Marty McFly's Skateboard - Valterra Splatter Deck Conversion

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by TheRealMcFly, May 9, 2012.

1. TheRealMcFly

TheRealMcFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last year I purchased the Back to the Future 25th Anniversary Valterra skateboard replica made by Madrid Skateboards and it rekindled my love of skateboarding. Before I knew it I was searching for the original parts to build my own ride. Almost one year later I had found everything I needed for what is simulateneously the most accurate and least accurate replica ever made.

From above it matches the film version.
    [​IMG]

On the bottom I used the transparent version of the explosion sticker because I felt it was a better match for what was already the incorrect paint scheme with blue splatter offset above the magenta. The circle logo above the back trucks is missing the tiny "mfg." but is otherwise a match.
    [​IMG]

The choice of Sure-Grip's Invader trucks on the modern replica is no coincidence. Using stills from the film and comparing the width of the truck hanger I found the Valterra trucks that come with the board too wide. I debated this for some time and when I finally test fit a Madrid FLY wheel the axle stuck out too far past the lock nut. Frame by frame replays of the film when the board appears revealed bright red/orange bushing sets, and a continuity polariod shows white pivot cups. While the modern Invader trucks come with all black bushings the vintage versions are a dead match. Fortunately, I was able to find a couple of complete new old stock sets with completely useable bushings.

Here are a couple of comparison shots next to the Madrid replica.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  2. superfreak1000

superfreak1000 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Marty's Skateboard - Valterra Deck Conversion

NIIIIICE!!!

3. TheRealMcFly

Here it is in progress and more details that may help with future replicas.

[​IMG]
    My skateboard arrived with all guards still in place, and the bottom of the board was in exceptional condition for its age.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    However, the top did require some extensive repairs.

[​IMG]
    Since this would become a fully functional board I clearcoated the top artwork to both blend touch ups and preserve the graphic. This extra step is recommended to anyone planning on actually riding their board.

[​IMG]
    Sure Grip Invader trucks use to come powdercoated in a variety of colors, and are still available polished in all four sizes. While I was incredibly lucky to find unused old stock none had the correct axle size. I bought a set of new 800s and matched them with vintage mounting plates. A coat of Rustoleum Professional gloss black was given plenty of cure time.

[​IMG]
    After that it was only a matter of adding back the grip tape at an angle parallel to the text before the board was ready for final assembly. If Marty had five Madrid stickers, and had already stripped his Valterra deck of trucks, I'm guessing the original board also used Madrid brand flypaper grip tape on top. In the very beginning of the film you can spot the Madrid FLY writing on the wheels, even on a dvd copy. Though, I did borrow a bluray to confirm the use of trusshead philips bolts.

I bought many vintage brands of white copers before I found what I believe are a match. The shape of the notch on the inside looks to share the same profile and still has the flat surface on the bottom.

The only vintage stickers I never found were the correctly sized b&w madrid logos for the copers. I reduced a larger vintage sticker with the same logo for a few vinyl copies. Otherwise all stickers on the deck are genuine vintage Madrid.

I am very happy with the results and while I know this is just a skateboard here in the Prop Forum I hope this information can help other fans with their own.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
    minifig likes this.
  4. dhennick99

dhennick99 Member

I love this board. I too cleaned up an original and purchased the 25th Anniversary replica. I could never find the correct copers. I just cut my loss and went with white truck axles. I still ride the actual Valterra deck around, but the screen accurate replica is a display piece. One thing to notice; the splatter sticker on the replica is off. The letters are a tad thin. I replaced it with an original.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. TheRealMcFly

That's a fantastic display you have there. I read your comments on offto55 about the board in my research. Strange there is an alternate version in that deleted scene.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has the urge to upgrade. All of the stickers on the replica are technically off because they all use the modern version of the Madrid logo. It's not neccessarily a bad thing, but I did notice many of them had the splatter sticker placed under the riser pad. I also noticed they used different types of 1/2" riser pads, some with a larger footprint than others so this may have contributed to the overlap. The replica is better quality than an original but is obviously a recent fabrication.

I wonder if Madrid made the original decks for Valterra back in the 80s? Skateboard guys write about the Marty board like its junk. The only thing left on it thats factory is maybe the risers, with all other components replaced. I also wonder if the original movie board was slightly concaved, a feature on the replica.

