MonsterMan Thoughts Feelings and Reviews (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Draphin

Sr Member
Hello All I thought we might try a thread for MonsterMan and as the Title suggests this thread will contain Spoilers. I know we have the ability to put spoilers in a special format so you have to click to read but that would cover this entire Thread so I put it out front. Don't read any further if you Don't want this to be spoiled.

Disclaimer aside I will start with my Thoughts. Having had a brief brush in the Film industry I saw allot that was way to eerily familiar. ie: the impatience on set and the sudden changing of deadlines at the last minute. Some things never change. As Somewhat expected their is Family Drama and Business Drama and in the background some cool tip to be had on building monsters. I like it but I won't feel stressed to catch it all the time.

All in all :thumbsup

I just did not like this show very much at all. This show reeks of scripting. I mean I saw it coming a mile away when the deadline was pushed way up, and the reconciliation at the end as well. I also loved how they were all wearing respirators inside their mouths yet somehow they were able to talk.

Also, when someone says to me "2 headed shark" I immediately think of what their puppet looked like. Are you telling me that none of the concept artists for that company could come up with that?

I don't specifically remember if they actually cast the torso, but the one dude was complaining that he'd have to stay all night to make a mold? The speed up made it look like an hour tops.

Also the movie that Sean Cunningham was directing supposedly doesn't even exist.

To me this show was a fail on all levels.

Yea I also thought the show was not that good. I would like to see more prop making and less of the guy wearing his stupid contact lens. It felt scripted to me also.

While I agree, it is overly scripted, like "Making Monsters" from the Travel Channel, I like seeing the lower budget aspect of the business.
It wouldn't surprise me that the producers set up fake movie scenes for them to be a part of.
I'll give it a chance. I'm glad that it'll movie to 10pm.

BTW, the advertised show about movie vehicles featuring the Parker brothers looks promising.

It was ok. I do find it odd that they bumped up shooting 2 weeks and waited til the last minute to say, "oh it's actually this friday now".

As soon as I saw the art for the 2-headed shark(one on top of another), I did think it looked rather stupid, but it just seemed to obvious that they were going to change it anyway(not because of the preview), just because you knew that a head on a head doesn't work.

I wouldn't run it past them that it was scripted to a sense, not to mention, when he walked in on the filming. That part seemed a lil scripted. But they did make rather cool looking stuff.

I'll give it a chance, but I am also looking at that preview for some kind of future vehicle making show.

Is that Cleve Hall guy for real? Seeing him and his pancake make-up, eyeliner and "scary" contact lenses on Face Off tonight made me roll my eyes. :rolleyes

Did he forget to put in his fangs?

DVR'd the show, but not really looking forward to watching this guy.

Pretty much agree all that was mentioned previously. It unfortunately turned out exactly like I expected. In all these type shows, no matter where they take place or what occupation they're involved in, the people all seem to have redneck/white trash personalities, with all the b**ching and in-fighting. The theme of the show is just background noise. If I continue to watch, this will definitely be with the sound down and music on, pausing to watch the few times that they actually show them making something. Someone needs to bring back "Mega Movie Magic".

Ok, after last night, I am sure it is scripted now. Last I checked, you don't start filming anything, until you for sure have costumes and whatnot. It's just too convenient that they are "running late" to get the costume done on time for shooting. This show just seems like everything is last minute issues and planning, just screams scripted. Such as, the didn't know until the last second that the gold bikini may not work on a green screen? Come on...don't they figure this stuff out during the planning phase of a movie? I mean, they do great work, but...

If I continue watching this, it will only be because I left the channel on.

Ive watched two episodes and so far it's been OK but nothing too exciting. Honestly, the stuff they are making for the movies only looks fair to me. I could name a dozen people off the board here who could do better in their sleep.

I looked Cleve up on IMDB and his credentials really aren't too long. Doesn't look like he has done much of anything for 10 years. Some in the 80-90's then a huge break until like 2005 then nothing till now.

I still say he looks like the undertaker's deformed little brother.

I did learn that Jenna Elfman and Danny Elfman are related. For some reason I never put those two together.

That Werewolf last night really didn't fit the bill on the head. They go on saying how it's all CGI now, did they even watch Underworld? They had all sorts of actual Lycan builds.

Hell, a lot of the stuff on Face-Off had a better product and they had 3 days to finish those.

I was really hoping to learn some cool things and see some interesting stuff on this show. But honestly I learn way more here on the boards. I don't get why they are always so rushed at the end. The werewolf didn't look that great at all. And the sharks from last week were a bit of a let down. Not that I could do better but still.

Is that Cleve Hall guy for real? Seeing him and his pancake make-up, eyeliner and "scary" contact lenses on Face Off tonight made me roll my eyes. :rolleyes

Yeah, for that reason alone I won't bother ever watching this show after seeing him on Face Off. Stan Winston didn't need all that **** to make great monsters, this guy is a fake.

Last I checked, you don't start filming anything, until you for sure have costumes and whatnot. It's just too convenient that they are "running late" to get the costume done on time for shooting.

Exactly. Are we really supposed to believe a director wouldn't see the final creature until minutes before shooting? And they hadn't even tested it on the actor until then? Also, after shooting the scene, the director yells, "Cut. That's a wrap!". Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't that mean shooting for a movie is complete? So that would mean the werewolf movie only had the werewolf in that 1 scene?
Also, with the other segment, since when do directors actually film at the FX lab's location on an impromptu green screen setup? I'm familiar with the original "Forbidden Zone" and granted, it was cheaply made and very strange, but you'd think they would have actual sets for the 'sequel'.

It's fairly obvious why this guy works on super low budget films, his work speaks for itself. That werewolf head sculpt was terrible. When the actor looked straight, there was a huge gap in the fur between the suit and mask. At first I thought it was another fake movie until I found it on IMDB.

Also that princess prosthetic was brutal.

It's fairly obvious why this guy works on super low budget films, his work speaks for itself. That werewolf head sculpt was terrible. When the actor looked straight, there was a huge gap in the fur between the suit and mask. At first I thought it was another fake movie until I found it on IMDB.

Also that princess prosthetic was brutal.

Agreed. I looked at this show tonight for the first time.

It suffers badly from all the other "reality" show obviously
scripted stereotypes as well.

There needs to be a mashup...

This werewolf is going to be a gamechanger!
Never been done before.
It's gonna have a flamethrower in it's mouth!
Oh, and we got two days to do it!

All these shows are just ripe for parody.

And what was with his daughter's 'concept art'? It looked like a 3rd grader's drawing.

Yes, his daughter's concepting is both completely JUVENILE and plagaristic! Didn't anyone notice that one of her drawings was clearly traced over the American Werewolf in London design? (and badly at that). That werewolf design has one of the most distinct in film existence and the sketch she did didn't even deviate from it in the slightest! (although, good lawdy, if they HAD come closer to that design, they'd have had a helluva better end product)

It looked suitable for some off-broadway theatre production of the Three Little Pigs or something, but film, even low budget? Horrible.

I have to agree with everything posted above.

Everything they made looks hoaky. Halloween store bought at best.

Don't tell me every episode is going to be two projects at once
where they will always finish late, yell at each other the whole time
and then be all lovey dovey at the end.

All I could picture during this show was American Chopper.

I hope this gets better. I was looking for something to enjoy after Face Off.

I am looking forward to the car one next month. That may be good!

I am also excited to hear that Face Off is back THIS summer. Two seasons in one year. AWESOME.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back