Mint Graflex sells for $760.00 on Ebay!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Trilan, May 10, 2015.

1. Trilan

Trilan Jr Member

Andymac84 and Wolfsburg like this.
  2. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

The times, they are a-changin'...

Reelo and mvanwalks421 like this.
  3. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

I've been watching that auction (I'm sure most of us were),and was surprised when it passed $500 but $760 is insane. It was a true beauty, practically NOS, but that price still is outrageous. Yikes!

4. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Madness.

5. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

Oh. My. God.

6. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

But it did come with a bulb in it!

7. BobasBounty

BobasBounty Well-Known Member

So glad I got my Graflex flashes around 17 years ago. One could still get one fairly cheap at antique shops, camera specialty shops and even pawn shops. I got my very first Graflex 3 cell from a camera shop for $30 back in 1998.

Andymac84 likes this.
  8. RexKramer

RexKramer Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this one!

This is the highest I have seen.

Glad I got mine for $340 shipped last week!

9. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

Today was the day for record breakers - a stylus brush for £400 ....I did cheer for that sale though, even though I wasn't bidding.

10. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Some people want it that bad, I guess. I hope they don't end up with buyer's remorse because its doubtful they'd ever get their money back if they tried to resell it.

11. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

12. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I picked up a really nice one along with a sound and light kit for around $200 less than a year ago...

13. Edraven99

Edraven99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That just makes the 3-cell that I bought off of Iicarris in the Junkyard for $125 that got lost in transit last month sting just a little more... Mind you this one was nowhere near mint... But it still stings just the same :(

14. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Score ! Honestly in the condition it's in, I'm not sure it's worth $25"

ha!

15. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A little metal polish goes a long way.

dcarty and mugatu like this.
  16. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow- I had no idea they were so cheap. PM me if you want to sell one.

17. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think the accoutrement had some to do with it...not THAT much to do with it, but an extra $100-ish (just my opinion).

Also, I think it bares (sp?) repeating, for any Graflex shoppers, it would behoove you to read the entire Graflex Vs. Replica thread by scottjua, here:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=144206&highlight=Scottjua+Graflex

Be very aware of what you are buying before committing to that "bid" click. And that is not to say that a replica has no value either. They are worth a bit too, but if you are looking for a genuine one, it will really help to be aware of the tell-tale differences.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Wavey likes this.
  18. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

...which is absolutely crazy, since transcriptor.eu offers these for about 160 GBP NEW!!!

Back the days when I bought my first graflex´s, prices were between $250-500 (incl. s&h to germany). Got my last two for $200 ea.

Markus

Markus

Wavey likes this.
  19. OdiWan72

Which is why the RE replicas should have some kind of tell...I am sure Roman will make them indistiguishable from the real deal ;).

Markus

mugatu likes this.
  20. Reelo

Reelo Sr Member

You guys in the US are lucky to live where you do. Those suckers are far more rare over here in Europe as they are in the US, I think.

mugatu likes this.
  21. mugatu

True, but EVERYTHING else, real parts Star Wars, is way more rare here in the U.S.

22. Andymac84

Andymac84 Sr Member

In my opinion, everything over 300 isn't okay to pay..but probably this is a rarity case, meanwhile? On the other side they're still common...every week a new one turns up on fleabay.:unsure

The other thing is, do I really need a mint one? No. A small amount of polish gives every little rusty points a new shine to it..

mugatu likes this.
  23. OdiWan72

...but still cheaper than here in europe in many cases ;) :lol

Markus

mugatu likes this.
  24. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Since we're comparing price sizes: I got my Graflex for $175 shipped. I thought it was a bit much for something that wasn't "mint" at the time but :lol hey, better I got it then than now. But, mint doesn't really coincide with what I imagine to exist in the Star Wars universe, anyway.:p

Panaflex and Andymac84 like this.
  25. RexKramer

RexKramer Well-Known Member

Hence why I bit the bullet and dropped $340 on mine last week.

These things are only going to get higher.

Just wait until December.

mugatu likes this.
  26. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I would certainly hope so ... I'd like to buy a fully dressed Yoda 4.0 from Cyberman for at least 2 completed Luke TFA lightsabers made with most found vintage parts and as full kits ... next year :wacko

Chaim

27. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

I remember this graflex thread! Nice to see all the differences - but did we ever determine which variations appeared in ANH and ESB?

