MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Assuming they're not solid (which they may be to create weight), it may very well create a hole in the bottom of the board, but you could either;

a) Put the new magnets over the top to hide it.

or if they don't cover it properly (which I think they should)
b) put something flat in there first.
The problem is the screen accurate magnets are smaller than the Mattel magnets, so even if you sanded down the ones which are already there, you wouldn't be able to just cover them up. Perhaps if you were prepared to repaint the entire board so you could get the old and new areas to match perfectly it would work. I'm certainly not going to stop anyone from trying! :)

Is anyone out there making boards? I have a Matty one on the way but wouldn't mind having a more screen accurate one. hoverboard.org.uk doesn't make them anymore. Any suggestions on who I could go to for a fully done-up board would be appreciated! Thanks!

Here are the dimensions of certain parts of the top of the board... if you need another dimension from what I have listed, please let me know.

http://tinyurl.com/bjlozfh

Wow, that's more than I had expected. Thanks! :) Just three questions:

If you say "bottom of board", do you mean the end of the board on the right side or the end of the decal/sticker on the right side? (I guess it's the last one.)

Your PURPLE measurement: did you use a hard plastic ruler or a tape-measure? A tape-measure can be placed directly on the bent kicktail and gives more precise results.

The decal on the lower side of the board: does it have the same total length and width as the decal on the upper side?

Thanks again for your help! :)

Look what arrived today! And no, it's not from Matty Collector... this is custom designed replica with took over months of painstaking focused research, and years of general research on the prop. The lenticular is custom, and it took FOREVER to get the right color (not offering it for sale at this time). Die cut vinyl decals, perfect angles on all stripes, screen matched paint. The entire thing was built by a season replica maker to absolute perfection, and it's as solid as a rock (even though it is made out of foam). Whatever arrives from Matty, I will still have a smile on my face. :)

Special thanks to Roland for the hero hoverboard logo vector. I tweaked it and modified it a bit but he laid out the groundwork.

Looks awesome. I'm sure many would like to open their Mattel boards and have the same satisfaction you're getting.

DPM, I placed my order as soon as the website let me. I assumed I was receiving some of the cancelled hoverboards, since they shipped the next day.

I found a perfect fitting cap for the hole post, it has a lip and the right depth to create the more shallow look of some the of the film boards. It'll be easier to paint this black and plug it in. It came from an old metallic canister used for film, Kodacolor-X CX 828.

Mine was waiting for me at the door right before I had to head off for work. I haven't opened it yet, so I'm crossing my fingers for an adequate decal application. The inner box has a bit of a crease down the front though, but whatever :p

I'm not that surprised that so many people are upset at the quality of the board, but I for one am really freakin' jazzed that I FINALLY own a Mattel hoverboard, inaccurate or not. To everyone who's upset, I say this:

1. We're the RPF...we've got the resources and talent to make our ****** boards better.

2. TECHNICALLY whatever Mattel makes is "canon." This may sound like a huge, huge stretch, but if hoverboard technology WERE real by 2012 and Mattel had the patent for it, THIS is how the shell of their boards would look. Right? RIGHT?!!

Anywho, I plan on replacing the foot strap and velcro and maybe replugging the handle bar hole like madmantrez detailed above...but aside from sanding down the legal markings on the battery pack and repainting or repolishing the cover, I'm going to leave the underside alone. Frosty's magnet kit is tempting, but for all the trouble it sounds like it's going to be removing and filling the molded plastic of the Mattel board, you might as well make your own from scratch.

And yes, if Mattel makes a Pitbull, I'm buying it too.

-Jonaas

If you apply green velcro to the board, finding a cap with a lip will also help in masking that curved cut, making it look cleaner. You can also get some white adhesive vinyl or sticker sheet, and make a stripe to go around the green foot pad, if you're missing that detail.

Every one I've shown the mattel board to has been impressed or excited by it. They're not all into building props, they just liked the movies and knew what is was immediately. So, it doesn't fail as a display or conversation piece.

has anyone else noticed the vinyl graphic (the main part from the back of the board up to the pink velcro) is in two parts? there's an overlap halfway up the footpad (you can see if in the high res pic posted earlier)! why didn't they do that in one piece?! (or atleast lay the graphcs so they lined up perfectly)

Could someone please post the link to Rolands Graphic? on here. Thanks

It only took me a moment using the search tool above and Google,
but here you are:

http://www.therpf.com/f40/back-future-67267/index52.html#post2384684

I heard that new members have no access to the paper prop forum. My files are no secret, so here they are:

The A1 poster size versions:

Stunt board: Mattel_Hoverboard_Decals_Stunt_Version_remade_by_Roland_Zubcic_A1.pdf
Hero board: Mattel_Hoverboard_Decals_Hero_Version_remade_by_Roland_Zubcic_A1.pdf

The A3 and US-Tabloid size versions:

Stunt board (A3): Mattel_Hoverboard_Decals_Stunt_Version_remade_by_Roland_Zubcic_A3.pdf
Stunt board (US-Tabloid): Mattel_Hoverboard_Decals_Stunt_Version_remade_by_Roland_Zubcic_US-Tabloid.pdf

Hero board (A3): Mattel_Hoverboard_Decals_Hero_Version_remade_by_Roland_Zubcic_A3.pdf
Hero board (US-Tabloid): Mattel_Hoverboard_Decals_Hero_Version_remade_by_Roland_Zubcic_US-Tabloid.pdf

Thanks for posting them here, Roland! And amazing job, of course.

