Making a Mold of Nara Modeling Clay

Max Rebo

Hi everyone,

I hadn't seen this mentioned before, but if it has, I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.

I have made a sculpture with Nara modeling clay, and I am thinking of making a flexible mold of it. This clay tends to come in multi-color bars and is intended for children. A sculpting teacher suggested this sort of clay for a cheap way to start. I realize, now, that I am not sure whether this clay contains sulfur or not. (I have looked around online, and even contacted the manufacturer, but still cannot find an answer.) Has anyone made a flexible mold of a sculpture with this clay? If so, have you had success, and with what sort of molding material? I was thinking about using a platinum silicone like Dragon Skin 10 NV, but I am open to other possible suggestions. I guess the best way to handle this would be to make a small mold as a test, but I don't have any casting silicone on hand, and it is a bit spendy to purchase just to test it out. If it fails, I don't really want to have lots of cash invested in silicone I cannot use.

Note: Although I have lurked on and off for years, this is my first post to the rpf. Please let me know if I posted this in the wrong place, or made some other posting mistake.

I don't even know if sulfur clays are still around anymore, but if it's a modelling clay for kids, I think you're okay to mold it. You really don't want kids eating sulfur.

If you're not sure you can spray it COMPLETELY with clear coat. If you cover it all with clear coat it will prevent the sulfur from touching the silicone (mold material).

I'd caution against using Dragon Skin 10NV. It's not made for brush on mold applications. I think it would be hard to apply, since it's a bit thin. Also, it probably won't be stiff enough to make a reliable mold.

Rebound 25 is designed for brush on molds. It works very well. It's very thick and clings to vertical surfaces. An additive call Thi-Vex makes it as thick as cake frosting. You use that to build up the layers of your mold.

Here's part one of a video showing the whole process.

This is fairly advanced mold making. If you haven't worked with silicone before, watch the video several times and consider starting with something easier.

Wow, thanks so much. I was hoping to make a glove mold, and for some reason I thought DragonSkin 10NV was a brush on silicone. I also was thinking about PlatSil Gel-10, but I hadn't heard of Rebound 25 before. It looks like Rebound 25 is cheaper than Platsil as well, which is nice. In any case, I really appreciate the advice!

Wow, thanks so much. I was hoping to make a glove mold, and for some reason I thought DragonSkin 10NV was a brush on silicone.

Dragon Skin can be brushed on to skin to create makeup effects, prosthetics and other applications. But it would be too floppy to work as a glove mold.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back