SW Where Science Meets Imagination - COLUMBUS!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by GINO, May 28, 2006.

1. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For those that don't already know, the next stop for the SW WSMI Exhibit is in Columbus, OH. It's being held at COSI which is literally 5 min from where I live.

For the past week, I've been at the exhibit taking behind the scenes photos for Columbus CityScene Magazine. It was extremely cool to see the stuff being un-crated and set up. I've been to a few of the SW traveling exhibits (multiple times) but never had the opportunity to be this up close & personal with the items. Second only to a trip to the LFL archives. A lot of these behind the scenes photos will be featured in the magazine which will hopefully be for sale in the exhibit.

The exhibit is way cool. The full scale milennium falcon interior and cockpit are a must see for any SW fan, not to mention the props, models, and costumes. Seeing the blockade runner and landspeeder were amazing. I believe this exhibit is the first time either of them have ever been on display. There is a good ratio of classic trilogy items to new trilogy for those interested. For me, that means mostly classic trilogy. ;)

I was just curious to see who was planning on making the trek out to my neck of the woods and when.

2. juno

juno Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm in Cincinnati, and half my friends are in Columbus, so I'll definitely be there.

3. Got Maul

Got Maul Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

when are the exhibition dates ? I think its time for me to travel .

4. steveo

steveo Sr Member

Cincinnati here also and will hopefully be making several trips up there. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the new added items that weren't at MOM. I just wish there was a Boushh costume there.

Steveo

5. Jango_Fett_Jr

Jango_Fett_Jr Well-Known Member

I'll be there for the opening weekend. Hope you can make it out Gino, it would be nice to meet you and any other RPFers that are attending.

6. GINO

I'll be at the media preview opening for sure. But I'm sure I'll going back there a lot.
    The exhibit is from June 3 to sometime in Sept.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to coordinate a date for rpf'ers.

7. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My nephew is graduating down in Dublin the next weekend, so we will be coming down fo r a visit. We decided to stay overnight and visit the exhibit while we are there next Sunday.

8. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

I'm too lazy right now to do any kind of search... is there a link that might provide some more details?

And it would be a cool if we could determine a date and time for RPF'ers to meet up. :thumbsup

9. GINO

10. BLEE

BLEE New Member

I will be going to this sometime this summer. I live in Jamestown, New York and this will be an 8 hour round trip drive time, but will be well worth it.

11. GINO

If there is enough interest, maybe there is a chance of piggy backing a prop party onto a weekend during the exhibit as well. Doesn't have to be right away, we have until September.

Anyone?

12. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

I'd love to see this....why can't these exhibits come to Canada?

13. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

I plan on making a few trips down there. It would even more slick to piggyback it on to a work call.

14. SFPROPS

SFPROPS Well-Known Member

I'm 2 hours from Columbus. Me and the boy (he was too young for the MOTM tour) will being heading there some time this summer, but I'm not sure when. We were just at COSI 2 months ago, so I figured I'd wait a little while before going again. Maybe July.

15. JHVanOphem

JHVanOphem Well-Known Member

Another Canuck going to be there for opening weekend. Looking forward to it.

16. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

I'll be there opening weekend, (next weekend)

17. Mr_Sparkle

Mr_Sparkle Well-Known Member

Cincinnati local here as well... I'm sure I'll be up there a few times.

Chris Reiff
    www.partsofsw.com

18. steveo

steveo Sr Member

I didn't realize there were so many Cincinnatians here...someone should get an outing or something together.

19. TK895

TK895 New Member

Myself and three others from IL will be at the COSI events this coming weekend. From Friday 6pmish until some time Sunday. Be great to see some of you again. I'll be a Tusken working the event, make sure you say hi.

20. saxe coburg

saxe coburg Sr Member

Myself and several other 501st from TN willing be getting to COSI friday afternoon... the cars all ready packed.
    :D

21. Capt MarVell

Capt MarVell Well-Known Member

Cincinnati here as well, but for the next month or so, my time is not my own, I'm afraid. Maybe sometime in July I'll make it up there...

Jim

22. Tambo Fett

Tambo Fett Well-Known Member

I'll be getting in this Friday for the opening weekend with the 501st. I'll have my Jango and Death Star Trooper costumes. I hope to see lot's of you.

23. GINO

Just returned from the media preview and it was fantastic.

All the props and models are so accessible for photograpy for those interested. ;)

The full size falcon cockpit interactive was something not to be missed. There were times where it felt like you were truly drifting in space.

I saw some people dressed for the event, but since I was officially there on work, I didn't socialize it up. Seeing a motorized artoo is always cool. Also a nifty Ep. 3 clonetrooper.

The highlight was getting to talk to Don Bies. I was planning on bribing him with major cash for a tour of the archives but I backed out at the last second. What a puss I am.

