Fallout 4 shotgun pistol (original design)

Palantirion

Back in 2020 I made my first ever scratch-built thing. This was, perhaps surprisingly, inspired by Adam Savage's Tested video about building a model of a observation craft from a Moebius drawing. This video in fact:

It hadn't occurred to me how quick and easy styrene is to cut and glue and I wanted to do something quick and easy too! So I made it complex and hard instead...and I nibbled at it over 6 months.

An original design 12 gauge pistol for the Fallout universe. (sorry for the lousy picture quality, old phone, better will come soon).
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (68) done.jpg

PART 1, the cylinder.
I started with the cylinder, using 3/4" PVC pipe. Filled the gaps with strips of styrene, then spru goo (I didn't know about epoxy putties back then!) and a ton of hand sanding.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (1) cylinder.jpg

20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (2) cylinder.jpg

20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (3) cylinder.jpg

Test fitting. Pics of making the other parts will come shortly...
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (4) cylinder.jpg

Used a Dremel sanding barrel to cut in the indexing notches.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (5) cylinder.jpg

Test fitting dummy shell. Also note the recessed magnets which will be used for indexing. The index wheel is styrene, and non functional.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (6) cylinder.jpg

PART 2, the frame.

I cut the frame by hand with a saw out of some scrap pine 1x8. This is it with the grip buck, but ignore that for now.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (7) frame.jpg

Test fitting the cylinder. I used a cut-down fiberglass tent pole as the cylinder shaft, because the metal ends of the pole could be used as bearings.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (8) frame.jpg

Said pole. It's held in by a magnet on the trigger end.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (9) frame.jpg

I used JB Weld to attach the barrel (more Home Depot plumbing section materials), and CA to laminate the styrene surface panels.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (10) frame.jpg

Another test fit, with barrel. Gotta love 1-2-3 blocks!
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (11) frame.jpg

Because I wanted the design to be functionally in keeping with Fallout's ability to customize weapons the grip, barrel attachment and sights would all be attached mechanically. For the grip, this would be two nails for alignment pins and then screws to these inserts laterally.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (12) frame.jpg

More test fitting with grip and muzzle brake pipe.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (13) frame.jpg

Lamination has begun!
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (14) frame.jpg

I used a hand chisel to carve the top and bottom frame channels. Then laminated them with styrene.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (15) frame.jpg

From the front.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (16) frame.jpg

The hammer area.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (17) frame.jpg

Starting to build up the cylinder cover and the magnet that will provide indexing (buried in JB Weld).
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (18) frame.jpg

Spru goo. Lots and lots of spru goo.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (19) frame.jpg

20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (20) frame.jpg

Scribing lines for the cover over the non-existent internals.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (21) frame.jpg

And scribing Vault-Tec branding...
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (22) frame.jpg

...and the serial number.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (23) frame.jpg

PART 3, the muzzle brake.

The muzzle brake started with a couple pieces of PVC pipe that match the threads on the ABS barrel. I wanted the brake to also have a glass breaker tip - for melee against radscorpions.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (24) muzzle brake.jpg

It was tough laying out the cut lines.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (25) muzzle brake.jpg

Not as hard to cut them. I used a pull saw, being very careful with the angles.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (26) muzzle brake.jpg

Refined the edges with hand files.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (27) muzzle brake.jpg

20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (28) muzzle brake.jpg

Pilot holes for the brake ports.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (29) muzzle brake.jpg

Drilled.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (30) muzzle brake.jpg

Test fitted.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (31) muzzle brake.jpg

PART 4, the silencer.

ABS pipe, some PVC bits. Here is the rough assembly next to the rough muzzle brake.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (32) silencer.jpg

I used a soldering iron to make the weld lines. I also added non-functional screws to the front face, but don't have in-progress pictures for some reason.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (33) silencer.jpg

Scribing the serial number. I scribed the Vault-Tec logo on the reverse side, but didn't take a progress pic.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (34) silencer.jpg

Painted.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (35) silencer.jpg

PART 5, details.

