Magneto Bust - Jim Lee inspired - Digital Sculpt

KJC

Jim Lee is my favorite comic artist, and I have wanted to make a Magneto helmet since I started prop making.
This is the reference image from his 90s X-Men run that I used for my digital sculpt.

jim lee helmet.jpg

I started out just sculpting the helmet, as I originally was going to do the helmet only as a prop.
Here is the helmet model on it's own. this was modeled in zBrush, Maya, and Cinema4D.

magneto helmet near final render.jpg
magneto helmet near final render side.jpg

I then decided to go ahead and sculpt a face for it and make a complete head and shoulder bust. Here is the side by side with the reference. I went for as realistic as I could while still basing on the face from the comic art. I'm not particularly good at rendering, so this is just done with basic zBrush poly paint.

magneto helmet side by side.jpg

I have to sculpt the shoulders and chest still. I may try to do something more than a standard face forward pose once the model is finished. This will be 3D printed at full 1:1 scale with removable wearable helmet. I will mold and cast both parts. Then after the typical clean up, comes painting. For the helmet, I want to do a more realistic metal finish with transparent red and purple over that, as opposed to the metallic flake car paint look that is often used on a lot of others. I may have a friend paint the head for me since I'm not experienced with painting realistic skin. I want to use a wig for the hair and real cloth for the cape and costume.

Attachments

• jim lee helmet.jpg
    jim lee helmet.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 137
  • magneto helmet near final render side.jpg
    magneto helmet near final render side.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 149
  • magneto helmet near final render.jpg
    magneto helmet near final render.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 176
  • magneto helmet with face posed 2.jpg
    magneto helmet with face posed 2.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 229
  • magneto helmet side by side.jpg
    magneto helmet side by side.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 3,477
Looks great. Been trying to track down a Jim Lee style helmet myself lately. Great work. Can't wait to see it painted up.
Thanks. This is a little on the small side, but fits me great. I plan to print, clean up, and mold a bigger one to sell casts and finished helmets.

Thanks. This is a little on the small side, but fits me great. I plan to print, clean up, and mold a bigger one to sell casts and finished helmets.
That's awesome, I might try and get one from you if you do try and sell one some day.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back