LUKES LANDSPEEDER AT COSI SW EXHIBIT

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by jedivigneri, Jun 23, 2006.

1. jedivigneri

jedivigneri Well-Known Member

Hey gang, i was at the COSI sw science of imagination exhibit and was floored to get up close to the original landspeeder from SW. i heard that it had been repainted for phantom menace in 98 after being in the original sw prop exhibit and seen only that once in san fran in 95 at the magic of myth. Has anyone gotten GOOD pics of it? it was kool to see up close and not buried behind glass like the previous exhibits....

2. THX1138

THX1138 Well-Known Member

They should have never painted it green for TPM and just left it the original color.

I'd also like to see current pics of it.

- Jim :fettrotj

3. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

I have pics of it from the Boston Museum from this past november. It doesn't look like they painted it at all. Perhaps it was just digitally painted.

I'll post some pics in a few minutes.

-Fred

4. BladeMasterFemme

BladeMasterFemme New Member

:angry

I REALLY wish this show was going to make a stop in my area. Would LOVE to see that Landspeeder.

5. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Ok, here are the pics

overall shot

[​IMG]

Dash detail

[​IMG]

Backside detail

[​IMG]

Center engine detail

[​IMG]

Left side engine detail

[​IMG]

Circuit board detail

[​IMG]

Hood circuit board detail - these are the cylinders that were used on the mouse droids and the E-11 mag housings

[​IMG]

These were taken with a 8 MP digital camera, so I can post much closer detail pics of anything you guys may want from those pics.

Thanks to WC for hosting.

-Fred

6. BladeMasterFemme

BladeMasterFemme New Member

:eek

Great pics. Thanks for taking the time to share them.

7. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Looks like the top of an IG-88 head sticking out of the engine.

8. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

BMF, you're welcome and my pleasure

PHA, that's what they are. All 3 engines are Derwent burner cans. Don't know if they're the correct ones for the IG88 head or the slightly off one.

-Fred

9. Ewok

Ewok Active Member

Cool......thanks for the pics. Havn't seen much pics of the landspeeder so far. These ones are great. Funny to see what parts they used for detailing on this one. I love this style. Man...I wish I had the chance to see it by my own.

10. JHVanOphem

JHVanOphem Well-Known Member

As far as the repaint. There were three landspeeders made.

One that was on a boom and "floated" with the help of a counterweight and crewpeople.

Second one had a metal pole in the back for stationary shots. Thats the one in the Tusken looting scene. A strategically placed rock covered the pole.

The third version was on wheels. They tried to cover the wheels with angled mirrors for use in long shots, but didn't really work as well as expected. Its what they drove into Mos Eisley with.

The one at COSI is the wheeled version.

Could be the one in TPM that was repainted was the pole version. It just stationary in that scene as well. The pole now can be removed digitally.

11. Vaderman

Vaderman Sr Member

Lots of folks building the MSE would love to see closer shots of that hood detail, if you have them. :)

Nice shots, thanks for sharing.

12. Jango_Fett_Jr

Jango_Fett_Jr Well-Known Member

Did anyone went to this exhibit get sort of emotional when you saw the landspeeder? I know I did :lol
    I fell in love with this thing when I first saw Star Wars, and seeing it in person was just incredible. I'd love to build one of these one day.

13. Vaderman

Vaderman Sr Member

I would love to build a landspeeder one day, but it would have to be far in the future and something my kid wanted so we could team up to convince the wife...
    :p

Is it okay to share these with the yahoo groups for MSe and Landspeeder builders?

If you don't want them to go out, no problem, just say so.

Thanks.

14. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Gigatron @ Jun 24 2006, 04:55 AM) [snapback]1267089[/snapback]</div>
    cool it even has a multi-changer :lol

15. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(zorg @ Jun 24 2006, 09:14 AM) [snapback]1267162[/snapback]</div>
    :lol :lol :lol

16. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Glad everyone likes them :D

Vaderman, Here is a closeup of that section. I broke it up in to 2 pieces to get the maximum detail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can share, all that I ask is that you give credit where credit is due ;)

I can get even closer, but then you'll end up with a dozen pictures that don't make any sense because they'll be out of context.

-Fred

17. jedivigneri

jedivigneri Well-Known Member

WOW GREAT PICS.. THANX FOR POSTING... I may go back tomorrow with a digital and cover it to...ya can get right next to it the way they set it up.. :) i just dont see how anyone can reproduce one of these to the detail they did...but would be FUN to try :) Im bummed the base of the car isnt a volkswagen bug...its gonna be hard to find that 3 wheel english buggie thing....:( curt

18. OhioAstromech

OhioAstromech Well-Known Member

Is it me or do the engine housings look like Conga drums?

19. Vaderman

Vaderman Sr Member

Thanks. I will certainly give credit where it is due.
    I appreciate the sharing.

20. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Great pics.

Luke's Speeder was always one of my favorite pics from the OT.

21. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

Thanks for sharing.... Great pics.

22. spidermale

spidermale Well-Known Member

it was a great exhibit when it was at boston, but i hope that for you folks its in a larger area. the whole exhibit was crammed into one room of the museum of science, not much room to stand back and take a good picture. While your there, take a look inside the cockpit of the tantive IV, the playboy posters gone lol.

23. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(MasterVader @ Jun 24 2006, 06:57 PM) [snapback]1267390[/snapback]</div>

Nope, still there

[​IMG]

Gotta love the power of 8 MP B) . Just wish I didn't have to shoot through glass and fight the glare - it could've been a better picture.

-Fred

24. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

Your camera is really impressive...