I made all the little stuff from styrene. Here is the hammer, with magnets in the end that will allow it to stay in ****** or uncocked positions via buried magnets in the frame. I filed knurling onto the hammer end later.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (37) details.jpg

The hammer and trigger next to the frame.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (38) details.jpg

Using a nail as the hammer pin.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (39) details.jpg

One end of the safety slide. It moves through the frame to safe and fire positions via friction fit.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (40) details.jpg

The safety test fit. And the trigger (which is laminated styrene sheets), also using a nail as a pin/pivot. I mounted a spring from a Bic pen so the trigger can be pulled. Not great action, but better than completely static. The gap in the frame below the trigger was so I could install it, that gets covered with styrene sheet later on.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (41) details.jpg

Hammer and safety. You can see one of the frame magnets the hammer will use.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (42) details.jpg

This revolver will be gate loading. Because reasons. Making the gate.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (43) details.jpg

20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (44) details.jpg

The gate fit into the keeper by sliding onto a magnet that also acts as a pivot. I'd do it differently knowing what I know now, but back then I hadn't built anything from scratch before.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (45) details.jpg

Testing open position.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (46) details.jpg

I made iron sights from styrene. I planned to make other optics too, but haven't yet. They would all attach with the same screws you can see here. Those screws were also used ornamentally on the silencer and frame cover.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (47) details.jpg

The frame, scribed, showing the holes for the safety and two grip screws.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (48) details.jpg

PART 6, the grip.

I shaped the wood buck with hand files. Then I laminated Kydex sheets onto it, forming them with a heat gun and my hands. That hurt, but the results were really good.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (49) grip.jpg

20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (50) grip.jpg

20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (51) grip.jpg

20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (52) grip.jpg

Using JB Weld to fill gaps. Again, I wish I had known about Apoxie Sculpt back then. But I did learn that you can shape JB Weld after about 2 hours, and after 3-4 you can cut it with a knife. So shaving it then can reduce sanding time later.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (53) grip.jpg

Sanding.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (54) grip.jpg

Test fit.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (55) grip.jpg

Spru goo for finer gap filling.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (56) grip.jpg

Always more sanding. I took great care not to sand into the textured area of the Kydex. The finger areas and butt could be smooth, but I really wanted the texture present on the sides as contrast to the metal of the gun.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (57) grip.jpg

Primed.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (58) grip.jpg

20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (59) grip.jpg

And lastly I scribed Vault-Tec logos on both sides. I don't know why the grip texture isn't visible in this pic. Old phone I guess.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (60) grip.jpg

PART 7, finishing it up.

All the various components, primed.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (61) primed.jpg

20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (62) primed.jpg

20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (63) primed.jpg

I also had to make ammo. I used dummy rounds and because I wanted to make a carbine stock later that would have a side saddle I made two different types of ammo. I used hot glue (because noob and didn't know about Apoxie Sculpt) to fill the tops of the dummy rounds and carved the splits for the buckshot rounds and the hollows for the hollow points.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (64) ammo.jpg

Then they were painted and weathered. A couple real rounds as reference. The dummies pass the 10-foot test, but I'd certainly make them differently today.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (65) ammo.jpg

And the gun, finished at that time. I painted it black overall and gave the metal areas a light rubbing with graphite powder. Then a little edge and scratch work with silver Rubb-N-Buff. The safety is painted so you can see red on one side when it's in fire position.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (66) done.jpg

The finished gun. I'll get some better pics soon.
20,09 Fallout Shotgun Pistol (67) done.jpg

You are not alone here in being frequently inspired by the great Adam Savage. You have a really great write up, your design is very well executed, I mean the end result speaks for itself! I don't think using one material over another makes you a noob or is a mistake etc, there are many ways to reach the same end result and sure, different materials can make your life easier, but look at the final product! Now you have great experience for your future builds and a better handle on using those materials. Great game replica, can't wait to see more!

Thanks guys for your kind words.

Regarding my self-criticism, I'm quite happy with the results of my first real project. It's just that a few years later I know more about materials and could have made certain parts of the process SO much easier and/or precise than they were. Like using hot glue to fill the shell casings - an air dry foam clay would have been much more appropriate for filling the gap and allowing for basic sculpting. Learning is part of the journey, and most of the fun.

Fantastic looking wrist breaker you built there! I'm really impressed by how well the cylinder turned out. And, that you were able to build in some functionality.

Fantastic looking wrist breaker you built there! I'm really impressed by how well the cylinder turned out. And, that you were able to build in some functionality.
-Thank you. And thank you for the reminder that I really need to build the stock!

Coincidentally, a friend just pointed me to a video testing a 4 gauge shotgun with a pistol grip - some stupid Russian idea. Talk about a wrist breaker!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back