28. mugatu

Well, it is hard to say because only one of them shows the stamping on the bottom, thanks to the wonders of BluRay HD. And that is the close up of the bottom of Luke's ESB saber stuck in the snow inside the wampa cave. That one is a Folmer New York (which is the Folmer variation without the patent number). As far as what I have gathered, all but perhaps one of the Graflexes onscreen in the OT are the LK variation red button. There is one stunt possibly with the Short Knurl red button...

Beyond that, in the OT, it is really pretty difficult to see any of the tells up close and clearly... I mean, did they use screws or rivets??? HAHAHA

- - - Updated - - -

Also switching of the number of red buttons, a glass eye shows up on Dagobah (or at least a red button is missing there).

Westies14 and Panaflex like this.
  29. Andymac84

Andymac84 Sr Member

That's true:thumbsup

30. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Always seems to be the 5000+ feedback people who place the crazy high bids. Ebay really * me off sometimes.

31. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Red button is missing.

32. Crimsonnaire

Crimsonnaire Well-Known Member

That's interesting. Do Graflexes ever go for more than MPP's in Europe?

33. Reelo

Reelo Sr Member

I rarely ever check. But I never see any Graflex auctions over here, nor any MPP ones. All I have is a Heiland which I converted up to MPP specs. But I bought that via ebay in the US over a decade ago.

34. DaveG

DaveG Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hope the person that bought it is a camera collector and not going to turn it into a light saber. I have no problem with people doing so but considering the mint condition, it's a remarkable piece.

35. mugatu

This one sold for more than the last MPP that I saw sell.
    And although barely used, this one still had some blemishes (which the seller was stand-up enough to point out)...which is why I say the extra pieces (box, etc.) added a bit to the entire package.

36. 2keepandbear

2keepandbear Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I had my eye on two other Graflex handles that were around $200... BOTH shot up to over $400 overnight. :-(

37. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

In Europe there was a converted GRAFLEX (old converted GRAFLEX, everything was wrong) yesterday which was around 112€ (125$) until 10 minutes before the ending. It raised up to 470€ (525$) plus shipping...

38. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Everyone be AWARE! The item 131505889652 on eBay is not a genuine GRAFLEX!

39. mugatu

Watch out posting direct info to live auctions...

...although, now that you mention it, I have had correspondence with the seller several times since he posted this and I told him why I suspected it was a replica. It's actually what prompted me to post the scottjua thread up there.
    The seller assures me that this is authentic. I pointed out the bunny ears rivet being a screw and asked for better photos, which he did respond and post several in much better lighting, but no photo of the screw.

Through speaking with him, I don't have any reason to believe that he is intentionally misleading anyone though. I think he believes that it really is authentic.

40. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

He might, but it's not original. Even the clamp lettering matches replicas...

41. mugatu

I told him that too! Haha

42. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I've seen plenty MPP's up for auction mostly in the UK ... pricec varied from £181 (mine) to quite a lot more gold-pressed latinum ... however I've rarely seen the correct 1 step shroud attached :wacko

Chaim

mugatu likes this.
  43. mugatu

The seller wrote me back. He thinks someone pulled a fast one when they sold it to him. The pins appear like they may be original. Someone could have swapped the Bakelite guts and pins, or just the pins. Either way, he has changed the auction. I feel bad for him. At least he has the good Parks' version Graflex in hand!

KaanE likes this.
  44. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If we see vaders saber in TFA I can only imagine the MPP's price jump...

Sym-Cha, mugatu and thd9791 like this.
  45. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm aghast, I've always had a problem with the demand mark-up on the junk we collect. Neither of my graflexes cost me more than 50 bucks...

Also, it IS within the guidelines to post live auctions regarding their authenticity. If they're scams, etc. I'm glad he did.

KaanE and mugatu like this.
  46. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's my fear Tom, now I'm afraid to bid on a graflex with out you guys approval. I don't know enough about the differences, though I have that thread bookmarked encase I do find one I want. I plan on trying to find camera swap meets near me to try and find one... I am having a hard enough time spending 300 on one let alone 760....

Sym-Cha and thd9791 like this.
  47. Crimsonnaire

The pins do have the correct shape, but they're in mint condition, having a bright yellow appearance as opposed to a dark reddish yellow. IMO, that's just as much of a giveaway as the rest.

48. Crimsonnaire

Having the Graflex back is already pushing it, but I understand why they did it. I mean, it embodies the Skywalker legacy. Besides, the prop team would have a pain in the * time finding an original MPP to convert. But hey, maybe the Graflex they used in TFA is actually a replica instead of an original. :lol

49. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

Apparently it is indeed an original Graflex they used.

50. Crimsonnaire

And this was determined just from the second trailer...?