Mal's Firefly pistol

Chrisisall

Sr Member
I bought this ten years ago online, and I honestly can't remember if it was from Wilco or not (I only remember that it was under $50). It came with an odd flare where the grips meet the metal on one side, and a depression on the other. I got rid of the flare, and then put it aside, until yesterday.
The original piece this was molded from is apparently quite nice, but the barrel was uneven, as if the mold was a bit wobbly or thin in places. Needless to say I had to vacuum up all the dust & debris from sanding for a few hours. I tinkered with the hammer assembly a bit, filled in the depression (that you can see in the first picture), with epoxy putty, drilled out the barrel hole, then more sanding and general clean up & seam obliteration. Fairly painless....
Next I prime & paint.
IMG_20210517_153324.jpg
IMG_20210517_215713.jpg
IMG_20210518_081621.jpg
IMG_20210518_082514.jpg

That’s definitely a Wilco. I agree, love to see Firefly props. Looks like you reshaped the trigger guard a bit. Nice job!
You've a sharp eye, sir! I also reworked a bit of the hammer area, and added detail to front of the two (I don't know what you call them- screw spacers or something?) just below the barrel, and lowered the screws on the sight. I'm no expert on this piece though, just going by pictures.

I'm gonna have to go much deeper dark than this... this is where I have to start mixing paint my own self. A spray bronze won't be dark enough.

I just finished doing a custom colour that I think looks right- a light coat, then a darker one.This picture is in low light, so my phone lightened it up a bit; it's actually darker than it appears here. I'm not getting too excited though- I could still find a way to screw this up before I'm finished.

img_20210520_170328-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
A quick misting with flat burnished amber to tone down the red in the copper, and now (after it dries) it's ready for the gold/brass highlights. I know this is taking a while, but I'm trying to get the look just right....
IMG_20210521_173838.jpg

Haven't forgotten this project, just got 2 rescue cats in the house, and it's totally disrupting my work ability. Hissy fits with our remaining old cat & such... Today I sprayed gun metal on the the bits I mistakenly painted brownish brass. Tomorrow (Cats willing) I will do the golden brass & the cherry wood handle. Damn, this thing looks different in every different light.
img_20210525_184304-jpg.jpg

img_20210525_185449-jpg.jpg

I've done some research on this weapon, and that looks pretty good! I think you got the old brass, versus new brass combination right So many times I see versions that are just way too.. Well, brassy. Nice job!

I've done some research on this weapon, and that looks pretty good! I think you got the old brass, versus new brass combination right So many times I see versions that are just way too.. Well, brassy. Nice job!
Thanks! I looked at tons of pictures online, and my last bit was just lookin' at the show & freezing images of the gun from the pilot ep. I more or less painted my impression of what it looked like, rather than attempting to 100% reproduce every minute bit to 'perfection'. I'm happy with it. Tiny tweaks will come, but not much.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back