Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

As always, thanks for all the help, guys, even if you don't know you're doing it!

Mostly a lurker here, but making a Mad Max (Fury Road) cosplay for DragonCon and this thread is a great reference.

I've only just started. Made my bracelet (easy) and dyed my shirt. Cutting and weathering the shirt soon, and then the quest for parts. I'm female, and doing Max (not femme Max), so I'm leaning toward cheating and wearing the turban from the beginning of Fury Road with the rest of the outfit from later in the film, much like when he stops the motorbike caravan in the salt flats. I have hair that could be make to be like his in the beginning, but I don't want to do that outfit, so I'm going to hide mine. Plus, fake facial hair is no fun. I was bummed out and wasn't going to even attempt Max until I remembered that headdress. It's a lifesaver!

Still up in the air and very tentative, but should be fun! :D

Awesome jackwabbit! Looking forward to seeing the progress!
I'm starting a Fury Road costume as well, have an order in with Karol for a shoulder pad which will be my first part!
Gonna be an exciting few months :)

Awesome jackwabbit! Looking forward to seeing the progress!
I'm starting a Fury Road costume as well, have an order in with Karol for a shoulder pad which will be my first part!
Gonna be an exciting few months :)

Excellent! And I see you're a new member! Well, welcome from a not-new but may as well be member! :D

I'm a thrift store junkie and I make most things myself. So, usually I'm not perfect, but I get the point across. So, nothing ordered yet. Bracelet done. Shirt dyed and the color came out well, but will weather and tear it up later. Two black leather jackets at the thrift store for $20 will be heavily modified next. One is so very nicely weathered already. Got lucky. The other was bought first at the other thrift store in town and isn't as nice, but it was $5, so it's a practice run and then spare leather. Gods knows I always need spare leather. And the practice! I've got shoulder pads laying around that will do (so far I've only purchased the jackets and the paracord, as I had dye and everything else in the house already. Cosplay does that, no? So much crap laying around, but when you use it, it justifies itself! Then those pants, boots, and accessories. Accessories, of course, I'll have to buy. That's where I spend most of my funds. You gotta have them, and there are so many great artists out there that I use them!

The rear left mag pouch still looks different to me. Tan or grey maybe?
max mag pouches.jpg
(Edit: if any of you were still wondering how the handle end straps were removed like I was, this shot shows the snap studs still intact, so likely they were just cut off past the stitching.)

Also, I've looked back through the thread a couple times and haven't found it; did we ever definitively ID the small pouch on the drop leg panel? Are we just looking at another pistol mag pouch?
max holster pouch.jpg
Edit: oh, found it, modified Coyote tan Condor flasbang single pouch, ID courtesy of augofett

Last edited:
Hi guys! Need help, which model of weapon is the shotgun used in the first half of film? Can i find a imitation or a toy gun similar? Thanks!!

Airsoft double barrel, is for sale ebay usa.
the seller does not ship international.
maybe a member here is willing to send them to europe.
i will cast my deactivated shotgun soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone has some pictures of the grizly max?
i think i found his goggles.

The rear left mag pouch still looks different to me. Tan or grey maybe?

(Edit: if any of you were still wondering how the handle end straps were removed like I was, this shot shows the snap studs still intact, so likely they were just cut off past the stitching.)
Hi TS, I don´t undrstand what are you exactly referring to.
I think that in some takes the "second" ammo pouch is tan.
And in the scan (where did you take it from?) we can see an empty knife shaeth. This is present in others pictures. So, should we assume he lost it at some point?

Hi. New RPF member, and cosplayer as well. I had questions about the leather jacket and pants. South Beach leather has mixed reviews and I can't afford Abby Shot as of now. Is there a way to get a good Mad Max jacket, and other movie leather jackets?

Last edited:
I would go with the south beach just bought one myself and have been altering and making adjustments myself along with stitching and cutting of the sleeve, if you want a jacket that is the closest thing to the movie go with south beach. Obviously you will never find anything close to the actual jacket used in the movie, short of emailing Jenny Beavan for the jacket she has in her closet. but south beach is the next best thing.

hey guys just want to show you my fury shoulderpad model , i am courrently sellin those models ( different customizations ) via my etsy store https://www.etsy.com/listing/236338...arable-shoulder-pad?ref=listing-shop-header-2 and my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stacey-Props/158499290976618?pnref=story# ...

this pad really changes a lot from the previous even if the overall look still reamins very close.. i ve also reworked and thickened the original plate as it is in this movie ! hope you like it !

2ztj7f9.jpg
2ch8hv.jpg
63y4ig.jpg
2r2u1hx.jpg
e96rf4.jpg

thank you !!!.. i haven t studied the jackets very well so i can t judge the south beach one ..but i ve seen Fabian s one and i like it very much !

Thanks, Ryann.

South Beach are not accurate as pointed out before and definitely not closest thing to the movie. They are affordable though and will do for anyone who's not an accuracy nut. I'd like to think mine is way more accurate then theirs but mine is also more expensive since they're made to measure in the USA.
RW%20Compare_zpsjslhu2ss.jpg

Thunderdome%20Compare_zpshddf3cce.jpg

FR%20Compare%201_zpssoftyqsa.jpg

FR%20Compare%202_zps2ynd9iz5.jpg

DSC04652_zpsgahlix6b.jpg

Hey guys, just joined and wanted to thank you all for all the great pictures and information. Went to Supercon this weekend and everyone loved the costume. I have a photo shoot set up next week so I'll post more pictures then.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    680 KB · Views: 888
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 617
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 769
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 605
Maybe finding a Brando jacket with no pockets can serve as a good alternative. It's definitely a good way to go. As for the pants, usually eBay is the best bet. I've seen tons of leather pants there. Not all accurate, but decent to work

Really a gorgeous jacket, Fabian! It would almost be a shame to put it through the weathering!
Definitely near the top of my list as I consider sources for the costume I'm working on, if I can come up with the dough.

Same here shatterhand. This build is tough, and requires a ton of dough. Especially the leather. But, some alternatives are possible. Like a Bando jacket with no pockets. And leather pants on eBay. There are tons of them.
I'm going to see if my Kyle Reese cosplay will survive long enough. If not, then on to Mad Max. I already am planning on the leather aspect.
for the army surplus pack, they are rare and finding them is luck in itself. I myself won't do the pack since the leather will be dough enough

Last edited:
I saw one of the combat vests on eBay, but it looked like it was in pretty rough shape. Correct color though, but I'm thinking I'll probably just do something that looks similar if I can't track down one of the real ones in decent condition.
I'm going to start checking out thrift stores to see if I can't stumble on some magic.

Thrift stores are a great way to stumble upon the waffle thermal shirt as well. Usually in very good condition. Be a shame to put it through some weathering, but the things we go for accuracy, right?
As for the pack, army surplus stores are a best first idea. Though rarely some have the pack and vests. I did see a pack on eBay some time ago, and Idk if it's still up. I might not do the jacket, and will go with the Max shirt, pants, and the boots. I'll have to create the mask, and chains too. I haven't gotten a positive ID on the shotgun he uses. But, the budget can only tell

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back