MR TOS Enterprise pics.

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by eFXBarry, Apr 19, 2006.

1. eFXBarry

eFXBarry Well-Known Member

2. Archie Opteryx

Archie Opteryx Well-Known Member

Looking good. Can't wait to see the completed product.

3. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :D

Guess I better start saving up after all.

The final isn't going to have visible screw holes tho, is it? :confused

And technically it could be called "studio scale" if it's around three feet long, since there was in fact a three foot miniature of the Enterprise that was used on occasion. The proportions were slightly different on that one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    - k

4. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

Oooo that looks sweet Barry. I still love the TOS Enterprise the most (tied with the refit). :)

5. Zumdish

Zumdish New Member

Very Nice. I'm definitely in for one of these. I just hope the nacelle lighting isn't that orange and red. Actually it was always a nice mix of xmas lights on the show...reds, yellows, white, with a little blue tossed in. If they pick the LEDs right, it can be picture perfect with that motorized fan blade. Motorized fan blade...can't believe they are doing that....I'm so there when this thing goes up for sale..

6. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, thanks, Barry. Really cool to see product R&D in progress.

I know this is early and things change, so this is not a judgement, but...I don't think red/blue running lights belong on top of the nacelle domes. The ones on the saucer look a little big, too, but those might just be temporary "close enough size" LEDs for the mockup.

Really nice to see thought being put into the support structure, though. Goodbye, Unobtanium sagging.

7. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Drooling here now. Looking good. MR really needs to do a payment plan for these.

8. Dymerski

Dymerski Well-Known Member

Guys.. Trust me.. I had access to much of the research material...this thing is going to be perfect...
    Dean

9. rhboyd

rhboyd Well-Known Member

Holy crapitola.

I've soiled my pants.

...and

loving it....

:D
    -r.

10. eFXBarry

This is the First Engineering Prototype (FEP), many things have already been addressed.

The MR TOS Enterpise is going to be injection molded in a strong ABS material similar to the AT-AT legs. It's a big mold, but the folks on this project were determined that the sagging that plagued previous versions of this famous starship would NOT be an issue this time.

All the screws will be invisible on the finished pieces.

The aim with this piece is to provide collectors with the definitive small version TOS Enterrpise.

Fingers crossed.

Barry

11. phase pistol

With the understanding that this is just a "first shot"...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- k

12. Corellianexports

Corellianexports Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow.

Will she have lights for the shuttle bay area as well?

13. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep. Lights in the dome above the shuttle bay, the red/yellow/green lights below the shuttle doors, strobes on the sides near the back - the full monty..

14. Reaper57

Reaper57 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Apr 19 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]1229290[/snapback]</div>

they appear to be going by Sinclear"s {sp} blue prints.

note that they added the small lights on the sides of the bridge area shown in red on the MR model.
    those are on his print along with three beside and over the shuttle bay. all are shown clearly on the Kirk pic.

the saucer lights do look large but the naccelle lights are way to big.
    the naccelle lights are shown on the film model being held by kirk.

NOTE these could be attachment points for support wires since some are shown on the saucer.
    they maybe have been mistook for lights but they are the same size and as the other small lights i mentioned.

john :cool

15. michael

michael New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Barry @ Apr 19 2006, 12:46 PM) [snapback]1229253[/snapback]</div> A 7th jpg has been added...sooooo......................
    http://masterreplicas.com/pub/enterprisedevelopment7.jpg
    Check it out...................... :)

16. phase pistol

Hm, check out the "formation lights" or whatever they are on top of the warp engines on the MR...

[​IMG]

Were they really supposed to be lights? I've never seen them lit... BUT if they were lights, they're darn tiny.

[​IMG]

If they existed on the 11-foot miniature, you'd see them in this angle... (screengrab from "The Deadly Years")

[​IMG]

Oh hey, look, there they are. :lol

Well it's just... a screw or something... certainly not a light, huh... :p

- k

17. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They are intended to be lights. In the 11 footer, they were (acrylic?) light pipes from the nacelle light area and I guess didn't transmit light well at all - but the intention was for them to light up.

18. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Simply stated...this is my childhood dream model.

OUTSTANDING...

19. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking good so far. I hope MR keeps posting pics as the project moves along.

20. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Very cool...

I shudder to think of what the price will be. :(

Lynn

21. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

I can't wait to see the finished product. If they don't have a payment plan on this then its time for a loan. :p

22. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Aye... that tears it... I'm selling a kidney...

Jedi Dade

23. Admiral Nogura

Admiral Nogura Well-Known Member

Well so when do they start taking pre orders?

24. eFXBarry

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Admiral Nogura @ Apr 20 2006, 04:14 PM) [snapback]1229759[/snapback]</div>
    No idea as to the onsale date yet.

FYI the scale is 1/350 and the model measures out to approximately 32.47 inches.

I've seen it in the flesh and have to tell you that this looks like the Enterprise. There are a lot of talented and knowledgeable folks working on this project. It's a labour of love to many.

Barry

25. CessnaDriver

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Barry @ Apr 20 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]1230048[/snapback]</div>
    No idea as to the onsale date yet.

FYI the scale is 1/350 and the model measures out to approximately 32.47 inches.

I've seen it in the flesh and have to tell you that this looks like the Enterprise. There are a lot of talented and knowledgeable folks working on this project. It's a labour of love to many.

