MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by hound97, Feb 12, 2012.

1. hound97

hound97 New Member

Back to the Future Hover Board Finally! This totally awesome 1:1 replica of the hover board from the BTTF 2 and BTTF 3 films includes multiple whooshing sounds and will glide over most surfaces (does not actually "hover" – check back in 2015 for that feature). We'll be taking orders for it March 1 – March 20, 2012, and the final product will be shipped around November/December 2012. Because this is such a high-cost item, there will be a minimum number of orders required to go into production. If we don't receive the minimum orders, won't go into production and customers will not be charged. The price will be announced later this month. (Note: Hover board does not work on water.)

MattyCollector.com Online Store

2. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Re: Mattel Hoverboard

Do it or do it not, there is no try... :lol

High cost?!? Tere are awesome hoverboards out, so if that thing will cost more than $250, I dont thin this will be a hot seller...

3. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Toy fair pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. agliarept

agliarept Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

sorry this sounds a little TOO GOOD to be true. i can't process the news, seriously, my nerd rage wants to refute this can't be possible lol.

seriously, that's pretty good, I will be definitely ordering 1 for sure. or if not, 2 but Im interested to see if "glide". what tech are they using to make this happen?

5. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ugh...really? That looks like crap!

6. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is that the final product? Doesn't look so accurate (not to say very cheap). The boards from "hoverboard.org.uk" look much more accurate.

7. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They are prototypes, the basic board is there but some parts were missing. The stickers do not have the reflective material on them, it has been brought to their attention but I don't know if they are going to do anything about that or not. It sounds like they are far into the final production of most of the 2012 figures and pieces.

8. Roland

Will it be a replica of the hero board (REALLY accurate holographic texture) or the stunt board (printed non-holographic texture)?

9. Jedifyfe

I can't that they will do the holographic "hero" version since that would be MUCH more cost to them and it only appeals to the avid collectors like us.

10. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Sorry to say that, but I dont like the holographic effect. I owned the bttf123 board with lenticular foil, but the other boards without looked more cooler to me, so I decide to get one of these...

I sure the matty board will be a pink plastic board with just a big sticker on it...

Maybe I have to wait for the first reviews if that thing goes in production...

Normally I want to order one of the co.uk boards...

Let's wait for a price on March 1st...

11. Roland

I don't like the holographic effect of bttf123's boards too, because it looks like a cheap x-mas wrapping paper (sorry). The REAL holographic effect of the screen used boards would be much better.

12. Jedifyfe

I would ONLY buy this under 2 conditions

1) It had screen accurate holographic material and details
    2) didn't have screen accurate holographic material and details but was $50.

13. ComedicHistory

ComedicHistory Active Member

There's a guy selling these and the other 3 boards on eBay all the time...it goes for $130. I can't attest to the screen accuracy but they look good.

14. Jedifyfe

You are referring to a non licensed replica. This would be made by MATTEL.

15. Devil Master

Devil Master New Member

I would ONLY buy this under 2 conditions:

1) It hovered
    2) It sustained my weight

As it is, there's nothing different than these except that it's Mattel making an expensive low quality prop instead of someone else making a cheaper, higher quality prop.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  16. Roland

Okay, on this pic it looks much better:

[​IMG]

17. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

What's Wilford Brimely doing in that picture?

18. Devil Master

Devil Master New Member

The "glide" and "2015" parts are jokes. The real, and most important, part of the remark, is:

19. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

That is, unless, they somehow figured out how to actually do it and plan on surprising everyone when they release it. J/k :D

20. Jedifyfe

That photo looks like pics of the stunt board from the movie. I am doubtful that is a pic of the board that Mattel has made.

21. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That banner is misleading, the photo of the board with back and front is taken from the Profiles in History listing photo. Bad marketing by Mattel.

Let's hope they improve on the prototype. Even if it's just going to be a photo (stunt) hoverboard they need to change it for more accuracy.

EDIT:

Here is the comparison shot, Mattel used the photo from the August 2008 Profiles in History auction. PIH provided a very hi-res shot of the board for that listing back then.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  22. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

Don't get mad guys, it's like if Nike released some MAGS but they didn't Power Lace! :rolleyes , oh! darn forget it.

At least it would be from Mattel.

23. Vivek

IxMAGICx1 likes this.
  24. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll save the money and stick with my replica board. This one will be an overpriced piece that doesn't compare to the replicas.

25. Jedifyfe

/\ Aha! I knew I was right...

26. DB537

DB537 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You are referring to the eBay seller "indy_pickers". I would stay away from this guy. Most of the images in his listings are not his own. He used photos from Mike/hoverboard.org.uk and other sellers without their permission, to hide the major accuracy/quality issues with his own boards. He also has been known to bribe buyers for positive feedback before their item is even shipped, so they can't leave a negative when they see the actual boards.

