Model Builds with Archive-X Paints (Star Destroyer, AT-AT, Falcon, X-Wing, Slave 1, and other projects).

Calling this one done!

20210901_200900.jpg

20210901_200954.jpg

20210901_201018.jpg

20210901_201024.jpg

20210901_201034.jpg

Okay, now I have started something here and I also really needed more kits/projects to work on :)

At first, I was lamenting the build quilty and detail of the first MPC X-Wing I built above, but the more I built it and especially after I completely finished and mounted it, the more I liked it. Yes, arguments can be made about the "Studio Scale", don't read too much into it :)

20210831_214156.jpg

So, as of late, when I start in on a project I find myself wanting more and that is exactly what I did:

20210908_195930.jpg

These kits actually are a lot of fun, detail is questionable, the quality is just okay, but the size is perfect for me, it's my new favorite scale. I will build these over the tiny Bandi version of these ships all day long.

I will probably start on the TIE next. My only real difficult decision is going to be the color, I am trying to decide between Grey and Stormy Blue, both of which I have on hand.

The Archive-X calls out Stormy Sea, and I do like the way my 1:24 TIE Interceptor turned out which was painted with a close approximation to that color.

Very nice job on the MPC X-Wing! I am working on one of those right now as well.
Nice, would love to see a picture when it's completed. I am pretty sure I am going to hit my Vader TIE next. I have been trying to finish up a few projects that have been on the back burner. This weekend I added Rey's saber to my Kylo, both 3D printed with PLA (the top of Kylo's saber is Resin). Not crazy accurate but they sure are fun to build!

20210912_221410.jpg

20210912_221134.jpg

Okay, it's been a bit but it's time to throw in a few more very random projects. I seem to have a new collection that I am building, I call it 'collecting intentions'. I have a lot of intentions to finish so many different projects, but right now I can only seem to get 25 to 30% into a project before I pause and start a new one.

So, here are a few very random ones I have on the 'bench':

First up in my mini-Crest. I did not think I was going to pick this one up and I am not really a fan of this scale at all, but then Target had them in stock so I picked up this and the Bandi Mando. I figured it would make a nice desk piece:

IMG_20211130_231840159.jpg

IMG_20211201_203855563.jpg

The Primer is drying now and then I will apply the Chrome and see how it turns out.

Attachments

• IMG_20211130_205555141.jpg
    IMG_20211130_205555141.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 75
The second project is this Star Destroyer, I think it's about 36" or so when it's fully printed. It's all FDM as the files are not very accurate (some details are great, others are missing) but it will be a fun piece to light and put on my wall. That's my 1:2700 next to it:

IMG_20211107_224234434.jpg

The third project is a series of Slave 1 ships. I have done the Bandai one and I think the paint turned out okay but I really want to get these to look "right". I even purchased a cheap model sub to practice on.

I also got in a new shipment of Archive - X that has all the paints I need for my TIE fighters, my 1:72 PG Falcon, and the Slave 1 kits along with a few others:

IMG_20211102_205646491.jpg

IMG_20211102_213535772.jpg

IMG_20211102_204507976.jpg

IMG_20211102_213716851.jpg

And the last but certainly not least is the 1:48 TIE Bomber. I have two versions of the files and the artists took very different approaches to cutting them up for printing. I am actually a fan of the ones from Etsy by MosEisleyModelworks but the ones pictured below are from NerdMaker.

Because I am having a heck of a time getting the bomber to print correctly, the prints below are pretty bad so they are going to be used for testing some paint and how they react to some different washes, chipping fluids and a few other tests:

IMG_20211129_201157085.jpg

IMG_20211130_223409309_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211201_204238911_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211201_204234142_HDR.jpg

Because my Saturn is waiting for Christmas, I am printing the wings in PLA on my MINI as they will not fit on my Mars:

IMG_20211201_204257219.jpg

I will throw this bomber into a separate build thread once I can actually get a good print of it done.

Just printed off the 1:48 Bomber as well, but put it in a box until I can clear my bench a little. You've got a lot going on!

SB

Sorry, for some reason I thought it was a 1/72 Tie Bomber and was curious how the 1/72 resin one I had sized up.
It is clearly much larger and as I reread it, I see you stated 1/48

reading comprehension and all that :D
Ah yes, the other set of files are 1/72. I am testing this out to see if I can do a 1/24 when my Jupiter gets here

Your builds look great, man! I agree about the Archive X paints just "looking right" - it's not just the colors but the sheen of them as well.

Any advice as far as air pressure and mixing them for airbrushing? I just can't seem to get it right o_O

Your builds look great, man! I agree about the Archive X paints just "looking right" - it's not just the colors but the sheen of them as well.

Any advice as far as air pressure and mixing them for airbrushing? I just can't seem to get it right o_O

Thanks! And agreed, the sheen is a big part of it and why I don't use any type of gloss/flat coat on these paints, it just knocks the effect down too much for me.

I feel your struggle with the paint, I can tell you that you are not alone. I wish I had better news for you but I have been using these now for over a year and I have never been able to dial them in like I would want, but I do have a few tips that have really helped me. Likely you experienced what I have which is that it seems to dry in the tip of the airbrush no matter what you do.

First, if you are used to spraying something like Alclad or Tamiya, these will never be that :) There is no way (in my experience) that you will just put down a ton of paint in one shot.

But, here are my main tips:
  1. Shake them well, and I mean for like 2 or 3 minutes (it's something with the pigment is my best guess)
  2. I have never found the magic PSI or ratio that really makes a huge difference, other than I suspect you might be over-thinning them (they require less than you might think) and I usually keep it at 15 to 20 psi. I have found too much air or thinner makes them dry out even faster.
  3. A good paint retarder from AK or others goes a long way (I usually put 4 to 6 drops directly into the airbrush).
  4. Pre-mix it before you put it into your airbrush, and really, really mix it well.
  5. Only use their thinner, I have not had luck with anything else.
Lastly, and this is probably my best tip, you just have to go slow, so slow... Again, it will never go down like Tamiya. I usually mix up one good airbrush-sized cup, put it down slowly (not a ton of air), and then run some thinner through the brush. The different colors (especially the base ones) have different viscosities which is why I think they are so much harder to dial in.

Not sure if you have the new version of their thinner with the built-in retarder, but I have some on order that will be here on Saturday, I will let you know if helps at all.

Also, they brush very, very nicely! I just mix them with a bit of water and they go down so much better than something like a Tamiya in that regard.

Okay, now I have started something here and I also really needed more kits/projects to work on :)

At first, I was lamenting the build quilty and detail of the first MPC X-Wing I built above, but the more I built it and especially after I completely finished and mounted it, the more I liked it. Yes, arguments can be made about the "Studio Scale", don't read too much into it :)

View attachment 1493255
is it on purpose, that the X wing plaque is "MCP" instead of "MPC"?

is it on purpose, that the X wing plaque is "MCP" instead of "MPC"?
Ha, good eye :)

No, it was a misprint when I had those made. I have since replaced them with some much nicer ones made of aluminum as I never really liked the plastic ones.

Thanks for the tips! I've got a system kind of working now, lol.

I do have their new version thinner with the retarder, and I tried it with a couple drops of the AK retarder anyway and wow it did not like that at all. Fisheye city. o_O

What I've come up with is basically an equal amount of drops of paint to thinner, and then I add 2-3 drops of the Mr Color leveling thinner and mix it in the cup. I spray it at about 18 and it works pretty well, but yeah it goes down in very light coats. Working good so far! Thanks again!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back