Maltese Falcon Ronson Touch Tip Lighter

The stuff that dreams are made of.....

Falcon Touch Tip Lighter Left 01.jpg

There's now one of these white clock faced Touch Tips at the ronsonrepair.com site. There's a black ring version too that's been there for awhile now, but of course is not screen accurate as the movie had a white ring around the clock face). See (no longer there).

Here's a few linked photos in case someone wants to consider buying the white-ring accurate model (as even in more worn condition, they are exceedingly hard to find, although frankly I've seen ones in this physical condition sell for $250-350 on eBay (although the clock and/or lighter may not work where here they do and have been serviced and have a brand new reproduction wand (the one piece of chrome on it that looks new).

Considering he's asking $79 more than I paid on an eBay auction, I think I got a pretty fair deal given the near mint condition mine is in by comparison (although it was still damn expensive for a lighter that was somewhere around $10 originally in 1936 or about $180 today with inflation taken into account). Oddly, the top and back almost look like a brown tortoise style paint job rather than black, but I guess it could have faded into that color?

EDIT: I looked again and it does say it's tortoise colored so it's not faded; it's supposed to be that color (until now I wasn't even aware there were more than two variations; I only ever saw black with a black ring and black with a white(ish) ring). I guess the white ring is actually ivory colored. In regular room lighting, mine might look ever so slightly off-white, but nowhere near as yellow/tan as this one so I don't know if ivory was a separate color option from white or mine simply hasn't yellowed as much over the years and since the Maltese Falcon was in black and white, ivory would appear to be white in the movie regardless if it was slightly yellow toned or not. James' picture shows the clock face as near white. Mine has definitely yellowed there if that was pure white to begin with, but otherwise seems to be in pretty good visual condition. I wouldn't have paid as much as I did if it had been in lesser condition (again, I've seen ones look closer to this visually go for under $400 on there, albeit they don't appear but a few times a year period as far as I can tell, especially in black with a white ring.).

Tortoise-Falcon-Front-1.jpg

Tortoise-Falcon-Top-1.jpg

tORTOISE-fALCON-bACK.jpg

Tortoise-falcon-right.jpg

Last edited:
JamesM242 - Is your clock face pure white as it appears in that photo you provided on the first page or did it come out a bit starker than it actually is? From what I read, it's oxidation (exposure to oxygen in the air and rendered worse by sunlight/ultraviolet light) that turns paper type faces yellow so if yours is still very white, perhaps yours was stored in a darker place all those years?

To Whom It May Concern still looking to buy one of these Maltese Falcon Touch Tip Lighters:

I just spotted this lighter this evening on eBay and thought someone might like to know about it given how hard they are to locate and since this one appears to be in much better exterior visual condition (although it appears to need a wand; you can buy them brand new on eBay, though for $35-40 or so) than either one on RonsonRepair.com and will probably go for far less than their asking price (starting bid is $399 with 0 bids as of this writing and the auction ends next Friday on November 8th, 2019. It's a correct colored Maltese Falcon Touch Tip with watch/clock (black with white ring). It says the clock works, but it sounds like it needs oiled or something as it says something about it runs longer on its back than upright. I doubt many here are interested in keeping time with it, though. It probably looks a bit worse under harsh flash conditions than it would on display, I'd imagine.

Linked Photo from front to give you an idea:

s-l1600.jpg

JamesM242 - Is your clock face pure white as it appears in that photo you provided on the first page or did it come out a bit starker than it actually is? From what I read, it's oxidation (exposure to oxygen in the air and rendered worse by sunlight/ultraviolet light) that turns paper type faces yellow so if yours is still very white, perhaps yours was stored in a darker place all those years?

Interesting, I had never paid that much attention to it, but yes, the clock face is very well preserved on mine - close to pure white.

Interesting, I had never paid that much attention to it, but yes, the clock face is very well preserved on mine - close to pure white.

