Kekkuda

Hey, never actually documented any of my builds here before but I figured I'd kind of slowly put together a thread documenting the work I've done so far on my Morgott cosplay as well as the work I've yet to do. I've been working on this one since about mid-May and at this point it's mostly in the tedious detailing stage, but I'm shooting to have it all done by October for the Cosplay Central Crown Championship regional qualifier at NYCC.

So here he is, in all his glory:

48e8cab1-f48b-4884-b078-f25b874a14b4.jpg

Just for good measure, here are several of the references I used in addition to the in-game model I popped into a blender scene:

• What appears to be (as of this moment) the only public piece of his concept art
concept.jpg

• Basic Front/back view
margitref.jpg

• Front view (w/o cloak)
7YVqAOw.png

• Side view (w/o cloak):
SCVJRJQ.png

I've done my fair share of fairly complex monster builds, and I kinda expected this to be no big deal as I would just be building off of a lot of the things I'd done previously but BOY was I wrong on that front. I actually chose to make him over several of the other bosses in part because he would be (in theory) the simplest of my options to make (the others being Mohg, Godrick, or god forbid Rykard if I was feeling deranged enough). I ended up learning at least 4 entirely new crafting mediums to complete this build, and I've definitely injured myself more than I have for any other costume I've made so far. Also kinda got so sucked into it that I kinda accidentally forgot to enjoy my final summer break before I graduate college, oops.

Attachments

• elden-ring-player-beats-morgott-with-starting-gear-main_webp.jpg
    elden-ring-player-beats-morgott-with-starting-gear-main_webp.jpg
    1,011 KB · Views: 133
In the process of waiting for materials to come in, the first task was to start sculpting the prosthetic. I've done a pretty big sculpt before for a latex Half Life: Alyx Vortigaunt mask, but this was my first time making prosthetics or working with silicone (which was a HUGE thing on my bucket list).

This is what his face looks like up close in-game:
QxpnAwk.png
1661679219065.png
QxpnAwk.png

And this is what the in-game model's face looks like in blender with all the hair geometry removed:

bsVwCwQ.png

So ultimately, I figured the best course of action was to make a mask that only covered about 1/2 to 2/3 of the face to allow for the placement of ventilated facial hair on swiss lace on the lower cheeks. This was also going to be more helpful when it came to fitting as I don't have a life-cast of my face. I actually sculpt on a very generic facial armature, and I was worried about maintaining facial proportions that would still fit me if I ended up sculpting a prosthetic that extended to the lips.
Started blocking out the shape with monster clay, and just refined the form more and more adding details as I went.
9B443E5D-0EB6-4472-BEEE-8FFA1819F04B.jpg
1661680154002.png
IMG_0055.JPG

This was the final sculpt:
1661680367243.png
1661680414950.png

Then came all the mold prep stuff. The gray clay is just the White EM210 Laguna Clay if i recall correctly, or at least a very similar clay. It's my go-to for building mold walls and such just because of how easy it is to clean up. Usually it's also called "white modeling clay" but it's an earthenware clay, it's not the same as the stuff labeled "modeling clay" in craft stores. Modeling clay seems to be a vague term that can include anything from soft oil-based clays to polymer clays, so make sure you know exactly what you're getting. Part of the appeal of the clay I used is that if your sculpture is made from oil based clay, you can easily clean up the Laguna modeling clay with water and it doesn't damage your sculpt at all. "Modeling clays" that aren't water based will require solvents to dissolve. It just so happens that those solvents will also damage your oil clay sculpt too.

For the actual mold, I used Hydrocal-30 plaster I had left over from my previous build after I learned that you can seal plaster molds for use with silicone. I'll cover the silicone casting process later in the thread.

1661680742309.png

1661680894987.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back