I believe the reason the graphics are split is so the manufacturing process is easier. Which would be why the magnets and the footpad are so inaccurate.

EDIT: Just realized, this may be the same reason why the velcro has to be in a recessed channel.

TECHNICALLY whatever Mattel makes is "canon." This may sound like a huge, huge stretch, but if hoverboard technology WERE real by 2012 and Mattel had the patent for it, THIS is how the shell of their boards would look. Right? RIGHT?!!
That's exactly what I said and I don't even think it's a stretch. The hoverboards built for the film were custom, one-off pieces meant for a motion picture. If Mattel actually made a 'real' hoverboard (say, if the movie didn't exist and the technology was real), I think it would look very similar to the one they've released. Overall I'm happy with the materials they chose, I just hate that the sticker application is so poor and the size of those magnets is not aesthetically pleasing to me at all.

Every one I've shown the mattel board to has been impressed or excited by it. They're not all into building props, they just liked the movies and knew what is was immediately.
Indeed... only those of use who really care about it are going to notice the differences. However, this is a $130+ prop replica, so the only people who are going to invest in it are the people who really care about it. I'm sure it will be "good enough" for the general public, but unfortunately that's not the target market of this product. I still see comments on YouTube all the time saying things like, "wait, it doesn't actually hover? Who would spend money on that?!"

has anyone else noticed the vinyl graphic (the main part from the back of the board up to the pink velcro) is in two parts?
Yep, I mentioned that in my review on page 65 (there's also a really close up photo of just that area). What's worse is the decal on the bottom side is actually FOUR stickers - and like the front, they're also joined together by ugly scotch tape. It looks really bad. Fortunately the sticker joints on the bottom are covered up by the magnet plates, so people aren't going to see them. The ones on top are plain as day, though.

If you say "bottom of board", do you mean the end of the board on the right side or the end of the decal/sticker on the right side? (I guess it's the last one.)
Yeah, it's where the line goes in the illustration, to the edge of the sticker (not the edge of the board itself). I worded it poorly, sorry.

Your PURPLE measurement: did you use a hard plastic ruler or a tape-measure? A tape-measure can be placed directly on the bent kicktail and gives more precise results.
I did use a tape measure (aluminum) but even that was a bit rigid. The measurements are very close, but I'm going to see if I can find a cloth or paper one today and get you ultra-precise results. Thank you for everything you do.

The decal on the lower side of the board: does it have the same total length and width as the decal on the upper side?
I *believe* so but I haven't measured the bottom yet. That's still to come. :)

Bob Gale Not Impressed with Mattel's Prop-Replica Hoverboard:

Bob Gale Not Impressed with Mattel?s Prop-Replica Hoverboard | BEYOND THE MARQUEE

I pre-ordered mine back in March just like most of you guys, I was truly excited and then saddened by all the short comings of the final product. Mine is out for delivery, supposedly by Wednesday, I am looking forward to getting it just wish it would've lived up to all the promises that were originally made. It would be great if they could elevate this up to someone in corporate and get these boards done right once and for all...

News | Bob Gale says Mattel's hoverboard replica did not live up to his expectations; okay to throw eggs at him : Back to the Future - BTTF.com
Here is the same letter originally from BTTF.com.

So glad to see that Bob Gale came forward with his statement and he didn't avoid the topic dealing with the sub-par quality of the Mattel hoverboard.

Photographed version of the graphics without the lenticular material would have been fine if they had atleast chosen the correct graphics, accurate size of the disks and foot strap among other details.

News | Bob Gale says Mattel's hoverboard replica did not live up to his expectations; okay to throw eggs at him : Back to the Future - BTTF.com
Here is the same letter originally from BTTF.com.

So glad to see that Bob Gale came forward with his statement and he didn't avoid the topic dealing with the sub-par quality of the Mattel hoverboard.

Photographed version of the graphics without the lenticular material would have been fine if they had atleast chosen the correct graphics, accurate size of the disks and foot strap among other details.

I thought I couldn't like Bob Gale anymore than I already did... but he proved me wrong! :thumbsup

Indeed and besides telling Mattel they screwed up, he also took personal responsibility for it now as many (including myself) became convinced about the quality of the product after he came into the picture with Mattel and gave high praise for it back then. It's truly great to have Bob Gale still caring about the Back to the Future franchise and its fans.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back