Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

So when it comes to a close enough boot what do you guys all think between these two?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CH...er+boots+for+men#immersive-view_1437036214713
and
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000Y...ness+boots&dpPl=1&dpID=41GD1RKF-rL&ref=plSrch

The first ones are a really good close enough to the boots from the first Mad Max, but they don't have the harnesses with the d ring that they added on the boots from Road Warrior onwards

The second ones have the harnesses and general shape, but no strap at all.

I'm just struggling to find any good boots at a decent price now that I have my trousers and shirt, so any suggestions are appreciated

Thank you, MadBlake. I was wondering how hard it was to put that many stiches in the leather. What kind of "lace" did use for the stitches?

It was very hard but very worth it, I'm very pleased with the look and the over all outcome of my jacket, But as someone stated before you should use the leather AWL it looks like a very good tool to have if your going to attempt this. Don't destroy your fingers like I did lol. and as for the lace I used Bead Landing, Imitation leather Cord I picked it up at a Michaels I don't think there available online but you can go to any of there stores and im sure they'll have something that is similar. I would just suggest a strong thick black lace or cord. Hope that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

No to the first ones, Yes to the second ones!!!

Okay guy's so a quick update on the new jacket and pants I just finished, at first I thought to just weather it with acetone and dirt, but as many times as I did that the outcome never quite sat well with me. So I kinda threw in the towel and went with the paint route, at first I felt like I was giving up the battle, but after regretting what I had done I took a step back and looked at my work and was very surprised, and very pleased. Let me know what you think.
(Max Before killing the Bullet farmer)
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 2 (1).JPG
(Max After Killing the Bullet Farmer)
photo 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

TuluThunder, I agree with MadBlake; I'll admit I haven't done as much research as you have on the boots, but the second ones definitely seem more "Mad Max" to me! Can't really put my finger on why but I'd definitely go with the second ones there. MadBlake, you're set up is looking fantastic! Great job so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Shatterhand ! And your speculation of the boots are just as good as mine lol, swear the first thing that came to mind was "they look more Mad Max to me"....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! I am new to RPF and I wanted to say that you guys are awesome! I'm doing a "Mad Maxine" costume so I'm certainly not going for screen accuracy, but just reading this thread has already helped me a lot with my costume.

Does anyone have some advice about how to weather the leather jacket and pants? I've watched a few videos where people used acetone and dirt and basically dragged them with their car. But I was wondering if anybody knew some more theatrical methods? I want to get the leather to have that nice brown weathering the make the costumes in FR so distinctive. If I didn't know that the original Max costume was black I would've sworn that his leather jacket and pants were brown. Do you think it's necessary to start from black leather or would it be more effective to start from very dark brown leather? I'm asking this also because I already have dark brown leather pants and it would be nice to repurpose them, but I'm thinking maybe I should start from scratch with black pants... Any advice would be appreciated!

Hello! Not a newbie here, but a rare poster and just wanted to say hi, as I'm another Mad Maxine costumer myself.

Though I'm not actually doing a femme version. I'm going to be Max (I'm tiny in the chest and can get away with it) - that said, I'm taking some liberties, because I'm not cutting my hair. Can't decide if I'm going to do the headdress from the first part of the film or completely "distress" my hair and just go with it out and proud and dirty. It's the facial hair that's killer, though, so likely some version of a desert scarf will be in play.

- - - Updated - - -

So when it comes to a close enough boot what do you guys all think between these two?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CH...er+boots+for+men#immersive-view_1437036214713
and
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000Y...ness+boots&dpPl=1&dpID=41GD1RKF-rL&ref=plSrch

The first ones are a really good close enough to the boots from the first Mad Max, but they don't have the harnesses with the d ring that they added on the boots from Road Warrior onwards

I'm just struggling to find any good boots at a decent price now that I have my trousers and shirt, so any suggestions are appreciated

I vote the second pair, too. I'm wearing a pair I found at the thrift store that aren't quite that "Mad Max," but they'll do.

I'm putting this one together on the cheap and rather quickly, so nearly everything is thrift shop, so I can get my SADF rig, if I can find one, and spend the most on paints and such for weathering.

So far, jacket, shirt, pants, and boots acquired. Need to weather all and finish the shoulder pad part of my jacket.

It's always something!