I'll be there Friday night for the midnight opening as well as sometime during the day on Sat.
    Looking forward to meeting some of you.

P.S.
    I wasn't kidding about someone (besides me) organizing a prop party sometime before Sept 4, (which is the last day of the exhibit.) I can help strategize but just don't have the time to do all the legwork.

24. WebChief

WebChief Sr Member

I can't believe I'm saying this (because I trooped at it so many times already in Boston) but I MISS it..... Man I miss it being here in Boston. *.

I loved the Falcon cockpit the most... what a blast. Have fun guys. Wish I was there with you all.

25. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(WebChief @ Jun 1 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]1254322[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Bob, what did it feel like to be inside the Falcon cockpit? Is it the real cockpit from the movies, 1:1 scale? Was the cockpit fully fleshed out, with all the details we see in the movies, or was it a bare-bones version? Was it just the cockpit, or did they also have any part of the ship that leads up to the cockpit? Do you have any pics of the Falcon you could post, interior and exterior? Thanks. :)

The Wook

26. Eyes Only

Eyes Only Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We're setting up a company night for where I work. 2 hours of uninterupted geekness for about $5 a person.

ahhhhhhhhh...

27. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(GINO @ May 28 2006, 09:22 AM) [snapback]1252120[/snapback]</div>
    Got any pics to share? I'd love to see them

FB

28. WebChief

WebChief Sr Member

The Falcon cockpit should bring the kid out in everyone... its so neat.

Its not a 100% accurate cockpit by any stretch of the imagination but it is representative enough to get you excited. In addition to the cockpit itself theres the whole hallway leading in. Switches and buttons are everywhere but they aren't too detailed. Trust me though, when the film starts you'll be so excited that you won't care about the buttons. :lol The sound system is great too... installed by BOSE.

Here's a few different pictures of it from Boston:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

Dammit.. I'm all geekin' out now. COSI will get a lot of my money this summer.

30. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

I went to the one in Boston - what a great time :) .

Here's a tip for any photographers: if you have a high MP camera, set it to MACRO and get as close to the prop as possible. You never know what little details you'll pick up. It's how I found the maker's mark on the Jawa blaster. I didn't see it until I was downloading the pic in to my computer.

Try and get multiple close-up pics of the engine detail of the land speeder. Those cylinders were also used on the mouse droid and some of the E-11s. I got a nice shot, but didn't see any identifying marks. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

-Fred

31. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(WebChief @ Jun 1 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]1254357[/snapback]</div>
    So then, are you saying it's not the set piece from the films, but a re-creation? If so, was it ILM that re-created it, and if so, when? Was it re-created for the purpose of this traveling exhibit?

And what's this "film" you're talking about? How long is it? What's it of? I'm guessing (from your photos) that they show you what it looks like to make the jump to light speed. What else is in the film? Tie Fighters whizzing by? Star Destroyers in the distance, firing on the Falcon? I'm glad to hear that the sound system is great too. Does the cockpit vibrate at all, by chance?

Sorry for the spanish inquisition, but for those of us who haven't seen it, we need to live vicariously through your experiences. :D

As for the pics--looks awesome. :thumbsup Thanks for posting them.

The Wook

32. Jango_Fett_Jr

Jango_Fett_Jr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips Gigatron, I'll definitely be taking lots of photos this weekend.

33. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

sweet. i didn't realize the falcon was travelling with it.

34. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Well-Known Member

See you all there. I'll be the taller shocktrooper.

35. stormtrooperguy

<div class='quotetop'>(The Wook @ Jun 1 2006, 04:13 PM) [snapback]1254386[/snapback]</div>
    first the falcon:

it's a virtual reality type theater thing. there's a 360 degree screen surrounding the cockpit, and you go in, sit down, and you take a virtual tour of space narrated by anthony daniels.

it features some x wings flying by, but it's mostly educational. it's got an AMAZING sound system, and the FX are great.

second, for living vicariously... i've got 400 high res photos from the boston exhibit up. it's just like being there :)

http://tk7602.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=119

36. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

Thanks tk7602. :)

But I'm still wondering...where did this Falcon cockpit come from. Anyone know the story behind it?

Thanks,

The Wook

37. propcicle

propcicle Well-Known Member

Anyone going next week? This weekend is packed for me, but I plan on taking a day off Wednesday to take the family up (also from Cincy area). I know my boys will be dressed up, but can't seem to talk the wife into it (she makes a great Leia though :love). Look forward to seeing reports after this weekend. Say "Hi" if you recognize the jawa or mini-Luke ROTJ walking around next week.