I tried winding it and setting the time last night again and wound it more this time. It ran about 15 hours and stopped again. I'm getting the sense it might need oiled or something (beyond my ability as I wouldn't want to ruin it) as it takes more than a little winding before it starts ticking. When it is running, it keeps accurate time (within that time frame, at least). I'd have to send it to Ronson Repair or take it a watch place to get the clock serviced. Given I'm not going to use the clock in practice, I don't know if that's worth the risk of shipping it out and back again, but I wouldn't want it to get to the point where it might freeze in a more permanent fashion if I don't either, assuming I'm going to keep it for a fair length of time (e.g. 15+ years). What do you think?

After winding, mine starts ticking as soon as I push the mechanism back into the main body - I have not "fully" wound it to see how long it runs, but my understanding is that it has to be set daily, so your running time of ~15 hours seems about right. If it were me, I would leave it as is, but that is just me and I wouldn't want to run the risk of shipping or a repair place fixing the clock and messing up something else.

After winding, mine starts ticking as soon as I push the mechanism back into the main body - I have not "fully" wound it to see how long it runs, but my understanding is that it has to be set daily, so your running time of ~15 hours seems about right. If it were me, I would leave it as is, but that is just me and I wouldn't want to run the risk of shipping or a repair place fixing the clock and messing up something else.

Yeah, the risk is high when it won't be used anyway. I still think I'm nuts to spend that much money on a lighter.... (everyone keeps telling me that around here anyway; the "It's an investment" line doesn't work so well. It's much smaller looking than I even imagined next to the bird. That really is a pocket watch mounted in it. :D

But yes, it starts ticking when the wind/set dial is pushed back in (after enough winds; it doesn't start with just a couple of turns, which adds to the suspicion it could use oiled). It needs a new flint too, but I don't know if I should bother since it's not good to leave flints in a display model (they just eventually get stuck again when not used for years on end). I could try a regular flint to test it, I suppose (supposedly "Firebrand" flints are best for Touch Tips, but I don't know how true that is either. That's just the advice on the RonsonRepair site).

I'm still keeping an eye out for the Gutman lighter (Ronson New Yorker Baronet), but I haven't seen a single one since that one last summer that was missing the all-important "skyscraper" cover (plus the chrome was in bad shape). I did see the other Ronson skyscraper version (different design) appear recently, but they wanted over $200 and it wasn't in mint shape either and didn't match the movie.

Ronson New Yorker s01.jpg

As you can see, it's just an "insert" too, though for the same basic lighter in both. It's the cover that's important and that's what was missing from that Gutman set that was for sale before.

Ronson New Yorker s02.jpg

The cover in the Gutman lighter comes off and has the same lighter underneath as the above "similar" design they put out:

NY-260-baronette-cigbox.jpg

I noticed there's not one, but TWO more Falcon style Touch Tips on eBay right now in case anyone is interested (boy, nothing for months and all the sudden three more show up).

One is a black/white model (at $160.50 bid as of this writing with 2 days to go) that has a working watch, but a lot of flaking paint on the back (chrome isn't too bad) and the lighting mechanism supposedly sticks.

The other is a tortoise brown with white/ivory clock ring (would probably look more or less the same in black and white pictures) and it's in pretty good condition, at least for the chrome from what I can see in the photos (although a little dark in the lighting, probably to make it look darker towards black than brown, but who knows with people and taking photos; all my tortoise case lighters are pretty dark). However, it has no comments about whether the mechanism for the lighter or clock works or not and I think the description is slightly misleading as I doubt the one on Sam's desk in the movie was a tortoise color model, but with black and white lighting, it's hard to be 100% certain, although I believe I ran into its owner on another site before (didn't ask if it was black or tortoise as I assumed it was black at the time and didn't know they made a tortoise one). In any case, that lighter is a rare "buy now" one for $699 with free shipping. I paid $736 + shipping and tax in auction on mine ($816 total) for reference, although it was black/white and I think possibly in better condition still. (LINK: Vintage Ronson touch tip lighter with watch as seen in the Maltese Falcon movie | eBay) Only 9 watching this one (too high a price for their blood?)

