Limited Run Metal Noisy Cricket from FIRST Men in Black (1997) AVAILABLE

Got my box! Can't stop grinning.:p:p

Anybody started theirs yet? I think (no, I know) I need some tips on how to set up the LEDs and getting that shiny finish...

Started it!

Can anyone tell me what size the screws are? I think I need to tap some holes but have no idea what size.

IMG_6860.jpg

I started a build log over here:

The Noisy Cricket Build
https://www.therpf.com/forums/index.php?threads/The-Noisy-Cricket-Build.303631/

First five were shipped. But your will be ready after weekend ;)

I will make instruction for you guys ;)

Hello Elilay,
Where are we at with the instructions?
I'm very well advanced in my kit reguarding the metal work but there is no way to guess what you intended with all the screws.
Please help us

Got mine this week. Just got to find some time to start polishing until the instructions are ready.

elilay,
what about the instructions please?
we discussed by PM a while ago, you said you would really work on your communication and all, please do ;)

Just a drawing or a few pics of where the screws go and what size they are would be great already.
Cheers

Eethan how has the metal work been going? What was your formula for finishing? I want to start my kit next week. Thanks!

Eethan how has the metal work been going? What was your formula for finishing? I want to start my kit next week. Thanks!

Hey,
so far, I'm pretty well advanced on the metal work on the kit, just have the grip frame to clean and then try to improve the big back piece that has lots of deep surfaces that are hard to reach with the process I used.

I have been doing everything by hand, sanding on perfectly flat surfaces then using smaler and smaler grain of sandpaper, starting at 320 and ending at 12000. (I'm a guitar maker and used a wet sanding sandpaper kit for laquer finishing). Then I polished by hand with mother and mag polish. It's great, you just rub it by hand and the result is great.

DSC01565.jpg

For the big casting flaw that I had at the front of the main part, I used silver solder wire like McKeePhoto depicted in his thread:
It worked nicelly and the part is already better looking but I didn't manage to get a perfect surface without any small crevices sadly.
DSC01566.jpg

good luck for your kit, it's very fun to work on.

elilay,
can you at least confirm quickly that the large grub screw is M4, all the other screws exept the really small one are M3 and that there is no need to tap the small one as it has nuts?
thank you.

Hey Eethan thanks for the tips and the pictures - your parts are looking great! I am a frustrated luthier myself, and it just dawned on me that I probably have some good stuff to work on this kit hidden in my box of unused StewMac stuff, including some really fine sandpapers. I've been making some homemade sanding sticks for that blocky back piece and also to fit into the vent holes of the 'barrel.'

I'm hoping to get instructions also.

Hey Eethan thanks for the tips and the pictures - your parts are looking great! I am a frustrated luthier myself, and it just dawned on me that I probably have some good stuff to work on this kit hidden in my box of unused StewMac stuff, including some really fine sandpapers. I've been making some homemade sanding sticks for that blocky back piece and also to fit into the vent holes of the 'barrel.'

I'm hoping to get instructions also.
sounds like you have all the material and skills to make it look great! sorry to hear about the luthier frustration though :oops: just send your stewmac box my way ;)
for the vent holes and all the preparation of the parts, I used needle files too, that works great ;)

Hahaaa Eethan thanks for your condolences I will get that shipped right out! (y) I only completed one instrument - yes a concert scale cigar box ukulele! Neck through design with a nice piece of solid white oak from Home Depot (lol), scarf jointed headstock, faux painted fretboard (another lol) Indian rosewood headstock veneer, bone nut and rosewood saddle. And actually if I do say so myself, the action is pretty good as well as the intonation. Nice plunky chime to it also! But I digress- time to build the cricket!

Attachments

• IMG_1853.jpg
    IMG_1853.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 101

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back