[attachmentid=8374]

-Propcicle

38. stormtrooperguy

<div class='quotetop'>(The Wook @ Jun 2 2006, 07:46 AM) [snapback]1254754[/snapback]</div>

it was custom built for this "ride"

39. GINO

Who is going to the midnight premier tonight, and who is going tomorrow (Sat.)?

40. vaderfanforever

vaderfanforever Active Member

Man I wish this exhibit was coming to Canada. We have a sience museum right here in Ottawa, Ontario. That is the perfect spot for it for sure. Oh well, I guess I won't be seeing it any time soon.

VaderFanForever

41. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

How did I miss this thread? :lol I live in Columbus, and will be at the exhibit quite a bit.

I'm going to the opening tonight (I could only get tickets for the 12:45 showing, but I will be there)

I'm also going to be there on June 10th, and July 15, for events with other groups, but I'm probably going to go many more times, plus I would LOVE it if we had a prop party here for once. :)

Jason

42. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

BTW, just so people know who to look for tonight, this is me'

[image]http://members.aol.com/jedimasterjpb7/mypics/1[/image]

[image]http://members.aol.com/jedimasterjpb7/RPF/Ijedi[/image]

Minus the beard, and in a sith robe tonight. I t's much easier to put on, and take off, the my jedi gear, but I will be there in my jedi gear at later dates.

Jason

43. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

WOW. For those of you who didn't go last night, you are going to love the COSI exhibit.

They had so much stuff. I've been to a number of the other exhibits, but this one had much more, then most. Plus, there's a bunch of fun interactive things to watch and do, if your into science, and what not. (which I am. :) ) Plus, there are video screens all over telling you about the items on display, the movies (the stories and behind the seines stuff too) and real world technology, that has a clear connection to what we see on screen. There was much more, but I don't wont to blow the surprises for anyone. I'll just say, it was a blast being around all that great screen used stuff.

I will say that the gift shop is kind of on the pricey side, but most are, so if you want a souvenir, bring lot's of money. Also, I was a little disappointed to see they only had 6 lightsabers, and like 6 blasters, but what they did have was great, and though they were behind glass (plexy glass?) you could get very close. (I mean really close, the glass was only like an inch or two, from all the sabers they had, so even my blind self could see every little detail)

I can't wait to go back. :)

Jason

44. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

So close to Natti' it isn't funny.

I am making the trek to Columbus :)

45. BatDemon

BatDemon Active Member

Wish I could have made it to opening night. I live in Columbus, too. A prop party here is a good idea.

46. Darth Cross

Darth Cross Well-Known Member

I really wish I could've made it this weekend. But, that's the way things work out. :(

I'm sure I'll hear how great it is from my friends in the Southern Outpost.

I do think that a prop party would be a great idea. Let's not let this opportunity slip thru our fingers.

Richard

47. propcicle

propcicle Well-Known Member

Bump...

How about some pics from the opening night?

48. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

I didn't take any. :( I figured that there would be tons of people taking them so I thought I would see what they came up wit, and if I need any more, I'll take them when I'm back down there next weekend, when the crowd isn't as bad.

Not to mention that there was so much to do, and so little time to do it in, Friday night, that I had to miss the falcon experience thing. :( But, I'll see it next weekend. I'll have to finish my solo costume, and get a pic in it. :)

Jason

49. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just got back from a weekend there in Columbus. Went Saturday afternoon. The tickets were sold in groups of 15 minutes. Once you came inside, you could stay as long as you wanted.
    The 501st had a ton of costumed people there. Made for a super show just coming into the museum. Clone troopers as well as jedi and sith abound at the front door. A Studio scale X-Wing sat out front for all to see. Nice.
    We were able to get right in without a wait and noticeds the autograph section was very easy to get through with almost no wait at all saturday afternoon. The exhibit was in one of the upper floor wings. A tone of things not shown at MoM, definately worth the visit. The MoM was much larger but this was a great display none the less. Alot of items from the new movies were shown there as well as a few from the older trilogy. OOOhhhh, got to get that Millinium Falcon somehow out of there. Tons of interactive displays for the kids including programable mini R2's the kids loved to carry around from certain displays.
    The souvineer shop was bland, nothing really aimed at the show except for a book, t-shirt and pin. Got the pin, best value to get. :) They had the MR mini sabers, just the new Obi and Darth vader minis as well as the full size vaders. No FX sabers, they could have made a killing selling FX sabers there (cough cough MR and Lucas, sel the FX sabers there, you will do well to do so). ;)
    The 501st help make this a great event, Kudos to them for the photo ops and guides for the fans.

50. Arkamis

Arkamis Well-Known Member

I just wanted to post our group photo. I am the XO of the Ohio Garrison of the 501st. It was a blast being there and we'll be there all summer. Hope everyone comes out.

[​IMG]