25. seven

seven Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Duck9000 @ Jun 24 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]1267427[/snapback]</div>
    Its all about the photagrapher knowing how to use their camera

26. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

I always thought it was a mini Star Wars poster :confused I didn't know it was playboy. :lol

27. Bradleyfett

Bradleyfett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Gigatron,

I'd love to see some close-ups of the dash control panel- as close as you can get.

Thanks for all the pics so far.

Mark

28. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ Jun 25 2006, 01:51 AM) [snapback]1267579[/snapback]</div>

You got it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy

Thanks to WC for hosting

-Fred

29. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Here's my take on the Lady of our Tantive IV..... ;)

[​IMG]

:love

30. Darth Fetty

Darth Fetty Well-Known Member

Jeez, I never knew about that poster in the Tantive. :lol

Nice pics of the landspeeder.

Here's my own, rather large pic of it in Boston....

Landspeeder
    (not the best- I know)

31. seven

seven Sr Member

does anyone know which pinup girl that is? (like what issue of playboy etc)

certainly a needed thing for those trying to build a accurate studio scale model...

32. Utinni

Utinni Sr Member

The silver piece looks A LOT like what was used as a Shock Mount on the Proton Packs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a pressure switch that is one of the Holy Grails in the GB prop community, I've only seen one real one, that's owned by Cyland.

Jeff

33. builditimust

builditimust New Member

These pics are amazing. Not only are they great quality, but I have never seen pics of the details like this before. Simply great. Thanks for sharing them.

Brian

34. spidermale

spidermale Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Gigatron @ Jun 24 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]1267403[/snapback]</div>

Nope, still there

[​IMG]

Gotta love the power of 8 MP B) . Just wish I didn't have to shoot through glass and fight the glare - it could've been a better picture.

-Fred
    [/b][/quote]
    Wow thats crazy. Is it possible its a differant model? I swear to god, I went and checked it out because two other guys shined their cellphones and flashes and anything else they had to try to get a shot inside and when they said it was removed, thats when I remembered the legend. I got as close as I could and took a pic but when it was developed the whole room was empty. Hmm...actually do you think that the poster was removed for the boston exhibit and put back for COSI? Its a stretch I know, altering a movie prop, but nothing surprises me about new england anymore.

35. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(MasterVader @ Jun 25 2006, 04:42 PM) [snapback]1267849[/snapback]</div>
    This pic was taken at the Boston exhibit - Saturday, November 5th, sometime between 11:00 AM and 2:00 PM (not that I keep track of these things ;) :lol )

-Fred

36. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For those who are curious, July 1976, Deborah Borkman.
    Heh, US Bicentennial... interesting way to celebrate.

37. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Clerval @ Jun 25 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]1267945[/snapback]</div>

:confused :confused

-Fred

38. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Weeeellll... people were asking. Pbthhtt. (and it's not anything that couldn't be found in more than a mintue of searching online, which is how I got it :) )

39. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Clerval @ Jun 25 2006, 07:35 PM) [snapback]1267963[/snapback]</div>

It's just that I don't understand what that's in refernce to. Is that the playboy centerfold and year, or something else :) ?

-Fred

40. JHVanOphem

JHVanOphem Well-Known Member

Right.

Found a nice hi-res pic of the centerfold if you want to scale it down to 3/4 inch height to be accurate.

Just do a google image serach on her name with the large pics filter.

41. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There WAS a c3p0 arm piston on the dashboard a few years ago which is now gone.

<div class='quotetop'>(JHVanOphem @ Jun 25 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]1267979[/snapback]</div>

42. RICHIES ARMOR

RICHIES ARMOR Sr Member

The dash buttons look to be the same as the Vader Chest box buttons.

Richie

43. Cirielle

Cirielle Active Member

Great pics. :thumbsup

I never knew about the poster either...but it is funny... :D

What no Hustler in the Landspeeder? :confused :eek

44. Mr_Sparkle

Mr_Sparkle Well-Known Member

There are quite a few parts on that dash that we see elsewhere...

The Hengstler Counter
    Imperial Rank Rectangles / Vader Chest Buttons
    "Catamaran piece" (Just above the hengstler)
    Antenna greeblies (vertically oriented on the left side of the hengstler)
    3PO/Vader Rod parts (some of which are now missing. Marcus, any shots "before"?)

With that hengstler in there its a grate source for Scale on those other greeblies.
    Chris

The Parts of Star Wars

45. SpyderDan

SpyderDan Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I saw the Tantive cockpit centerfold in person, at the exhibition in SF back in 95. That's the same one. :love

46. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Chris, here's a picture showing the dashboard circa 1995. Has TK409 been near it since then??? ;)
    [​IMG]

47. Macklin

Macklin Well-Known Member

Top right on the dash panel...is that the inside of 3PO's restraining bolt?

48. Trooper TK409

Trooper TK409 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(kurtyboy @ Jun 27 2006, 10:16 AM) [snapback]1269171[/snapback]</div>

:D Cool photo Marcus.

I have a few more unconventional Boston Landspeeder pics here
    http://www.tk409.com/anthonydaniels (scroll down)

[​IMG]

49. WebChief

WebChief Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Jango_Fett_Jr @ Jun 24 2006, 02:47 AM) [snapback]1267147[/snapback]</div>

Hell yeah man, we in the NEG got quite attached to that thing. The last day the exhibit was open they let us climb over the railing and take pictures with the speeder. We jokingly refer to it now as OUR landspeeder.

We miss it. :cry

Oh yeah... and the Playboy poster was in the cockpit in Boston. We found it instantly. :lol

50. Darth-Shawn

Darth-Shawn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(BladeMasterFemme @ Jun 23 2006, 11:54 PM) [snapback]1267088[/snapback]</div>
    great pics, thanks for sharing