Marty McFly's Skateboard - Valterra Splatter Deck Conversion

IMG_9647.jpg
IMG_9649.jpg

Bringing back this thread thanks to the Hundred's release of their own Madrid Valterra theme board! Does not come pre-gripped unfortunately, I had to do that myself.

The board is a rather nice replica with its own inaccuracies (just like their Marty Jacket), but decent enough for the cost, although I could do without the BTTF decal on the back.

I'd love to paint it off but constantly my DIY fix-it projects never work out for me. I think I'll just print my own madrid stickers, and leave the inaccuracies the way it is.

If I really wanted to make an accurate board at this point, I could go get the Madrid explosion skateboards completed and replace the graphics, which I may save for a future day, but I'm just gonna have a good enough board for now.

View attachment 1505986View attachment 1505987

Bringing back this thread thanks to the Hundred's release of their own Madrid Valterra theme board! Does not come pre-gripped unfortunately, I had to do that myself.

The board is a rather nice replica with its own inaccuracies (just like their Marty Jacket), but decent enough for the cost, although I could do without the BTTF decal on the back.

I'd love to paint it off but constantly my DIY fix-it projects never work out for me. I think I'll just print my own madrid stickers, and leave the inaccuracies the way it is.

If I really wanted to make an accurate board at this point, I could go get the Madrid explosion skateboards completed and replace the graphics, which I may save for a future day, but I'm just gonna have a good enough board for now.
Like you I went in on the Hundreds decks too, got a couple of them, think I am going to sell 1 with all of the accessories to fund my BTTF addiction!

I also have a used Madrid Marty deck on its way to me that I got relatively cheap so I can either paint or possibly layer a vinyl graphic over so I can skate one!

Attachments

• Valterra Hundreds Madrid Deck + Accesories 2.jpg
    Valterra Hundreds Madrid Deck + Accesories 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 183
That's really very kind of you, Joe. But even if you wouldn't mind that I use your vector files for my own files, I would never do that. When it comes to creating my files, I only accept from people to help me getting good photos or scans of screen used props, but no help creating the actual files. :)

Sweet! They turned out great! It's nice to see my files actually printed on boards. I wasn't sure if my colors are accurate. I'm really proud of getting the chance to work on officially licensed BTTF stuff. :) If you should need any further assistance with BTTF props, just tell me! If I'm able to help, I will do. ;)
Where can I get the files to print my own version of Marty’s skateboard? I’m new to the scratch build.

I was so excited with how well this vinyl inkjet sticker paper prints that I didn't pay attention to the board colors that I was referencing. And realized it's a little 'hot pink/purple' in my original print. I updated to match more of the purple.. but it's not as bright.

I think I was pulling that pink color from a prop board or the remake, but what do you guys think looks better?

Attachments

• side by side 2.png
    side by side 2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 128
  • side by side1.png
    side by side1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 132
I was so excited with how well this vinyl inkjet sticker paper prints that I didn't pay attention to the board colors that I was referencing. And realized it's a little 'hot pink/purple' in my original print. I updated to match more of the purple.. but it's not as bright.

I think I was pulling that pink color from a prop board or the remake, but what do you guys think looks better?
Looking at the side by side pictures, the print on the right has a purple more accurate to me. More dark

Well done

One thing I noticed on the boards with the Back to the Future sticker is the truck bolts on top are not recessed into the board. Though yours is only the third I have seen, and I wouldn't say it's enough proof to declare the recessed bolt hole decks early versions.

I wonder if Madrid made the original decks for Valterra back in the 80s? Skateboard guys write about the Marty board like its junk. The only thing left on it thats factory is maybe the risers, with all other components replaced. I also wonder if the original movie board was slightly concaved, a feature on the replica.
hi very late reply , trying to build my own board. Are you saying the movie deck was different to the sold versions, if so can you modify it to movie specs ?

do you sell the sticker with patterns ?

There are several instances where you can see that the deck in the film does not even bear the same shape as the Valterra Splatter sold at department stores... The deck in the film does however resemble the exact shape of the 1983 Madrid board the team riders used; slight boat tail (tapering) of the rear, slightly narrower nose, and concave.

While I have discovered no written or spoken reference to a Madrid board being redone for the film, I can only compare the original series one Splatter I have in my possession to the one seen on screen and the pro Madrid decks of that era. I would also think it is an an unlikely coincidence that the board on screen bears the same shape as an early 80's pro Madrid deck and that it had all that Madrid flair added.
can the Madrid decks of that era be found if they would be an almost exact match ?

We can only speculate the origins of the movie deck, I would not rule out it being a factory board. I scaled many images and cross referenced with the correct Madrid sticker, the movie board graphics are identical in scale and dimension.
sorry for all the questions but any guess what factory board it may be ?

hi very late reply , trying to build my own board. Are you saying the movie deck was different to the sold versions, if so can you modify it to movie specs ?
Once a board is glued and factory finished (concave look) it's almost impossible to re-set into a concave design.

so upon further reading of this thread and looking at the original board my guess is the original board was a 1983 Madrid concave board ( the 9.5 width one ) so would a modern explosion concave board be accurate as a base to sand down and get printed on ? any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• D1D5324A-F6FE-4EC6-AE68-8757E1F942CD.png
    D1D5324A-F6FE-4EC6-AE68-8757E1F942CD.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 949406F0-0617-4B46-9242-7D96244FB899.png
    949406F0-0617-4B46-9242-7D96244FB899.png
    1 MB · Views: 65
  • A6713B55-42E9-4EB7-A4CC-36C0CAA0B4F0_1_201_a.jpeg
    A6713B55-42E9-4EB7-A4CC-36C0CAA0B4F0_1_201_a.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 67
so upon further reading of this thread and looking at the original board my guess is the original board was a 1983 Madrid concave board ( the 9.5 width one ) so would a modern explosion concave board be accurate as a base to sand down and get printed on ? any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated
Those pics show a flat board...and should be fine for your project.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back