal the MDF and will also have to make custom seals from silicon to be sandwiched between the layers. For thermo-forming, I need to pour myself a rubber sheet (again I will use silicone) and will also need a top plate to hold the silicone sheet. If you have not seen this process before, check out this video.

Attachments

• New Vacuum Chamber 2.jpg
    New Vacuum Chamber 2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 565
Last edited by a moderator:
I am doing a run.

Your doing a run of the full size nike bags?... That is awesome! Christmas came early! Will you be posting here when you are closer to doing a run or is there already a list of people interested that I missed?

Your doing a run of the full size nike bags?... That is awesome! Christmas came early! Will you be posting here when you are closer to doing a run or is there already a list of people interested that I missed?

The development will be documented here and the run will be held in the JY as per forum rules. No JY thread will commence until there is product ready to ship. So just keep watching this thread until I announce it.

The development will be documented here and the run will be held in the JY as per forum rules. No JY thread will commence until there is product ready to ship. So just keep watching this thread until I announce it.

Any updates on the Nike bag/box Cavx?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any updates on the Nike bag/box Cavx?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm first in the run list. lol

I've upgraded all the parts that clamp and seal the system to aluminium. That is all the updates I have at this time. I don't want to ask for funds upfront to kick this off and why it is taking so long but ideally I will about a grand to get the few bags done.

Update: I picked up the parts from the Laser Cutter, except they cut the parts from plate steel, not plate aluminium. It will still work, just makes the rig super heavy. I just want to get these parts powder coated from some protection against rust and make the seals and I am good to go. I am hoping to make the first test pull on the weekend.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back