Like that damn knee brace. Kicking myself for finally getting rid of my own...would have been easy to modify, but now I have to build from scratch. Not so much on the easy.

and

You should really look into getting a pair of Soviet Officer boots with the smooth leather finish, like these:
boots.JPG

They might cost you a little bit more, but they're worth it. I bought myself a pair a few years ago and have been happy with them ever since. Although they have no buckles, the still look more "Max" than any other boot you will find. Karol will eventually be selling screen accurate boot bracelets which will compliment these boots so well.

Has anybody seen this 3-D printed Max facemask? http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:757515

The shape isn't perfect, but if you're not doing a totally SA costume it seems like a pretty good option as it would be comfortable for wearing for an extended period of time. Also, as I am doing a Mad Maxine costume, a 3-D printed mask pattern has the benefit of being scalable so that I can make it small enough to fit my face well. Of course then there's the whole issue of painting it so that it looks enough like metal...

Last edited:
Okay guy's so a quick update on the new jacket and pants I just finished, at first I thought to just weather it with acetone and dirt, but as many times as I did that the outcome never quite sat well with me. So I kinda threw in the towel and went with the paint route, at first I felt like I was giving up the battle, but after regretting what I had done I took a step back and looked at my work and was very surprised, and very pleased. Let me know what you think.
(Max Before killing the Bullet farmer)
View attachment 501717View attachment 501718View attachment 501719
(Max After Killing the Bullet Farmer)
View attachment 501720View attachment 501721View attachment 501724

I like it! I'm also trying to figure out how to do the distressing, and I think that getting the real brown color typical of FR would be extremely difficult by just using acetone and dirt. I think using paint is not giving up at all. It might be necessary. Your costume looks good! Can you tell me a little bit more about what type of paint and other distressing methods you used?

- - - Updated - - -

Hello! Not a newbie here, but a rare poster and just wanted to say hi, as I'm another Mad Maxine costumer myself.

Though I'm not actually doing a femme version. I'm going to be Max (I'm tiny in the chest and can get away with it) - that said, I'm taking some liberties, because I'm not cutting my hair. Can't decide if I'm going to do the headdress from the first part of the film or completely "distress" my hair and just go with it out and proud and dirty. It's the facial hair that's killer, though, so likely some version of a desert scarf will be in play.

Hello jackwabbit! Nice to talk to another Mad Maxine. Oddly enough, I have short hair and also small chest so I could do a male version of Max but I like doing gender swapped versions of characters because I enjoy the puzzle of trying to figure out what they should wear. I'm also doing this on the cheap side, so gender swapping the character allows me a little more freedom in finding and adapting costume pieces that don't start out totally accurate.

I've been thinking about your hair problem. facial hair is the worst! It's hard to make it look accurate and it's uncomfortable. You still might be able to do short hair. How much hair do you have? When I used to have long hair I had some success with pinning it in a wide flat spiral around my head and fitting it under a shorthaired wig. Not ideal, but doable. If you also decide to wear the facemask you might be able to hide the edges of a wig even more. Good luck, and let me know how you decide to handle it!

Hello jackwabbit! Nice to talk to another Mad Maxine. Oddly enough, I have short hair and also small chest so I could do a male version of Max but I like doing gender swapped versions of characters because I enjoy the puzzle of trying to figure out what they should wear. I'm also doing this on the cheap side, so gender swapping the character allows me a little more freedom in finding and adapting costume pieces that don't start out totally accurate.

I've been thinking about your hair problem. facial hair is the worst! It's hard to make it look accurate and it's uncomfortable. You still might be able to do short hair. How much hair do you have? When I used to have long hair I had some success with pinning it in a wide flat spiral around my head and fitting it under a shorthaired wig. Not ideal, but doable. If you also decide to wear the facemask you might be able to hide the edges of a wig even more. Good luck, and let me know how you decide to handle it!

My hair is currently pretty short for me. Just above shoulder length. My hair grows insanely fast, so I chop it off about every 14 months and donate it. Just did so after doing a Kate Bishop cosplay that isn't going to Dragon Con, so I don't need my real hair for now. I'm pretty familiar with wigs (usually hiding a lot more hair than this under one) and just did a very short boy wig with hair well down to the middle of my back, so I can do them, but I find that in general, boy wigs are hard to get to look right. And Max has essentially no hair, so even a boy wig would be too much. I might go that route, but I'm seriously considering a lot of product and actual dirt in my real hair. I'm okay with that, though I'd have to learn to do it (learned makeup for cosplay, why not learn hair? *grin*). But a wig and a scarf...hm...that might work.