Perhaps we could convince Madrid Skateboards to sell new splatter decks. I noticed they have reissued a number of their 80s styles. There's bound to be more interest later in the year when the hoverboard is released.

6. dhennick99

dhennick99 Member

From what I gather Valterra was a low end bargain brand skateboard. Similiar to Nash. Sold in Toys R' us. The madrid pros, who did the skateboard stunts, most likely modified the board and added their sponsor's company stickers. They probably had to keep the splatter deck because, regardless of it's quality in the skateboard community, it looked cool on camera. I doubt we'll see any future release aside from what they already manufactured for the 25th anniversary. I have a rep's email from madrid skateboards. I could shoot him a message and see what they say.

7. MrNixon

MrNixon New Member

Really nice boards, that graphic in the second picture messes with my head ha! Those Mondo poster(s) in your display are great too. Is that an uncut sheet or 3 put together really close?

8. TheRealMcFly

Please do. I'd love to know if they'd do just the deck. I'd be happy to add the grip and make another contribution to the Fox Foundation. And finally a use for my set of accurate vintage stickers, an all magenta splatter board.

I have never seen a factory splatter board with just magenta on the bottom. Perhaps they were modified for the film or merely a couple of production errors.

9. dhennick99

dhennick99 Member

Nor have I. I have come across mention from other fans that they are out there. I know after the film's success the board was re released and branded as "as seen in Back to the Future" so if the magenta scheme did exist, It would be an early production run.

10. Benocat

Benocat New Member

Great Scott!.

Just kidden anyway, I am new here and found my old school Valterra. I actualy have two of them (but could only find one now) when the first came out but could only find one of them so far digging though the parents storage. The front of this is a bit chipped and the rest has issues but just scrapes and such. But it survived, even though the front is a bit bruised. :eek

[​IMG]

I hope these photos helps out to the Valterra that I bought at Toys R us back in the day and right around the movie time.

PS sory the edits, I was unsure of the photo size.

Glad to be here and also have a bunch of other 80's gadgets and toys that I collect.

Mr Beno

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  11. TheRealMcFly

Did you notice if the bottom of the production board they had at Madrid looked retouched, or concave? I realize it was most likely an earlier Stoltz configuration with round sticker on top and factory grip. Invader trucks?

Thanks for posting your board Benocat. Don't sweat it I had plenty of edits on my images too.

One thing I noticed on the boards with the Back to the Future sticker is the truck bolts on top are not recessed into the board. Though yours is only the third I have seen, and I wouldn't say it's enough proof to declare the recessed bolt hole decks early versions.

12. blackpittv

blackpittv New Member

On a related topic I found someone selling a miniature "Tech Deck" version of the Valtera skateboard from Madrid.

Miniature 1985 Valterra Back to The Future Skateboard | eBay

I thought I might try for it because it would go good with my miniature version of the hoverboard I got for ordering the Mattel hoverboard replica. :lol:)

13. TheRealMcFly

Cool miniature but the deck shape is all wrong. Turns out so is my own, but its close. The Madrid replica is much more faithful at the rear with a narrower kick tail.

The deck of my own replica is much too wide at the bottom. I have also noticed its significantly thinner ply than most of the valterra decks that appear on ebay from time to time. While it offers a sturdy ride I do catch the rear wheels on the deck due to the wheelbase of the Sure-Grip Invader 800s.

I had planned to make my board less accurate with some vintage fly wheels in yellow. These are the later plastic core versions by kryptonics. Unfortunately this version has less offset than the correct Fly wheels and would decrease the wheelbase even further. My plan is to use new wider 153mm sure grip axles will replace the 800s along with some all black bearings. Even with a wider axle the end result is only about a 3/4" increase because of the different wheels.

I have another splatter deck in need of some TLC. My plan is to trim the deck down to size at the rear and come spring I'm converting the bottom to all magenta. With a complete vintage set of stickers ready to go, all of hunting has been done.

14. Spectacular Spider-Man

Spectacular Spider-Man Member

keepin it old school...

15. Travman93

Travman93 Member

I'd probably stay away. You're paying way too much for that. As someone who makes wooden decks, collects, and uses fingerboards, you're buying a very cheap knockoff of a Tech Deck.

