Mad Max: Fury Road

Dascoyne.....It's fascinating to read why a person likes or dislikes a movie so no disrespect here. Personally I liked Avatar because it did bring attention to native people regardless of who the "savior" was. I know we've seen this story before but I always like that simple turn of...this person from this tribe turning his back on his own people and helping out the "enemy". So if Sam Worthington's character was black or Latino would Avatar have stayed off the White Savior list?

Dascoyne.....It's fascinating to read why a person likes or dislikes a movie so no disrespect here. Personally I liked Avatar because it did bring attention to native people regardless of who the "savior" was. I know we've seen this story before but I always like that simple turn of...this person from this tribe turning his back on his own people and helping out the "enemy". So if Sam Worthington's character was black or Latino would Avatar have stayed off the White Savior list?
No offense taken.

The term white-savior is probably somewhat of a misnomer. It's less about the character being white than it is about the character representing first-world western liberal ideals. It's more about culture than race. Making the guy white is just icing on the cake. If the guy was black or Latino it would still be (ironically) a "white savior" movie.

And it's not that I would dismiss any film for being a white savior film. What makes Avatar a special case for me is that it's from James Cameron who has made films that were more layered and interesting with great characters (Terminator, T2, The Abyss, Titanic ...) than Avatar. I expect more from him.

Agreed....I think a lot of us expected more from Cameron. It seems like his approach to recent movies is maybe more mainstream (especially after Titanic) that what to me anyway was a certain uniqueness to his 80s films. I took Avatar as more of a mainstream enjoyment thats all. But since this is a Mad Max Fury Road thread I will admit I was a bit surprised that there wasn't more diversity in this film. Especially if you are presenting a post apocalyptic world where numerous people would've grouped together for a common cause. I liked it nevertheless less just sayin.

I'm actually working on four of the vehicles from Fury Road, I'm making the war rig, the doof wagon, the nux car and the spiky car... not sure what that one is called. They are 1:24-ish scale and 1/30-ish scales. It's a fun challenge!

FB_IMG_1467272065029.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

ATT_1467359990994_IMAG3815.jpg still a work in progress.

I caught myself saying "nah, let's just fang it" in conversation.
I don't think anyone got it.

Question: does anyone know first hand if "fang it" is existing slang or did it originate in Fury Road? Wasn't there a decorative skull with fangs on the war rig gear shift?

Last edited:
I think the one you're thinking of is the skull at the front of Nux's car, on the lancer's post; the one that sat right above Max when he was chained to it. That had a string of upturned ribs or fangs tied to the front of it.

As far as I know, "Fang it" is a genuine part of slang nomenclature. I don't know how far its use stretches back or the origins, though. Just quickly browsing Google, it owes its origins to the English or Australians and varies in use in everything from meaning "Go faster", "tackle it head on", or "making" it with a dame.

As an Aussie the term 'fang it' has been around for a long time before fury road. It means the same as 'floor it' or basically to go faster whilst driving.
If you watch the behind the scenes features on the fury road blu ray, they had a bit of an inside joke by actually making one of the gear shift knobs from a set of dentures. Its a shame it didnt make it on screen though.

I found this little gem on YouTube. I didn't even know that JoBlo Movie Trailers uploaded this. I have to say, it's not bad. I kinda wish they had done One of the Living instead, since the lyrics are more appropriate to this film. But still, not bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
That fabled black and white version? Gonna be released in a new Blu-Ray collection this year (September for the Germans, anyway, according to this article). Gonna be a feature called the "Black and Chrome" version.

As if I need another reason to watch the film, again.

tumblr_noucwtQ0AN1ru965xo1_500.gif

I can technically watch the black and white version at any time. I say "technically" because it requires me to use my DVD copy and using my video adjustments in my laptop's DVD player program to make it black and white (I've watched some movies in black and white just to see what they would look like. Honestly, it made me wish that Psycho II through IV would have been shot in black and white). I have to say, it's pretty good looking in black and white.

From what other interviews I've read, the B/W (rather, B/C) version is specifically graded to looks its best without color; shadows, contrast, etc. I find very few films I've tried the B/W experiment with have worked as well as Raiders does. I suppose they weren't kidding when they said that film was specifically shot like a black and white film serial.

Black and Chrome coming Dec 6, apparently. AND you don't have to buy the box set to get it, which is a (ahem) silver lining. I'm very excited to see if some of the fakey looking terrain looks better in B and W.

I will watch in Black and White, but I don't see why it needs it. I think one of the things I love most is the color palette.

I think it could HURT how much I love the film...

I may have to come back on this thread and admit I'm wrong though...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back