Of course, I'm also considering shaving my head one day for a Saint Baldrick's event. I mean, charity and I get to shave my head without judgment, right? ;) Who knows?

As for your gender-swapping thing, I get that. I see the appeal for sure. I'm doing a cheap-ish version of Max, too, so I will have mods, but it'll look the part. But I'm just not doing a skirt or anything, so not truly gender-swapped. I'd be interested to see what you come up with. Are you planning on wearing this to a con or anything?

Btw, I'm Luke here: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3555003/

And Fractionverse Hawkeye here: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3555005/

One idea I've been toying with ever since I heard about theizz and jackwabbit doing Mad Maxine getups is what if it wasn't Max who survived, but his wife Jessie Rockatansky instead? I mean, it's not that unheard of for wives of cops to learn a thing or two from their husbands about their work, so what if Max and the Sprog died and she took a level in badass and ran the bike gang down in Max's Interceptor?

Just a thought.

One idea I've been toying with ever since I heard about theizz and jackwabbit doing Mad Maxine getups is what if it wasn't Max who survived, but his wife Jessie Rockatansky instead? I mean, it's not that unheard of for wives of cops to learn a thing or two from their husbands about their work, so what if Max and the Sprog died and she took a level in badass and ran the bike gang down in Max's Interceptor?

Just a thought.

What a fab idea!

Weathered my shirt and jacket yesterday/last night and it's coming along. Have progress pics, but not posted anywhere yet. I'm off to the fabric store today to make my shemagh (going to use it regardless for the look on the bike, but also to cover my lack of facial hair sometimes) - though last night in a very quick trial I pulled out my hair and mussed it a bit and not too bad, that. It was merely dirty from working all day, with no product or dirt, but I think it might do. The idea of Jesse surviving and Max not makes this so cool in my head. I may not even worry about no beard! Thanks for that!

Oh, and pics are on my Twitter feed, I suppose, for anyone wanting to take a look.

Shirt start: https://twitter.com/wabbit89/status/622783922355634176

Shirt in progress: https://twitter.com/wabbit89/status/622788978127736832

Shirt (nearly) final: https://twitter.com/wabbit89/status/622789060977782785

Quick trial last night: https://twitter.com/wabbit89/status/622785652677963776 (scuffed up the neck of the shirt more this morning, and yes, left the zipper zipped when I weathered to save the zipper - I'm okay with the black inner flap, though I might weather it more now - just didn't want to get too much grit in the zipper at first - likely will cover with tape and weather more, though, because too much contrast). Not done - needs damage and then repairs, but I need big black thread first (I'm thinking embroidery floss, because can use a regular needle and not an awl/save my hands some but still get the look? We'll see).

This isn't a SA costume for me (I try with many of mine, but others, not so much), but for the $6 I paid for that jacket at the thrift store (and the fact that it started like this: https://twitter.com/wabbit89/status/622512628200443905) and the $0 I paid for the shirt (had all the stuff laying around), I'll take it. I also really enjoy the challenge (sometimes) of doing things for next to nothing/with what I've already got, so there you go. Oh, and I found a South African rig the other day on Amazon, so I'll be putting most of my funds into shells, mags, etc. As you do. ;)

My shoulder pad weathered nicely. Just have to attach it. Not looking forward to those rivets, but those I've got in spades, and I'll get it done!

Last edited:
The current state of my Battle Jacket. For larping purposes I made improvised molle attachments for the M4 pouches so that I can put other stuff there later if the role calls for it, and I haven't removed all the lids to the pockets yet. I'm only waiting for the knife sheath now, then it's time to drag this puppy behind the dune buggy... for a start.
8kTRlpI.jpg

I also made a nice dump pouch out of the pocket I removed from the left side using a leather belt and some stuff left from a leg holster.
JRQQbZE.jpg

hey guy's, just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who posted pictures and links and tips, this forum has been my
bible for the last few months,
here are a few pics of me at London Film and Comic Con...
(i should point out that I made everything except the mask,
which was loaned to me for the photo by an awesome Max cosplayer named Dan)

DSC_2039.JPGDSC_2102.JPGDSC_2111.JPGDSC_2096.JPG

Last edited:
Hey @theizz thanks! Yeah after a few days of letting the jacket sit, I really don't feel like i gave up. Was mostly afraid of some cracking and chipping on the coat, but didn't give it a thick enough coat. As for technique i just did the acetone and wire brush and dirt rub, but wasn't satisfied enough so took two cans of rustoleum painters choice, (colors oregano, and khaki) lightly "very lightly" sprayed them didn't even have the dispenser pointed at the jacket when spraying. I also stood like 3 feet back cause i was so hesitant lol. But to my surprise it came out perfectly. I don't know if you would have to do both techniques to achieve the same outcome, but i would suggest acetone and rubbing the wire brush or sand paper over it to give it that gritty almost suede look before applying the paint. Hope this helps, and hope everyone had a good weekend!!!