Don't miss your opportunity to own the one (but not the only) Touch Tip lighter with clock/watch featured in the Maltese Falcon! It spins, it sparks, it's a piece of rare deco art! OK. I'm bored playing the helpful huckster. NEXT....

BTW, that one I linked to above ended up getting relisted (private offer? It showed 0 bids to that point so I'm assuming) and sold for a mere $369. Boy, that's like less than half what I paid for mine. A little chrome damage and a few flakes of paint missing and I could have had a V8 for breakfast! Someone got a deal.... I find it hard to believe even in that condition it wouldn't have gone over $400. Either that or I just paid too much.... ack

Last edited:
IMG_20191123_103747_01.jpg

Found this in person at a local estate sale today.
They did their research and knew these are hard to find so I had to pay $175 for it. Wouldn't have bought one in this condition online, but the Universe delivered this to me in person, so I couldn't pass it up.

Edit:
IMG_20191123_155402.jpg

Cleaned up OK, added a temporary fake wand. Probably going to repaint at some point. The clock works.

Last edited:
Wow. That thing looks like it was left out in the rain. It looks much better cleaned up a bit. ;)

There are lots of brand new replacement wands on eBay for around $40.

I was just watching "The Black Bird" (1975). It's a sequel of sorts to the Maltese Falcon. It's more of a comedy with George Segal, although it does feature Elisha Cook Jr. reprising his role. But I did notice that it features the "full feather" version of the statue. I found that kind of odd since it's supposed to be the same "fake" as the original movie, but I suppose those that have the full feather statue can at least point to a movie with screen time for it.

Here is my lighter after another round of touch ups. Used black rub n buff on the missing paint, and silver rub n buff on the damaged chrome. I disolved the paint around the ring with acetone and distributed it as best as I could. It's not perfect but it looks fine on the shelf. It's now completely functional, including the clock.
IMG_20191231_154136.jpg

I didn't want to light up my Maltese Falcon or WWII "Wedding Gift" lighters seeing as they're rare/one-of-a-kind, but I bought this 1940s/50s Dark Tortoise Octet that was in great shape externally but had the flint tube break off the solder joint and some other minor bits and got it all fixed up (Ronson Repair worked it over for me and tuned it up) and it's almost like brand new again. I had a hankering to light one up after watching The Maltese Falcon the other day (well I watched the 1931 one and then the 1941 one and with commentary turned on as well). I still like the 1931 version quite a bit. I wish someone would make a statue recreation of that version of The Bird.

Nothing like firing up a 75 year old lighter (save maybe an 85+ year old one). I might need to take up smoking now.... ;)

Ronson Octet 40s Tortoise Shell s.jpg

Ronson Octet 40s Tortoise Shell Lit s.jpg

So, the Calendar. Doesn't feature particularly prominently, always blurry, but it peaked my interest. Not enough resolution on the DVD to do anything but make me think "Grand Canyon".
then I found this picture today:
View attachment 1041944

best image I'd seen of the Calendar
blown up:
View attachment 1041946

Still says Grand Canyon to me

Also that clearly says TWA, and the layout of the dates can only be November 1940

So I looked up Grand Canyon on the New York Public Library website and found this image:
View attachment 1041945

This is Bissell's Point near the Hotel El Tovar. I'd suspected Bissel's point, from other images before I found this, but the shadows match here, acting as confirmation.

here it is on Google maps:
View attachment 1041948

With November 1940 and TWA I was able to track down a picture of this calendar:

View attachment 1041947

clearly the correct date panel.

That's what I have so far. I haven't been able to locate a copy of the actual picture, or a matching TWA calendar. It's possible they put another picture over an airplane photo, as it's not the only landcape picture in the office. But I do have enough info to replicate it if I really wanted to.

sorry to resurrect an old slightly off-topic post, but I'm doing a full CG mock up of Spade's office and I'm working on the calendar right now. I think the month was actually March, the days start on Friday in the screencap. Here's a quick and dirty mock up I'm putting in.

Capture.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back