Marty McFly's Skateboard - Valterra Splatter Deck Conversion

The wheels. Unfortunately, contrary to your assumption that Madrid still has the Fly Wheel molds, they do not. If it were that easy, we would have done it. Madrid had to make more wheels for this run of McFly boards. We would absolutely have prefered vintage style FLY wheels, but the molds just don't exist. Madrid wishes they were still around too. Your suggestion that Madrid is just pawning off 'dead stock' is also not correct. There were some wheels left over from the 2010 boards, and they probably did take them off their web store because our boards were going into production. But, the new run of wheels are exactly the same as the old run. They're the same size, shape and color as the original wheels and produced by Madrid. The only difference is the recessed logo vs. printed to appear recessed logo. It's a bummer for us too. I have two full sets of vintage FLY wheels, neither are the right color. Same boat.
I'm curious if there's any possibility of Madrid just making a fresh mold? There have been massive advancements in 3D scanning/printing technology in recent years that could potentially help them reproduce a new mold quite accurately to the original using one good example of a vintage Fly wheel for reference.

That would be absolutely incredible, especially with Tracker Trucks still manufacturing the ExTrack in their "Classic" line!
Word on the street is that Madrid is planning another run of the Valterra boards for the 40th Anniversary in 2025!

Last edited:
I'm curious if there's any possibility of Madrid just making a fresh mold? There have been massive advancements in 3D scanning/printing technology in recent years that could potentially help them reproduce a new mold quite accurately to the original using one good example of a vintage Fly wheel for reference.

That would be absolutely incredible, especially with Tracker Trucks still manufacturing the ExTrack in their "Classic" line!
Word on the street is that Madrid is planning another run of the Valterra boards for the 40th Anniversary in 2025!
Wheels can be purchased from Madrid skateboarding. It’s what I did. I ending up painting most of the board myself because the stickers I made weren’t staying on. Madrid even sent me a discount axel guard white plastic. And they threw in a vintage sticker as well

Attachments

• IMG_9085.jpeg
    IMG_9085.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
Wheels can be purchased from Madrid skateboarding. It’s what I did. I ending up painting most of the board myself because the stickers I made weren’t staying on. Madrid even sent me a discount axel guard white plastic. And they threw in a vintage sticker as well
Looking very good(y)(y)

Wheels can be purchased from Madrid skateboarding. It’s what I did.
That's great and all, but those are the the modern Reissue Madrid Fly wheels with printed lettering, I already own 3 sets of those.
I'm referring to the screen accurate Vintage style Madrid Fly wheels with the lettering molded into the urethane!

fly-wheels-jpg.jpg

As you can clearly see, this is what was used on the original prop.
image-jpg.jpg

It would be absolutely amazing for Madrid to remake a new mold for these Vintage style Fly Wheels.

Last edited:
can anyone tell me how close are the 2019 replica decks made by Madrid to the original board in bttf ?

Close enough in my book.;)

They are actually very close! The 2019 Reissues are replicated as accurately as humanly possible, they literally traced the original screen used prop to create a whole new board jig specifically for the McFly deck! They even adjusted the wheel well grooves to match the original.
We completely redid the splatter pattern so it would be as accurate as possible, including matching all the colors even better. Madrid made a new board jig using the actual screen used board. The wheel well grooves were corrected based on the screen used board. The shape and placement of the grip tape and decals was updated using the screen used board. Every single Madrid decal was completely redesigned using original vintage decals, and all the colors were matched. Plus - we found the original screen used board and then agonized over making the best, most accurate production boards possible for everyone who wanted one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back