photo 3.JPG

Last edited:
The current state of my Battle Jacket. For larping purposes I made improvised molle attachments for the M4 pouches so that I can put other stuff there later if the role calls for it, and I haven't removed all the lids to the pockets yet. I'm only waiting for the knife sheath now, then it's time to drag this puppy behind the dune buggy... for a start.
View attachment 503313

I also made a nice dump pouch out of the pocket I removed from the left side using a leather belt and some stuff left from a leg holster.
View attachment 503318

Looking good!

- - - Updated - - -

hey guy's, just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who posted pictures and links and tips, this forum has been my
bible for the last few months,
here are a few pics of me at London Film and Comic Con...
(i should point out that I made everything except the mask,
which was loaned to me for the photo by an awesome Max cosplayer named Dan)

View attachment 503342View attachment 503343View attachment 503344View attachment 503345

Great job! Like how you did multiple costumes for Max. I just realized I really don't need the battle rig I ordered the other day/am considering just going with the jacket alone, but... but... but... I want it! :D

Last edited:
Hey @theizz thanks! Yeah after a few days of letting the jacket sit, I really don't feel like i gave up. Was mostly afraid of some cracking and chipping on the coat, but didn't give it a thick enough coat. As for technique i just did the acetone and wire brush and dirt rub, but wasn't satisfied enough so took two cans of rustoleum painters choice, (colors oregano, and khaki) lightly "very lightly" sprayed them didn't even have the dispenser pointed at the jacket when spraying. I also stood like 3 feet back cause i was so hesitant lol. But to my surprise it came out perfectly. I don't know if you would have to do both techniques to achieve the same outcome, but i would suggest acetone and rubbing the wire brush or sand paper over it to give it that gritty almost suede look before applying the paint. Hope this helps, and hope everyone had a good weekend!!!

View attachment 503426

I did this, too, because the jacket I used (very inexpensive, etc) was thin and a ladies fashion-type jacket, so I was worried if I did much more rubbing, I'd wear through the leather in places. So I used acetone and dirt to get a nice base going and some scuffs in places, then did just a bit of paint. I used Rustoleum's textured in multi-colored tan and sprayed like you did. Far away, just a little, etc. I also threw a little more dirt on the paint for good measure. Just a few sprinkles here and there. The paint made it stick really well. As far as I'm concerned, yes, I suppose it's not pure weathering, but whatever works isn't cheating. :)

My "final" (in quotes because these things are never done and because I randomly just stopped stitching the collar on one side apparently and there's one more area that needs dirt and need to add the shoulder pad) jacket is here: https://twitter.com/wabbit89/status/623093789960224768/photo/1

Great job! Like how you did multiple costumes for Max. I just realized I really don't need the battle rig I ordered the other day/am considering just going with the jacket alone, but... but... but... I want it! :D

thanks so much, we started recreating scenes, and i realised that a lot of the ground interaction was before Max had the battle rig, and luckily this guy Dan had made the mask, he's got some great posed pics, i'm definitely going to make one myself for the next con in october, i definitely recommend going for the whole costume tho, i loved wearing it all, felt totally bad-ass :D

I did this, too, because the jacket I used (very inexpensive, etc) was thin and a ladies fashion-type jacket, so I was worried if I did much more rubbing, I'd wear through the leather in places. So I used acetone and dirt to get a nice base going and some scuffs in places, then did just a bit of paint. I used Rustoleum's textured in multi-colored tan and sprayed like you did. Far away, just a little, etc. I also threw a little more dirt on the paint for good measure. Just a few sprinkles here and there. The paint made it stick really well. As far as I'm concerned, yes, I suppose it's not pure weathering, but whatever works isn't cheating. :)

My "final" (in quotes because these things are never done and because I randomly just stopped stitching the collar on one side apparently and there's one more area that needs dirt and need to add the shoulder pad) jacket is here: https://twitter.com/wabbit89/status/623093789960224768/photo/1

Wow that jacket is looking great, Excellent job!!! can't wait to see your Mad Maxine!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back