MG15 Sandtrooper Heavy Rifle -- pics and info updated

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
lonepigeon wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
I'm pretty sure this is also the one currently in a private collector's hands. It's currently missing the front barrel/receiver...
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Chris, I am not entirely sure I understand what you are saying here. Is the entire front of the gun missing or do you just mean the barrel is missing but the shroud is still there?

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Brak's Buddy wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
You can get them at IMA. http://www.ima-usa.com/p1d.html Look down at the bottom at "Air Cooled" ...$890 and that does NOT include the THREE very hard to find and VERY expsensive (way more expensive than the gun itself, combined) scopes...
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Thanks, I'll cross it off my list.
icon_lol.gif

Jason....
icon_lol.gif

Chris,

Just curious....what do you see that makes you think that

both Snooperscopes are real??

The No.32 scope in my photo is the incorrect MKIII.

CW scope on asap is a MKII but does not have the brass front.

I am leaning towards the front scope being a MKI.

The only noticable diference between the MKI and MKII is the

MKI has a slideable eye piece on it. In a few pics I have seen

of the movie prop the eye piece seems to be a different

material just like the MKI.....what does everyone else think???

Lordsandy

Brak's,

I think thats a MKII.

Does anybody have the book "The British Sniper" it has some comparison pics of the three scopes together.....cool book.

Lordsandy

Hmmmmmm,

Nope, thats not the book.

In my book it says the only thing different from the MKI and MKII is that the MKI had a moving sun shade on the bell end.

In the pic it looked brass also......oh well.....cant believe everything you read I guess....
icon_smile.gif

LS

LordSandy-
"Chris,
Just curious....what do you see that makes you think that
both Snooperscopes are real?? "

I was just repeating Gav's summary from further up the thread which combined info from TK818.

I believe it's correct though. Bapty was (is?) the largest movie armoury in the UK. It's not hard to believe they had two scopes. Their casting skills weren't the greatest either- think of how bad the Merr Sonns look. Besides that I don't see them wasting the time to replicate the snooperscope cable etc.
I'm hesistant to believe that one of the MG-15's has a cast receiver, but I have nothing to dispute that yet.

Ok, from what I can tell the Snooper Scope is held in place with two metal straps that attach to a mounting plate that is screwed onto the
top of the receiver behind the ammo drum.

The British Sniper Scope is mounted on a bent rod attached to a metal bar stuck into the anti aircraft sight mount.
The bent rod probably attaches to the scope rings.
It looks like the mount that comes with the scope isn't attached to anything, it just rests against the barrel.

The Single Point has two scope rings but only the front ring is mounted to a plate attached on the side of the gun.
The rear ring is free floating (I'd give it a mounting plate though).

Hope this helps:

MG-15scopeMount.jpg

"I'm hesistant to believe that one of the MG-15's has a cast receiver"

From the shots I've seen it's absolutely cast (and not a very good one).
All the detail is rounded off and the trigger is missing or more likely cleyed over like the DH17's.
They did paint the pistol grip brown though : )

BTW, I've seen another shot of an MG-34 that has a WOOD receiver!
The barrel is real but the entire back of the gun is a badly carved chunk of wood.

Wood receiver? really weird.
Which MG-34 was that? the one with or without the bipod?

These oddball guns might be what they hauled out to Tunisia. Strict firearm regulations could be to blame.
There's also the oddball Sterling with the resin back half.

Great information Richard.......thank you!

Do you think they could have cut and modified the original sight and bent it up to support the scope??

The real sights were held in place by a pin.

Jim S.

Do you have a shot of the original site?
The post holding the bent rod is being held on with a pin.
It does look like part of the original MG 15 because it's well made and the bent rod has a sleeve of thicker metal where it attaches to the
rod.

Chris, yes, I think most of the pics were from the Tunisia shoot.
There are also Gaffi Sticks and the Luke Farm boy Riffle, all the heavy blasters seen in Tunisia but no DH-17's (to my eternal frustration).

"Which MG-34 was that? the one with or without the bipod?"

It has the bipod and it has the grip material on the barrel.
There's another MG34 in the collection of pics with no modifications at all.
It has the Bakalite shoulder stock with the metal corners and the sling is still attached.
There is also the Lewis Gun but no modifications have been done to it.

TK818,

Thanks for the illustration.

So just to confirm the real scope bracket does nothing....right?

Braks Buddy,

Could you post a pic of the front sight?? Maybe its made from that one?

Lordsandy

ARGH!!! I can't find ANYTHING that looks like what TK818 posted. I have two guesses but both are pretty reaching...

1. A large spider sight was chopped up and the outside esges of the ring were bent to make the new scope mount.

2. The circular part with the crosshairs of a spider site is generally bolted/rivetted to an actual mount that sticks in the gun. Perhaps the circular part was removed and new material was added to the remaining mount.

TK818, let me go a step beyond Lorsandy's question because I am not 100% clear. The priginal sscope mount is fully intact and still attache dto the scope but just kinda hangs off the side, right?

Brak's Buddy,

I was thinking your #1 would be the correct answer but if not then I would think your #2 would be correct......got all that?
icon_wink.gif

I will post some pics of what I think the British No.32 scope is and maybe TK818 can confirm or reject it based on his pictures.

I do think the real mount is there......its just not doing anything!

This has been great....thanks for all the input on this topic!

Lordsandy

Specifically, I'd like closeup photos of:
- the small site on the end
- the snooper scope mount
- snooper scope lenses.
Thanks man!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back