Rotj DDC-Defender

Ryan Clinton

Sr Member
This is a modified blaster factory ANH DDC-DEFENDER kit. When I ordered this the Rotj version was only offered as a full commission and I wanted to finish and paint it myself so I ordered the Anh version and modified it. The flash hider on the blaster factory version also doesn't have the imperfections on it that the screen used DDC-DEFENDER has so I reached out to eethan and asked him to do a custom Rotj flash hider for this build. He did a beautiful job and matched every detail. I had to do a bit of modifications to this kit due to machining issues as well. The barrel mounting hole was drilled about 1.5 to 2mm too far to the right. So I drilled the hole out to the left just enough, cut a thin layer of metal and put it in the right side of the hole to force the barrel over to the left. I then drilled the hole for the barrel pin out slightly bigger and tapped it for a 6-32 headless screw. I put a thin layer of j&b weld on the barrel before mounting it. After tightening the screw on the barrel it was locked in solid. I actually did this after sanding and smoothing out the all machining marks. I also cut off the barrel threads, drilled it out, threaded it for 1/4-20 and put in a threaded rod to mount the new flash hider. The eight bumpons my wife cast from a vintage exactra 31 calculator. I had to heat up the grips also and shape them so they would lay flat against the reciever. The slide lock on the Rotj DDC-Defender is different than the ANH version so I cut out a new one with the fins on it from some scrap aluminum I had. I shaped it by hand with some needle files and painted it. I did a similar paint job on this one as I did on the ANH DDC-DEFENDER I recently built. I did however make this one a little darker. A thin coat of black primer, a light dusting of dark aluminum, some steel wool then a Tamiya clear clear coat. Then some more steel wool to dull down specific areas. Then buffed it with a cloth to shine it up a little bit. I added a subtle bit of dust and grit where it might collect over the years. I also wore down some of the corners and edges on certain parts of the blaster that I thought would most likely be down to bare metal. The Vernon hawker tomtit greeblie I cut and put together before installation. This is by far my favorite blaster in all of Star Wars. I'm really pleased with how it came out and I hope to make another one. I'd like to see if there's a more effective way of making aluminum look more like blued metal. Thank you again eethan for your help and precis work on the custom flash hider.
Last edited:
Hot damn!!! Great work both of you. That looks like the prop!

Sucks to see another BF kit that was messed up, but you patched it intuitively

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.