27. Vivek

Close up shots of the prototype.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

Not bad for a toy, I'd get one if the price is right. As for accuracy did we really expect it to be perfect? I mean what company has done a mass produced replica as perfect and accurate as the original? There are always some sort of inaccuracies for licensed mass produced goods especially from a toy company. The overall look is there though.

29. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

Message Deleted.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  30. steveo3002

steveo3002 Well-Known Member

sticker looks like its lifting in that pic

its a crying shame these companys could make great collectables but seen happy to pass off stuff theyve just thrown together with a few pics from google

31. lukebrynycz

lukebrynycz Well-Known Member

Hey, at least they are seeing the potential of the BTTF stuff again. It's coming back in big style, I can't wait for the power laced Mags in 2015.

32. Devil Master

Devil Master New Member

You are under the assumption that people did NOT get mad for that. Why?

33. Roland

This will not be a mass product. I don't believe, that you can produce a hoverboard as a toy and thousands of kids would buy it. It's not a light saber or a phaser, which they can play with. It's a product for display, which only adult prop collectors would buy. And why should they buy a cheap looking replica for much money, if they can buy a more accurate board for probably less money ("hoverboard.org.uk")?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  34. Borzou

Borzou Active Member

I'm sure that after this sells out, the eBay scalping is going to be just as ridiculous as the other "props" that matty has put out.

35. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am also leery since they don't post photos of the bottom yet. That could really make it look cheap.

36. thegreatgalling

thegreatgalling Sr Member

I am with all you guys. Usually, I withhold judgment until I see the actual item, but to throw a sticker on a plastic board and call it a prototype really doesn't inspire much confidence.

With that said, I am sure, like many of you, I will still buy it because that is what we do. :lol

37. joelgoodson

joelgoodson Well-Known Member

I just don't understand why they can't also produce the handlebar? The product is innacurate without it. :confused

38. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

I'll get one depending on price.

39. agliarept

im still curious to see how this thing glides, im betting that they could possibly use those "easy to move furniture" pads that let heavy object "glide" on hard surfaces.

the only other concern, if this is supposed to be played with, it would have to strong as hell to hold up an adult lol.

40. 11051955

11051955 Member

Doesn't the prototype images just look like computer generated renderings? They don't look like actual photographs to me.

41. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

no- I know people got mad, just poking fun- let loose man! Yeah this prop stuff is serious business.

42. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's been a LONG TIME coming for an official replica of this prop to come out....but dare I say too little too late?
    For those of you who own the bttf123 boards, they are the best. I know some of you have purchased his hero versions with the innacurate lenticular. I was lucky enough to get one while he still had the accurate lenticular.
    I also own one of his stunt boards. They are the best, hands down. Extremely accurate to the original props in almost every way.
    I can't see Matty putting something out that is any better - except for the novelty of sound effects, which in all honesty, is not accurate to the original prop.

43. agliarept

I can sum this up by qouting my friend and our member, atarian, who happens to work at my job a few feet away from me (creeper).

when asked about his thoughts on the board:
    "this is a hobby of accuracy, Mauro. without that, we are a bunch a f***ing
    idiots with toys that kind of look like stuff from movies"

Haven't laughed and agreed that much in ages. hahah

44. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Depending on price and undercarriage lol

45. DL4567

DL4567 Sr Member

That prototype looks terrible. It's a sticker, Mattel.... it's no more expensive to print the correct and accurate picture than it is to print a crappy looking picture. And what's with the single-width lines of velcro?
    If they don't vastly improve the production version, I'm not interested. Wonder if there will be any updated pics before committing to a pre-order. Or if you can get your money back if the final product is equally disappointing.

46. Mr. Nagata

Mr. Nagata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think this is a disappointment because Matty set the bar pretty high with their Ghostbusters props. That and the DS Star Trek toys. I think it's actually reasonable to expect a lot from these high end toys nowadays.

BTW, I'm selling one of the bttf123 boards in the Junkyard right now. One of the early ones with the correct lenticular sheet :angel

47. Vivek

I am wondering about that as well. If they show updated photos with a accurate looking photo board and is priced under $200, then I am placing my pre-order.

Hoping there is option to cancel orders before Nov 2012, if the later production hoverboard photos does not appear to be of good quality.

48. obi1kenny

obi1kenny Well-Known Member

No matter what the price is, I think they will reach their pre-sell numbers. There are people that don't have the contacts to good replicas that we have here but they will buy crap from adds and such without researching it just because it is officially licensed.

49. MrSinistar

MrSinistar Well-Known Member

I like the stunt board more than the hero to be honest; if this one is cheap enough, I'm in!

That being said, I think they should enlarge the sticker so that the "Hoverboard" words are closer to the edge, like the original.

50. slimesquare

slimesquare Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I bought one of his board by what Gen. Frosty said and its a fantastic board. My friend was stoked to receive it as a gift. This one doesnt look like its gonna be worth what they are gonna charge.