Mattel Proton Pack - speculation

I'm expecting a proton gun (or neutrona wand, call it whatever) more than a full pack. That's more the scale they're working on, and would be more than profitable enough for them.

So my money is on a proton gun next year. I would have said last year would be the goggles, but they went straight to the trap, and there's no way they'll go back a step now.

The thrower is useless without the pack. That would be a huge misstep.

Agreed. That would just be a waste of time. If you think the GB community complained about the trap and PKE, just imagine the PR attacks they will get if they release JUST the wand!

Yep, the pack in whole but don't do the wand only. I find a Matty pack is being pretty darn cool, I would look forward to such as well the fact there are those who otherwise could not don on the whole outfit. Anything that allows other GB fans to be able to be outfitted is great in my eyes. THAT issue alone makes for an incredible reason for Matty to go for this project. And if it was anything close to the quality of the trap, I would not mind popping it on as well, most of the public would have no problem with identifying it and would not be turning up their noses to it, rather it would be a magnet just as the nicer replica prop builds are now to most people.

The only worry I would have is that Matty would under manufacture these to the point they would be hard to find and purchase.

This teaser showed up from Mattel which is obviously a proton pack with some other stuff thrown in there.
what-will-mattels-next-prop-be.jpg

Jup, it is... So, maybe this time it's another thing from the pic, till all things in the picture are done... :lol

On the right side, this thing looks a little bit like some flowers... :lol

I think they should their packs in a two piece sales model. It could get a lot of interests on lower price(less parts because it's half a pack) and maybe not cut corners. They could sell just the gun and later on sell just the pack.

Ok, a thrower would be a nice display piece... But what should a GB do with just the gun without the Backpack... It doesn't make sense...

Hmm, I never thought about having the gun seperate. That's actually a nice idea.

If they could keep an entire pack around $399 or cheaper, that would be amazing. I would imagine most would say a doable/dream price is $299.

If they released the Proton Pack there would be a lot of sad folks that spent hundreds or thousands to get an accurate pack over the years.

While I agree that having the gun by itself doesn't make sense GB-wise, it's a great idea sales-wise. Yeah a thrower by itself would be boring (*makes gun sounds with mouth* "what are you doing?" "hunting ghosts!" "where's the pack?") but splitting the cost in two (both for production and for the customer) is a great move. I'm sure that Mattel has been putting some overtime thinking about putting out an affordable pack... This could be it.

If they released the Proton Pack there would be a lot of sad folks that spent hundreds or thousands to get an accurate pack over the years.

Nah, it would be like the other items. There will be people who get it and appreciate it for what it is and there will be people who have the more accurate replicas or want to build them who will trash the Matty release.

Actually, the two items sold separately would be more expensive because each one would have separate markups.

Maybe for the people who wants a quick pack for Halloween or something, but for many, Mattel's props are only toys. I wouldn't trade my trap for a Matty any day of the week.

Nope, because the Matty Pack (if Matty releases a pack) won't have real parts, no metal parts, and would look like plastic. After all, it is plastic. No need to sell all proton packs and get the matty pack, because the matty pack will be less acurate that all other packs...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back