Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

Hey Guys Thanks for all the info and sourcing for this build, had a lot of fun making this! Went to Animenext about 3 weeks ago with my fiancé, who is also Imperator Furiosa, I have to admit her build was more challenging but even more fun, and I finally found some good pics. I started rebuilding her arm cause I wasn't entirely satisfied and was able to find a cheap Psp airsoft rifle and sawed off shot gun so we'll be doing a photo shoot soon and post some more. Thanks again to Everyone on this page who made this build Possible!
mad.jpgmad 2.jpgmad 3.jpgmad 4.jpgmad 5.jpg

MadBlake, Tom Hardy would be proud. And we are in awe because it looks badass!!! Tip of the cap to you sir.
I've been going on eBay to find some proper leather pants. Did Mel wear his original pants from the 1979 first Mad Max film, or did it change from movie to movie?

Thank You guys! I aim to please as for the Pants Kyle Reese Ive looked at different shots and it looks like Mel wears the same pants in mad max, and Mad max 2. It looks like it changed in Thunder Dome, they seem to be a bit more loose and baggy than the original. that or Mel stretched the hell out of those pants.

Thank You guys! I aim to please as for the Pants Kyle Reese Ive looked at different shots and it looks like Mel wears the same pants in mad max, and Mad max 2. It looks like it changed in Thunder Dome, they seem to be a bit more loose and baggy than the original. that or Mel stretched the hell out of those pants.

Mad Max 2, Thunderdome, and Fury Road are the same style pants. Thunderdome and Fury Road just being way more distressed but they are the same. The original Mad Max movie the pants have one "bound pocket" on the high right hand side of the pants where as the pants in the sequels have 2 standard front pockets. For the new guys, this info can be found at http://madmaxcostumes.com

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road Costumes Thread

I was able to find a picture of the rifle in profile and I think you're right. Hers seems to have same swoop in the stock as well as same rear sights. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Anybody have thoughts on that hand or clothing?
View attachment 468782

I know this thread is technically locked to Max now but I just wanted to point out that Valkyrie's rifle is the Rossi R92 16" .357 in Stainless Steel. (It was between the 20" and the 16" but proportionally it looks closer to the shorter carbine.) Also, I own one, so I know what my next costume is.

I think any leather pants looking similar, and a good price will do. The jacket will be hard. I still didn't ID the waffle thermal shirt Hardy wore in the film

Just received some amazing parts from a couple of fantastic members of this thread, Karol and Fabian :D Will post photos tonight.
I think I've found a jacket option that will work (with some work) on a budget as well. Looking forward to posting updates!
Karol, also looking forward to purchasing a knee brace from you as well, if there ends up being a run of them!!

Has anyone bought the Southbeach Fury road max jacket? For the price it sounds like a reasonable option, just curious if worth the price tag, I'm full prepared to weather the thing...

Lots of info on this jacket in the thread thus far :) one guy here bought one too and you can read his impression of it!
Www.madmaxcostumes.com/jacket has an awesome rundown of various options too, including the south beach leather jacket, and lists pros and cons of each. Great resource!

Hello! I am new to RPF and I wanted to say that you guys are awesome! I'm doing a "Mad Maxine" costume so I'm certainly not going for screen accuracy, but just reading this thread has already helped me a lot with my costume.

Does anyone have some advice about how to weather the leather jacket and pants? I've watched a few videos where people used acetone and dirt and basically dragged them with their car. But I was wondering if anybody knew some more theatrical methods? I want to get the leather to have that nice brown weathering the make the costumes in FR so distinctive. If I didn't know that the original Max costume was black I would've sworn that his leather jacket and pants were brown. Do you think it's necessary to start from black leather or would it be more effective to start from very dark brown leather? I'm asking this also because I already have dark brown leather pants and it would be nice to repurpose them, but I'm thinking maybe I should start from scratch with black pants... Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
For anyone looking for a close enough on the pants, may I recommend any waxed or coated black jeans?
They'll look like leather and if you're doing Fury Road the difference in texture works because Max's pants are so worn down they almost look like Suede, and they have sand thrown all over them.

Hello! I am new to RPF and I wanted to say that you guys are awesome! I'm doing a "Mad Maxine" costume so I'm certainly not going for screen accuracy, but just reading this thread has already helped me a lot with my costume.

Does anyone have some advice about how to weather the leather jacket and pants? I've watched a few videos where people used acetone and dirt and basically dragged them with their car. But I was wondering if anybody knew some more theatrical methods? I want to get the leather to have that nice brown weathering the meet the costumes in FR so distinctive. If I didn't know that the original max cost him cost him Halloween costume was black I would've sworn that his leather jacket and pants were brown. Do you think it's necessary to start from black leather or would it be more effective to start from very dark brown leather? I'm asking this also because I already have dark brown leather pants and it would be nice to repurpose them, but I'm thinking maybe I should start from scratch with black pants... Any advice would be appreciated!

For the weathering, I'd recommend starting with black, ando then distressing it first. Beat itup,then get some great paint that works well with leather and distress it more

Does anyone have some advice about how to weather the leather jacket and pants? I've watched a few videos where people used acetone and dirt and basically dragged them with their car. But I was wondering if anybody knew some more theatrical methods? I want to get the leather to have that nice brown weathering the make the costumes in FR so distinctive. If I didn't know that the original Max costume was black I would've sworn that his leather jacket and pants were brown. Do you think it's necessary to start from black leather or would it be more effective to start from very dark brown leather? I'm asking this also because I already have dark brown leather pants and it would be nice to repurpose them, but I'm thinking maybe I should start from scratch with black pants... Any advice would be appreciated!

I would stick with the whole acetone and dirt method, work's the best, here is a real good video and tutorial of how to do it mad max style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DhgTgHMPcY
Also @Kyle Reese is right, Yes absolutely go with black, and you could also get some good paint that works real well with leather to give it more detail. You just have to be a little more cautious with paint cause once you apply it that's pretty much it. I actually just re worked a new jacket for my max cosplay, and that video helped me greatly. I'll post some picks when I've completed it by attaching the shoulder pad.

Thanks MadBlake and Kyle Reese! Your advice is really helpful. I'm used to doing costumes for theater, where we only care if things look good from the stage and and we don't care how things look from close-up. So I'm excited to do a more accurate costume - though I'm not ready for SA (yet!) I definitely want to see pictures of your costumes as they progress!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I recently decided on making a Battle Jacket replica for my larping, and got one off of a Brittish surplus store. Nice quality and no ink or bugspray smell, just had to run it through the wash once to get rid of the warehouse smell.
So far I'm not planning on a 100% accuracy so I'm going with all condor and a Paired and Single M4 pouch instead of cutting up triples. I'm also only buying the sheath cuz that 300 dollar knife pricetag can go jump in a fire. I'm also not going to lug around 20 pounds of mags and ammo since I will be using this battle jacket for larps (Though I'll definetly be on the lookout for an AKM airsoft rifle for my character.)and I have to stand walking around for an entire weekend with the thing. I'll also add a camelback bladder to the top backpack pouch.

I was interested in any suggestions on what Max himself might do to the Jacket after a while, in the interest of making it still look Fury Road even with LArp Modifications.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back