16. TheRealMcFly

Working on another, stay tuned.
    image_zpscda45592.jpg

Stephen Dobson and jhk1976 like this.
  17. EmmaInCandyland

EmmaInCandyland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

18. TheRealMcFly

So sorry to not have been in touch Emma! I am working on an email for you tonight.

For now, they are the Invader 800s from Sure-Grip. I got mine here but Madrid has them in stock for a few dollars more, in black.
    Invader Skateboard Trucks 123mm

19. EmmaInCandyland

It's okay :)! No worries!

These???

Invader Trucks | Madrid Skateboards

20. TheRealMcFly

Yes, exactly.

I get great results with Rustoleum Professional out of the rattle can. If you can give the part plenty of cure time it really is super tough. See who's got better shipping rates on your side of the water.

21. EmmaInCandyland

I'd rather buy the black one though, I don't have much space in my flat to spray anything, especially stuff like metal where you need to let it cure outside most of the tile (due to the chemicals ><)

so is 7" better or 8"? XD

22. TheRealMcFly

But that's the fun of it! Fumes.

Madrid probably has them powdercoated, a professional job for sure. The 800s are the 8" and that's what you want to match up just right with those Madrid FLY wheels you got.

23. EmmaInCandyland

Thank you again by the way!! (Y) Okay then :p I really want them, I wish they would sell them to the UK :x

24. TheRealMcFly

What I am wondering now is which set of mounting plates to use. Sure-Grip confirmed the "Invader S/G" plates came later, but could not be specific.
    [​IMG]

25. EmmaInCandyland

Mounting plates are pretty much the same, even nowadays. Not sure if it really matters the brand :p But they probably used the ones for on the original valterras.

26. TheRealMcFly

Well technically they are both the same brand from the same company, just a different version of the same exact product.

Factory Valterra trucks do not appear on the movie board. They never made an axle size that matches.

27. TheRealMcFly

Here's another mystery. The deleted scene skateboard has the stickers where you would not expect.
    [​IMG]

I had read that the board changed when they transitioned from Stoltz to Fox. But then why do Stoltz and Schmelzer hold boards that match all the scenes in the final film?
    [​IMG]

Reached out to Bob Schmelzer on the right but have not yet had a reply.

28. EmmaInCandyland

Awesome! I hope you'll get a reply :D

29. Adomeitw

Adomeitw Active Member

I know it's an old post but I am new to the RPF and thought I would share. About 8 years ago I purchased a "Series 1" Valterra Splatter deck. The bottom of the deck is in very good used condition but the middle/top is pretty warn. It still has the original grip tape also in very good used condition. However, all the hardware is pieced together. Over the years I was able to acquire original Madrid stickers… with exception of the ones for the copers. To this date it is the ONLY "Series 1" (No shadowing effect on bottom splatter - magenta only) deck I have come across. I will post pics this weekend.

I have no knowledge of skateboards (how to assemble or ride :p) and had not done anywhere near the research you have to get accurate components. The trucks/copers/wheels I have look the part but are def not film accurate. I did eventually figure out how to assemble everything and applied the OEM Madrid stickers. The rails, nose protector and tail pad were all missing when I got it. It had a little more wear and tear around the edges of the board than what I liked. The only touch up I did was add a little black to the edges to slightly reduce the weathered look. I didn't attempt to fix the top graphics as I was scared I would make it worse.

As it sits now, even with the inaccurate components, it looks like it rolled off the set of the film. Maybe one day soon I will seek out the components you mentioned in this post and truly have a gem.

Stay tuned for pics

EmmaInCandyland likes this.
  30. TheHVPS

TheHVPS New Member

Any idea where the OP got the stickers from that goes on the bottom of the board? Just purchased an original 1985 deck and wanted to convert it. Many thanks

31. Adomeitw

Adomeitw Active Member

I purchased all vintage madrid stickers on ebay. It took a while to acquire all of them but they do turn up from time to time. The only one that has escaped me are the B&W copper stickers. A member here had created a replica of those and was gracious enough to offer me a set.

There is a correct Madrid banner on the bay right now for the top of the deck. Just search Madrid skateboard sticker.