Barry
    [/b][/quote]

That is very very reassuring news. I think this one is going to be one for the ages.

And hopefully a big success so we can see more products. Refit Enterprise, Galileo Shuttlecraft, Klingon D7.

Hooboy. Getting hot in here.

26. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:eek I will be getting one of these---for sure..

27. KUROK

KUROK Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to get one as I have plans to build a model myself with the 22" kit. However, now that I'm seeing pics...I MIGHT GET ONE.

28. michael

michael New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Apr 20 2006, 03:34 AM) [snapback]1229589[/snapback]</div>
    Price is 1,199.00 retail.

29. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(michael @ Apr 21 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]1230165[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, less than the SS AT-AT.

This is one of my "dream models," too. After seeing these pics and reading this thread, I'm in for sure. :D

30. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oooh, and 1/350 as well...

Makes me not so sad that Polar Lights up and died now. I always wanted a counterpart for my 350 Refit.

-Gary

Just noticed... Did the impulse engines ever light up on the original model?

-Gary

31. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking Good..

Can't wait.. :lol

32. Archie Opteryx

Archie Opteryx Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gw2tulsa @ Apr 21 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]1230702[/snapback]</div>
    Nope.

33. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool, thanks. I just LOVE the frame inside that puppy...

-Gary

34. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(michael @ Apr 21 2006, 01:42 AM) [snapback]1230165[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Where did you find that price tag. I've looked around and never found any info on it...

Jedi Dade

35. eFXBarry

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jedi Dade @ Apr 21 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]1230723[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Where did you find that price tag. I've looked around and never found any info on it...

Jedi Dade
    [/b][/quote]

I believe the price is a projected price that was passed onto dealers at the Toy Fair.

Barry

36. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

37. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gw2tulsa @ Apr 22 2006, 05:41 AM) [snapback]1230716[/snapback]</div>
    I do, too. And MR is wise to release photos of the prototype being built up around that frame. It's reassuring to anyone who has concerns about progressive drooping... which I expect is just about everyone who is thinking of buying this model. :D

38. SSRN Seaview

SSRN Seaview Well-Known Member

I would hope that there could be a discount for those individuals that were stiffed by the other company that was liscensed by Paramount/Viacom to sell three different versions of the NCC-1701 several years ago.

39. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Wow. fantastic.

Hope it all works out.

40. yt

yt Sr Member

[/quote]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I believe the price is a projected price that was passed onto dealers at the Toy Fair.

Barry
    [/quote]

I hope that is wrong, I was really hoping against hope for lower... :cry

41. Corellianexports

Corellianexports Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moffeaton @ Apr 19 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]1229408[/snapback]</div>
    Awesome.

I put together one of the old, model kits years ago and realized that it didn't have these details. I recall trying to figure out how to add all those tiny lights.

This is definitely an amazing model.

One of the originals can still be found in the gift shop (lower level) at the Smithonian Space/Flight Museum. I was surprised to discover that some of the "weathering" was done in different shades of green...almost a "moss" effect on the bottom of the saucer section.

42. CessnaDriver

The present state of the 11ft studio scale in the Smithsonian is poorly regarded by most TOS modellers.
    The guy that did the last "restoration" went nuts with gridlines and weathering to the point it looks like it belongs in a Star Wars movie.

Look for older pictures of the miniature for screen accurate reference material. I hope someday the 11 footer gets restored properly.

That is one sure way for MR to botch this project, screw up the paint job with what happened to the original in the Smithsonian.

But Im sure the MR guys are aware of what is screen accurate.

Go here for historical pics of the original studio model in its various states over the years........

http://members.aol.com/IDICPage/enterprise.html

43. eFXBarry

44. KUROK

KUROK Well-Known Member

That looks great even without paint.
    Thanks, Barry.

45. phase pistol

The weathering on the 11-footer was originally pretty distinct I'm told... the ship was never completely clean (except during the "Cage" days I guess)...

The ship in the Smithsonian was refurbished a couple times by Ed Miarecki... he toughened up the weathering and gridlines to a point that most of us (Trekkies) find distasteful.

[​IMG]

compared with how it looked like before the "renovation"...

[​IMG]

Supposedly the top of the saucer section wasn't touched (except for repair to the decals) so that gives a decent idea of what the ship was supposed to look like.

- k

46. eFXBarry

MR have access to wonderful beauty photographic reference of the 11 footer in her prime. John is using this to recreate the paint job.

The model in the pic actually has the beginnings of the weathering on the top saucer. It's very subtle indeed, and tends to wash out in flash photography, but it's there for the eye to see.

I was stoked when I saw it. The model is sweet and as I said before, there is a wealth of Trek talent and fanatics working on this project to make sure it's the dogs bollocks.

Barry

47. Dymerski

Dymerski Well-Known Member

hey Barry...is that my FM falcom in the background?
    Dean

48. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Looking great. I'm so excited that MR is tackling this. Not sure if it was asked before but, will any sound effects be included in the ship? The lighting scheme is looking sharp.

49. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dymerski @ Apr 26 2006, 02:43 AM) [snapback]1233292[/snapback]</div>
    Funny how that slipped in there huh? :lol

Almost doesn't look large enough.

Can't wait to order this 1701 though. :thumbsup :D :thumbsup

50. PredatrHuntr

PredatrHuntr Well-Known Member

This is looks totally cool, but imagine if they did the 1701-D? Thats my fav...so many windows...