Material Help

BlueEyedRaven91

In anticipation to the release of Star Wars VII, I thought that it would be pretty ambitious if I made a Togruta Jedi costume. My only problem is the headpiece. I am allergic to LATEX. What materials should I use that would give the head tails flexiblility but the montrals (horns) rigid and sturdy enough to stay on my head but not too heavy? Another issue is my hair; it's too long to put up without the headpiece looking bulky and misshapen. How can I make the head tails hollow in order to put my hair into them?

In anticipation to the release of Star Wars VII, I thought that it would be pretty ambitious if I made a Togruta Jedi costume. My only problem is the headpiece. I am allergic to LATEX. What materials should I use that would give the head tails flexiblility but the montrals (horns) rigid and sturdy enough to stay on my head but not too heavy? Another issue is my hair; it's too long to put up without the headpiece looking bulky and misshapen. How can I make the head tails hollow in order to put my hair into them?

Sorry this is sort of late, but you could actually feasibly use your hair to sort of "Stuff" the montrals and help them keep their shape! And while it's a more expensive option, you could always use silicone instead of latex. That would help keep the weight down and also help with your hair issue.

As far as other, cheaper materials go.... You could probably craft a fabric piece, using a slightly thicker fabric like neoprene. If you're worried about the montrals not being stiff enough, I bet you could craft them with Worbla and make a sort of "cap" that you then attach the fabric/lekku to.

I desperately want to make a Togruta headdress too, I hope these suggestions help!

[EDIT] Sorry, I totally didn't see that you wanted to put your hair in the montrals in the first place. I think when people sculpt them and cast them in latex they actually usually DO make them hollow to keep the weight down and stuff them. But the Worbla method would leave you with hollow Montrals that you can put your hair into

Sorry this is sort of late, but you could actually feasibly use your hair to sort of "Stuff" the montrals and help them keep their shape! And while it's a more expensive option, you could always use silicone instead of latex. That would help keep the weight down and also help with your hair issue.

As far as other, cheaper materials go.... You could probably craft a fabric piece, using a slightly thicker fabric like neoprene. If you're worried about the montrals not being stiff enough, I bet you could craft them with Worbla and make a sort of "cap" that you then attach the fabric/lekku to.

I desperately want to make a Togruta headdress too, I hope these suggestions help!

[EDIT] Sorry, I totally didn't see that you wanted to put your hair in the montrals in the first place. I think when people sculpt them and cast them in latex they actually usually DO make them hollow to keep the weight down and stuff them. But the Worbla method would leave you with hollow Montrals that you can put your hair into

Thanks! I've never heard of neoprene and Worbla before, so it's awesome that I'm learning new things despite my hours of researching methods, materials, and asking several costuming artists at Cons :)

Thanks! I've never heard of neoprene and Worbla before, so it's awesome that I'm learning new things despite my hours of researching methods, materials, and asking several costuming artists at Cons :)

No problem!

I've just thought of another potential solution: you could also carve the Montrals out of foam and cover them with fabric or Worbla. That would make them even more sturdy, and you could follow them out to stuff your hair in.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back