32. jhk1976

jhk1976 Well-Known Member

I attempted to pick up a vintage Madrid Valterra board on eBay today, but after the bidding went to $355, I'm contemplating making a board instead.

Madrid sells a "vintage" style board that appears to be the same shape as the Valterra. I thought perhaps it could be sanded down, painted black, and then have the splatter graphics applied via adhesive vinyl? Does anybody out there have the graphics saved in a manner that would be conducive to reproducing in this manner?

Below is the board I thought I would use for the base. Thoughts?

Capture.JPG

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  33. EmmaInCandyland

I don't think there's any graphics of it out there. But I can take a picture of mine if you want, that could do it eventually. I'll try I take a picture tomorrow if the sun shows up XD
    I also have a scan of the stickers if you want :)

jhk1976 likes this.
  34. jhk1976

Turns out one of the other forum members DID have his own board graphics printed up. There's a post about it in the "Let's see your Marty McFly costumes" section. It doesn't look like it's possible to PM him, but I quoted his message. Hopefully he'll respond. The posts were from several years ago.

I did some research and I now have a shopping list of parts I would need to build a "budget" replica of the board. My stepdad, who's good with woodworking, could probably help me get the board sanded down, painted and drilled. It wouldn't be vintage or as accurate as the boards mentioned earlier in this thread, but it'd be a decent and functional facsimile for cosplay purposes :cool

Thanks for the offer, Emma. If I don't hear back from the other fellow, I'll take you up on the offer to photograph it and send over the sticker graphics :)

35. TheRealMcFly

You could always just splatter up your own blank deck and handpaint the VALTERRA in the middle. It might be easier than trying to replicate the splatter pattern exactly.

36. pandatrooper

pandatrooper Well-Known Member

That would be awesome Emma! I have wanted to take a generic deck and paint the graphics myself as well.

EmmaInCandyland and jhk1976 like this.
  37. jhk1976

User CureMode reached out to me and is going to send me the graphics he used for his replica. I did consider finding a stock graphic of paint splatters to use, and then just redraw the Valterra logo, but I guess that won't be necessary now :) He used custom-printed adhesive vinyl for his, and the results look pretty good. The photos below are from one of his posts:

bttf24.jpg bttf25.jpg

I thought he did a good job. Plus, it would save me the added trouble of finding the stickers :D

38. EmmaInCandyland

It is okay but the colour is meant to be some sort of fuschia pink. And the splatters are not too accurate. Neither are the trucks. But it's just me being picky haha :p

39. jhk1976

I'll be able to adjust the purple in Photoshop. No, it won't be dead on, but it'll be perfectly fine for cosplay purposes. We can't all be as accurate as you, dear Emma -- not without emptying our bank accounts at least ;)

40. EmmaInCandyland

Well I had my Valterra for $50 :thumbsup xD

41. jhk1976

I don't have your kind of luck :unsure

Capture.JPG

42. EmmaInCandyland

Yeah, people have gone a bit crazy over BTTF items for the past year :x

43. jhk1976

No joke. Besides, if I'm gonna shell out a ridiculous amount of money for something vintage, it'll be for the Aiwa :D

44. EmmaInCandyland

Yeah! I kinda understand that, I bought mine 2 years ago and had it for $250, broken belt though... I hope you'll find one anytime soon! It's a great item to have!!

jhk1976 likes this.
  45. jhk1976

One down...

$_57.JPG

46. EmmaInCandyland

47. kt2002

kt2002 New Member

where can i buy the vintage mounting plates

48. kt2002

kt2002 New Member

if i cannot find the original plates where can i buy the bushings and pivot cups

49. jhk1976

I'm going to create a vector file of the spatters for my board project. Because I am a *. Ideally, I'd like to find someone who could screen print it onto the board I have, eventually. I picked up a Madrid "Explosion" deck, which my stepdad is going to help me sand down and paint black. From there, it'll be a matter of getting the pattern on there and then adding the hardware. There's a screen printing place near me that prints on a lot of different substrates, maybe they're up for a one-off project such as this.

Finished board photo courtesy of EmmaInCandyland. It'll make for a good template to work from. :)

Capture.JPG

50. pandatrooper

pandatrooper Well-Known Member

You could also use the vector to cut sign vinyl and use that as a spray paint mask.