Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by ob1al, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I have a replica ROTJ hero version, but I have a growing fascination with the Luke V2 saber.

If you own a replica of this saber, I'd love to see it.

What is the best version out there currently?

Is there any substance to the rumour that MR will produce a Luke V2 next year?

2. JediLip

JediLip Well-Known Member

I have a "clean" version that I just haven't gotten around to weathering...yet.
    [​IMG]

I've since removed the chrome tape from the clamp. After the DVD release, I really couldn't find the tape on there. Just a personal preference. :D

3. Vaapad_VII

Vaapad_VII New Member

I haven't heard those MR rumors of a V2 in '06 for a while now...I guess we'll find out when the product plan is released (any day now...) but I wouldn't count on it in '06

4. Sumatra

Sumatra Sr Member

Here's mine. It was made by Viper1357. It's based on one of his hero sabers, but it was modified and repainted.

[​IMG]

5. 3Tripnip

3Tripnip Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is the V2 the exact same as the Hero except for the Graflex clamp and the cone knob? I'm thinking of trying to make one of these myself. :) Awesome shots by the way.

-Tr1p

6. Vaapad_VII

Vaapad_VII New Member

The v2 should have a D-ring instead of a Tri-ring

7. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

I think theres quite a few differnces...I'm not versed in them all though...Darth Saber has his saber perfect last I recall...Hopefully he will post.

8. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The V2 is not the same as the hero saber. It is enitrely different in every dimension. It may look similar overall , but saying it is the same is like saying the OWK ROTS and ANH saber are the same.

The V2 is the saber prop that Mark wore on his belt through most of the filiming of ROTJ.

It is made out of one of the OWK stunt sabers that was left over from ANH. The body is made from cast aluminum. The casting was made from a woden master made by the floor affects people for ANH.

The saber is essentially the same as the Luke Stunt saber except that the paint sceme is different and it has a knurreled knob on the back of the saber. It has a graflex clamp and a d-ring. It also has a small metal rod ineserted in the emmiter face.

More info can be found here

http://www.partsofsw.com/jedsab_2.htm

Dan Stokes

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
    darthcue likes this.
  9. 3Tripnip

3Tripnip Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Jeez, that's a little drastic. :confused

That's just what I've heard. Guess I'll have to do more research on this saber. Now, back to the pics. :)

10. Riv

Riv Well-Known Member

I just know I want one reaaaaal bad.

:lol

I'm surprised that someone hasn't done a run of these before to sell. I guess the detailing/weathering might be a little time consuming to do in multiple. :p

11. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There have been runs before, but in my opinion, no accurate versions produced. The reason is because the Luke ROTJ V2 saber was kinda crap. Acutally... make that Craptacular.

Most people wouldn't want a cast metal saber with a visable seam line running down the side and aluminum tape covering all the rough areas, black paint flaking off and a bent nail running through the clamp so that it stays put, let alone a hollowed out inside with a broken motor inside. :eek:

Some people would, I am one of them. I love the V2 but I'm an accuracy nut and because of that I will probably not see one that I am satisfied with. (Now I'm starting to sound like Serifino) :eek

My ideal v2 would be made from a metal casting based on a wooden master that was replicated from the original master. I want seam lines, I want flaking paint, I want kobbled together craptacular goodness.

Dan

halliwax, thd9791 and Aison like this.
  12. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I consider THIS the hero saber actually...since it was in most of the movie...the so called 'hero' was in one shot.

Here's mine...I'm pretty happy with it...
    I know it's a little too large, but most replicas of this saber (as well as the hero) are too big...

The blank was from a run a while back and I did the rest.

[​IMG]

13. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

Here's mine, again not exactly accurate but I'm always looking to upgrade..The story is it came from saberworks, or so I am told. It came unweathered and missing a thing here and there.

[image]http://www.hooverae.com/upload/pics/DSCF0009.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.hooverae.com/upload/pics/DSCF0011.jpg[/image]

wesgreen89 likes this.
  14. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

lesternessman, can I ask who was the maker of that saber? I notice it has an Obi ANH style emitter, very distinctive - its a great looking piece.

15. lesternessman

I was told it came from saberworks?. Not exactly sure 1. who that is, or 2. who told me that, but it was someone from the board. I'm sure they'll chime in if they see this. I bought if off ebay. I believe who ever it came from; that they were also responsible for making my obi apprentice and aayla secura sabers seen below.

[image]http://www.hooverae.com/upload/pics/obipadawan2.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.hooverae.com/upload/pics/ewan\'s.jpg[/image]

16. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

Here's mine (Excuse the crazy pic...It was a scan)

This was the result of a colaboration , myself and a couple of other members (Don't know if they want to chime in or not).

I spent a few weeks creating prints and scaling photos then the prints went over to the othe guys for revisions...Back and forth etc.
    This was the end product.

[​IMG]

DS

17. Howard

Howard Sr Member

My V2 should be with me soon...
    Machined from my blueprint with a respectful nod to Darth Saber.

I'll post pics when it's here.

Howard.

18. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's mine from a previous run:
    http://www.kurtyboy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/i...uke_rotj_v2.htm

I since upgraded the control box rod.

19. pmrjulio

pmrjulio New Member

This one is mine, semi weathered:
    [​IMG]

20. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

DS, that is a great looking bit of kit.

Some really fantastic V2's so far in this thread - it's interesting to note the differences between them too.

pmrjulio, is your saber a Luke / Ben shared stunt version?

21. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Clean, and staying that way ;)

[​IMG]
    More Pics

Dave

darthcue likes this.
  22. ScaryGuy

ScaryGuy New Member

I love your pristine V2 lgtsbr. I'm getting a blank V2 from someone at the Rebelscum forums, and I think I'm going for the pristine look too.

