Model Builds with Archive-X Paints (Star Destroyer, AT-AT, Falcon, X-Wing, Slave 1, and other projects).

i don`t get it folks
why put up with all this hassle and problems that came with water based acrylics...tip dry, clocking, tied to the low pressure, the need for retarder that comes on top of the overpriced paints...accept color being unavailable for months...it's basically like burning your money and get some trouble as an encore...makes zero sense to me...and especially not when we're talking about such simple shades as the imperial gray and off white tones of the at-st ,at-at, tie fighter & interceptor. isd, lambda class shuttle etc and so on. I'll take any bet with you that you can't say 100% if the same model is painted twice with archive-x colors and the other with tamiya colors that I mixed by eye cheers

Thanks for the tips! I've got a system kind of working now, lol.

I do have their new version thinner with the retarder, and I tried it with a couple drops of the AK retarder anyway and wow it did not like that at all. Fisheye city. o_O

What I've come up with is basically an equal amount of drops of paint to thinner, and then I add 2-3 drops of the Mr Color leveling thinner and mix it in the cup. I spray it at about 18 and it works pretty well, but yeah it goes down in very light coats. Working good so far! Thanks again!

Thanks, I will give that a try for sure as I have some of that leveler on hand.

i don`t get it folks
why put up with all this hassle and problems that came with water based acrylics...tip dry, clocking, tied to the low pressure, the need for retarder that comes on top of the overpriced paints...accept color being unavailable for months...it's basically like burning your money and get some trouble as an encore...makes zero sense to me...and especially not when we're talking about such simple shades as the imperial gray and off white tones of the at-st ,at-at, tie fighter & interceptor. isd, lambda class shuttle etc and so on. I'll take any bet with you that you can't say 100% if the same model is painted twice with archive-x colors and the other with tamiya colors that I mixed by eye cheers

Ha, yeah, I can see all of that, but why do we do anything :)

oops...i didn't expect that...but fair enough...that's a more then valid point
cheers
:)

To be fair, I have swapped back to AS-20 and the other Tamiya paints for some of the base coats. Once you get done with all the rest of the paint, especially the misting coats, the base coat by and large 'disappears'. Patining some tiny figures for my 1/72 Falcon does remind me these paints do have one advantage, they brush on super nicely!

:)

To be fair, I have swapped back to AS-20 and the other Tamiya paints for some of the base coats. Once you get done with all the rest of the paint, especially the misting coats, the base coat by and large 'disappears'. Patining some tiny figures for my 1/72 Falcon does remind me these paints do have one advantage, they brush on super nicely!
to be fair as well...the archive-x color matches are very good and for more difficult painting pattern like the slave I it is maybe a good idea to buy some archive-x paints. it would still hurt me to throw mr. important himself guy cowen so much money after...if you know what i mean. but i guess the most annoying part is working with water based acrylics in my eyes. i absolutely hate to airbrush this paints....

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back