I know but he is referencing "Raiders" gear in this thread, talk aside, Lamb was imo and many others what was used for that Film, there has been no other evidance that points to the contrary

The Tony Nowak KOTCS jacket was cowhide. There was even talk that some of the original Raiders jackets might have been a thin cow, though the straited lamb seems to be the best match.

So where might one order one of these HJ fedoras?

Sean

http://www.swaineadeneybrigg.com/store/herbert-johnson/poet-hat/the-poet-hat

Best to contact them to discuss options and whatnot, I think. I believe there are actually two blocks (one a bit shorter), etc. The Raiders hat can be quite finicky to style depending on your desire for screen accuracy.

The truth is some of its iconic look is a result of Harrison Ford’s head and proportions, so recreating it on other bodies is a bit of trial and error. ;-)

No one makes a more accurate jacket or hatch from any of the Indiana Jones movies then Steel and Jones.

I'll try to answer that. To the best of my knowledge West it had long lost the original pattern And was in fact not even named wested leather company. That is why their jacket is not the be-all end-all final word. Although it goes without saying they do make a very nice product.
Stealing Jones represent a passion to the company's creators. They have taken extreme Steps to measure and remeasure actual hero items used in the films. They are extremely gifted Craftsman and put everything into their product down to searching for accurate materials and / or putting a scratch mark in exactly the right place. I guess it comes down to whether you want the company name and a company experience or if you want a personal tailored experience of the highest quality.

I'll try to answer that. To the best of my knowledge West it had long lost the original pattern And was in fact not even named wested leather company. That is why their jacket is not the be-all end-all final word. Although it goes without saying they do make a very nice product.
Stealing Jones represent a passion to the company's creators. They have taken extreme Steps to measure and remeasure actual hero items used in the films. They are extremely gifted Craftsman and put everything into their product down to searching for accurate materials and / or putting a scratch mark in exactly the right place. I guess it comes down to whether you want the company name and a company experience or if you want a personal tailored experience of the highest quality.
Same reason the current David Morgan whips are probably not the most screen accurate anymore.

My thanks to auto correct for making gibberish out of some of my sentences.

Ok that makes complete sense to me. I did want a Morgan before I saw the price and read more about them nowadays. It’s almost the same as the Aldens. 405s are accurate but 403s may be closer. I own the 405s and I like the current color. These were bought less than a month agoI may pick up the 403s before next winter though.

Attachments

• 9C0B1917-66F3-4ADD-9BEC-A1C73D92AD11.jpeg
    9C0B1917-66F3-4ADD-9BEC-A1C73D92AD11.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
  • E8ED4A5C-F424-4096-AC44-AEF66714A20C.jpeg
    E8ED4A5C-F424-4096-AC44-AEF66714A20C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 114
If you're going for the most screen accurate Raiders styled whips Bernardo Del Carpio is the way to go. Hands down. The David Morgan company changed their design over the years to make their whips more durable and while they still offer a top notch product, they are not the same as the designs they used for Raiders for a number of reasons. Bernardo learned from David Morgan himself and his work is second to none.

I've owned a few pairs of Alden's over the years and while I like the look, often the color has been too reddish for my liking. I found a pair of J. Crew look-a-likes that while not 100% accurate really look the part and are more brown than the Alden's, plus half the price and from my experience more durable. That's one thing that has bugged me about some of the Indy gear in that the name brand items often carry a price tag that is more about the name than the product. Alden's and Morgan both make nice products, but I think you're paying for the name as much as you are for the item.

When they have their items in stock Todd's costumes makes some really great Indy gear and at prices that are really affordable without sacrificing quality.

Resurrection of an old thread, but figured I'd let you interested people know that Wested has recovered their original pattern for the "indy" jacket, and also found a suitable analogue for the original hide used on the original (which is long gone) by comparing to a scrap they had. Bear in mind, the original jacket is often referred to as "the waiter jacket" because it is quite short in length. The Raiders pants were very high waisted (long outseam) as pants of the depicted era were, so wearing an accurate jacket with todays hip-riding pants will look, well, strange. Just keep that in mind.

And I was looking the other day, and apparently they have some of the original labels used (with their old name) which can be added to the jacket. If I didn't already have a custom version, based on screen caps, in horsehide, I'd seriously consider this. Price seems very fair considering what you get.

I've been in this game long enough to remember all the multiple times Wested found the "original patterns". It's an old story. And the original Raiders jacket is not long gone. One came into the possession of Tony Nowak which he used to produce quite a nice reproduction run a few years back.

I had never heard that before, but it was only 15 years ago I was putting that costume together. At that time their pattern was not great, and I sent photos and measurements to refine what they had at the time.

I like what I got, but it was not their “stock” pattern at that time. I also increased some body and sleeve lengths because I’m 5 foot 14 inches tall...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back