MG15 Sandtrooper Heavy Rifle -- pics and info updated

Whewhoo! I hope over the next few days/weeks to add all the info I have discovered while working on my MG-15. I hope all the rest of you MG-15 lovers will join in!

Hey Brak,

OK, i've cleaned out the old "request to archive" posts so the thread's a bit more "neat". If you need anything else edited (extra/dead posts removed, pic links fixed, etc) just PM me or whichever mod you see on...

tom

K, I will probably be editting this post several times to get all the info in....

The front scope, an Enfield No 32 MkII, is attached to the MG15 at the rear anti-aircraft sight mount utilizing the No 32's original scope mount and a custom scope mount. Below are two images originally posted by TK-818 depicting the custom scope mount.

[attachmentid=3583]

Here is a pic I put together scaling in a real No 32 scope and a real MG15.

[attachmentid=3584]

[attachmentid=3585]

Some of this information was previously posted by TK818.

The Enfield No 32 scope seen on the MG15 in ANH had some of the paint removed revealing brass underneath. The image below points out the section that should be sanded down to the bare (brass) metal.

[attachmentid=3586]

Areas that should be brass:

1. The outer rims of the windage and elevation knobs.

2. The long tube (sun shade?) at the front of the scope.

3. The thin ring at the very back of the scope.

#2 has a real singlepoint for sure (though I would've numbered them the other way-I'd call this #1).
I'm pretty sure this is also the one currently in a private collector's hands. It's currently missing the front barrel/receiver, front scope, and singlepoint.

I believe the private collector lonepigeon is referring to is David Oliver from propmasters.net You can find a VERY small picture of the gun under "The David Oliver Collection" at that site.

Here is a resized version:

[attachmentid=3587]

After finding this, I wrote David and asked if he would mind making any better photos available. He responded:

"sorry, no. the photos of my collection on my website are purposely small to prevent replica makers."

I continued to question him about his gun. he wrote:

"both guns were actually 'cut down' for promotional shots after filming. The prime photo example is in one of the uk poster magazines from 1977 which features the guns (inc. mine) in it's shortened state as mine is today.

i obtained mine indirectly from the publicist some 16 years ago."

Just for reference, according to what David wrote, he received the gun around 1987.

The poster magazine he is referring to is the one I have posted earlier in this thread. You can clearly see in that poster that one of the guns is "cut down." It is possible that the second gun is cut as well, but you can't tell due to it going off the side of the poster. From what I can tell, if there were ONLY two MG-15s used in ANH, it appears David's gun is the one on the left in the poster magazine due to the similarities in the eyecap on the snooperscope (which appears to be slightly different on each gun).

#2 has a real singlepoint for sure (though I would've numbered them the other way-I'd call this #1).
I'm pretty sure this is also the one currently in a private collector's hands. It's currently missing the front barrel/receiver, front scope, and singlepoint.

I believe the private collector lonepigeon is referring to is David Oliver from propmasters.net You can find a VERY small picture of the gun under "The David Oliver Collection" at that site.

Here is a resized version:

[attachmentid=3587]

After finding this, I wrote David and asked if he would mind making any better photos available. He responded:

"sorry, no. the photos of my collection on my website are purposely small to prevent replica makers."

I continued to question him about his gun. he wrote:

"both guns were actually 'cut down' for promotional shots after filming. The prime photo example is in one of the uk poster magazines from 1977 which features the guns (inc. mine) in it's shortened state as mine is today.

i obtained mine indirectly from the publicist some 16 years ago."

Just for reference, according to what David wrote, he received the gun around 1987.

The poster magazine he is referring to is the one I have posted earlier in this thread. You can clearly see in that poster that one of the guns is "cut down." It is possible that the second gun is cut as well, but you can't tell due to it going off the side of the poster. From what I can tell, if there were ONLY two MG-15s used in ANH, it appears David's gun is the one on the left in the poster magazine due to the similarities in the eyecap on the snooperscope (which appears to be slightly different on each gun).

Hi

Yes, I am very lucky to own this, it's actually one of my favourite pieces. It was either cut down for the publicity photo shoot or damaged upon return from Tunisia, I've always hoped it was the latter as the vision of some idiot hacking it off is too much to bear! I did take it along with me to Celebration Europe where I was one of the Prop Panel Speakers. It will be posted to the 'Collection' section of the website at some point.

- David

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back