USS ENTERPRISE 11 FOOT 3D PRINTED MODEL

GEEK1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys, so as the title says, this is gonna be a replica of the 11' filming model from Star Trek TOS. I know it's a trip to the dark side from the usual Star Wars stuff but this ship was my first love, as was the original series.

I plan to model it from scratch using all available sources...luckily, there is loads of reference and blueprints, so should be pretty straight-forward. Obviously it has been modelled many times but I want my own ship and I will design it so it can be mounted on a box steel frame and have all lights and effects installed.

I intend to exactly copy the original ship currently on display in the Smithsonian and thankfully there is lots of info available.

I will also be drawing from the deep and huge resources on here, devoted to this iconic beauty

It will probably progress at a slightly more sedate pace than my usual builds because it is a personal project and will have to fit around my other stuff

OK, got the first iteration of the primary and secondary hulls done and will start to work up the nacelles next

ENTERPRISE 1.jpg
ENTERPRISE.jpg
ENTERPRISE 2.jpg
ENTERPRISE 3.jpg

Wow!

I'm assuming the nacelle supports are part of that steel frame?
Thanks...not exactly... the Pylons will be 'sleeves' that fit over the steel frame...similarly , the Nacelles will be hollow to accommodate a steel strut to weld to'

So the Nacelles and pylons are done...lots of very cool details going on here...they really knocked it outta the park

I've made it so the Nacelle tube can be accessed from both ends. All the 'difficult' to print details will be separate parts

ENTERPRISE 5.jpg
ENTERPRISE 4.jpg

ENTERPRISE 6.jpg
ENTERPRISE 7.jpg
ENTERPRISE 8.jpg

I will flesh out the Bussard domes and the internal lighting vanes when I'm done on the ship

OK I have finished modelling her...all the parts are just so cool but still relatively simple and elegant, and like a few other classy models, she looks good from every angle

So the secondary hull will house the main support steel which will extend through the engineering section into the saucer and also connect to the pylons and nacelles. I will sketch out some options for box steel structures next

ENTERPRISE 14.jpg
ENTERPRISE 15.jpg
ENTERPRISE 9.jpg
ENTERPRISE 10.jpg
ENTERPRISE 11.jpg
ENTERPRISE 12.jpg
ENTERPRISE 13.jpg

Sadly, my screen printer is not large enough to print markings for an 11 foot version. Well, unless it was 1 or 2 characters per sheet. Were the markings on the real filming model painted or were they stick-on stickers? I don't remember.

Were the markings on the real filming model painted or were they stick-on stickers? I don't remember.

They were decals, according to the book "The Enterprise NCC 1701 and the Model Maker" by N. Datin McDonald and Richard C. Datin Jr. The book is about the life and model making career of Richard Datin Jr, who made the 3-foot Enterprise model and was closely involved with the 11-foot Enterprise model. His family still has some leftover decals, according to the book.

Hi GEEK1138,

I just want to note a few details on your mesh (which is in no way a criticism). The nacelle support pylons look flat on the front and rear edges, like a 2x6 plank. These were rendered incorrectly on the AMT Enterprise as well as the 1/1000 Polar Lights kit, if you were using either as a reference. The pylons on the original 11-foot model and the 1/350 PL kit are half-rounds on the leading and trailing edges. Also, the grille in the inner nacelle trench looks like the Ed Miarecki replacement grille from the 1991 restoration, rather than the original grille, which has a completely different perforation pattern. The original grille design was restored to the trench during the 2016 restoration. Finally, the orange power domes on the front of the nacelles show the three mounting tabs being at a 120-degree separation, where the 11-footer has the two upper tabs at about 45 degrees apart from the centerline (basically in line with the intercoolers) with the bottom one at center (these were also correctly represented on the 1/350 PL kit).

E

kg_star-trek_tos_1701_studio_model-065.jpg
kg_star-trek_tos_1701_studio_model-084.jpg
kg_star-trek_tos_1701_studio_model-087.jpg
latest.jpg

Hey Mr. E Man, thanks so much for your input...I was hoping a real Star Trek expert would give me a few pointers. So I will move the Bussard clips and re-do the pylons. I'm not sure what u mean about the nacelle grille pattern...it looks to be the same as seen on the Smithsonian model, which I thought had been replaced as per the original
P1240070.jpg

Also, if I may ask another question...are the power domes actually orange...the pics seem to vary on the actual display;
5JUUJsD.jpeg
P1240089.jpg

You're welcome. :)

I'm far from an expert, but I have gathered a lot of reference material on the Enterprise over the years and visited the model at the Smithsonian a good number of times.

Here is a shot of the front section of the original engine grille when it was removed from the model. It has 12 holes from top to bottom.

E

kg_star-trek_tos_1701_studio_model-041.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back