23. damon5973

damon5973 Well-Known Member

I really need to get in on one of these.....maybe next year someone will do a run????

bueller???? bueller?????

24. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just out of curiosity, if you were wanting your V2 to be pristine (AFB), wouldn't the vane, neck, & emitter, need to be painted (mostly) black? I say this since the screen-used version was always shown with most of the black paint worn off - - - if that makes any sense. /not knocking your V2, it's a beaut.

I have a V2 blank that I purchased from jd pilot a long time ago. I will eventually paint it & weather it. I've been working on other projects trying to improve my weathering skills before I tackle it.

jons3657 likes this.
  25. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

See, I looked at it the other way - the neck and emitter were actually "dirty", not missing paint - kind of a burt from use sort of thing, the way the BD Maul saber was - does that make sense? I don't take discussion as knocking anything, I like to hear the different opinions :)

Thanks for the compliments guys, I really love this saber and it looks awesome displayed next to my Hero saber

Dave

26. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool. I have to admit I don't know much about the ROTJ sabers (my least favourite OT sabers... maybe that'll change... don't hit me guys)... great thread.

A question - I've seen Luke ROTJ sabers with assymmetrical "grenades" - that is, the "discs" on the top part before the emitter have different dimensions -some thinner, some thicker... hope I'm making any sense here...

So, what's that all about? V.1 or V.2 or something else?

27. aniskywalker

aniskywalker Active Member

O.K. people. For those who have finished a V.2 , could you please tell me what kind of screw is behind the knurled knob. :p

28. lesternessman

I think its called a fillister screw?

29. aniskywalker

Does anybody know what size was used on the V.2? I need to get some for my saber projects. B)

30. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have only frame grabs in my collection. :unsure

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

31. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

I just realized I've never taken any pics of mine, so here's a couple quick-n-dirty snaps until I get time to take some proper ones.

It's probably not too terribly accurate, but at least for now it'll do. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought this from a board member a few years ago. I *think* it's a Yodashouse blank, but I'm not sure. I pretty much stripped it down and rebuilt it from scratch. I'll probably still re-do the weathering one day when I get the chance.

32. aniskywalker

Looks good to me. :)

I have noticed that some people put 'Fillister' screws on there V.2's and others do not. Is there any reason for this?

33. aniskywalker

Thanks for posting those pics. :p

Some of them I did not have. :confused I do now. :D

34. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

I don't have one because I've never gotten around to buying one and putting it on. I've convinced the detail is there, I just haven't done anything about it. By the time I'd drilled holes for the conduit and cone knob I'd had plenty enough drilling into aluminum for that day... :)

35. aniskywalker

I have seen others that do not have it either. The Parts of SW site shows the V.2 with it, so I was just wondering if maybe there were other pics that do not show it. :)

36. lesternessman

So far, there has been some really nice sabers posted here. I wasn't aware some board memebers had them since this is not the first thread of this sort. Thanks for posting the pics everyone.

37. aniskywalker

I just picked up a V.2 saber blank the other day from an interest thread at RS that has now been completed. There may be another order in a few months, because of the continued interest for the V.2. ;)

38. TheRealMcFly

TheRealMcFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The V2 shares the same dimensions at the shared stunt, with the exception of the nipple emitter. I have yet to see a blank reflect this. Does anyone have the photo of Alec holding the V2 from ANH?

I've got some half finished blueprints of it if anyone here wanted to do a run of blanks. What would really help is if one of the board members with a cast of the shared stunt/V2 form the original molds would let us know the exact length.

39. lesternessman

here's one I spotted over at dewback that looks pretty good for being a hardware...[​IMG]

40. Havoc

Havoc Active Member

wow, thats a fantastic example of what a little time and imagination can create

41. ozwepaie

ozwepaie New Member

Here's mine, this is what lgsbr's looks like weathered.

42. SaberFreak

SaberFreak Sr Member

Hi all, I'm the one who did the V2 run over at the RS forum that produced aniskywalker's blanks and will be sending out ScaryGuy's blank soon.

Must officially thank Howard for sharing his blueprint, which I got through Jedi_Dogs of RS.

Was recently at the Art of Star Wars exhibition in Singapore and took a close up pic of the ridged area of Luke's ROTJ Hero saber just to see the uneven ridge thickness. Not easy to take a clear shot of the whole saber because its in an acrylic tube inside another bigger acrylic casing, and the light come from below.

I know this is nothing new to members here but just thought I'd share this.

[​IMG]

43. aniskywalker

Hi there SaberFreak. Great picture. If you have some more, Pleeeeeaaaaaasssse post them. :D

44. SaberFreak

SaberFreak Sr Member

I have loads of pics, but only a few of sabers because like I mentioned the way they displayed them make it very difficult to take pics, especially with no use of flash allowed.

Also where do I post the link to the pics? I certainly can't do it here as it'll be considered OT, and I can't yet access the OT section...

Here's a pic of the pommel of the Luke ROTJ Hero...

[​IMG]

The emitter is just a black blob due to lack of light so I won't bother posting it...

45. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Links to pics of props being OT? Get outta here.

Prop pics are as on-topic as it gets. Post away.

46. SaberFreak

SaberFreak Sr Member

In that case here they are then...

Art of Star Wars Props.

WARNING. MASSIVE PICS.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  47. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Egad. What a show. :eek

I love the ANH concept models particularly. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- k

48. lesternessman

I've made a couple modifications to mine since I last posted on page 1. You can see that post for a couple comparison shots. Anyways, This week's project was to add the nib on the emitter and to add a filister screw to the pommel. It's a hex bolt about the same width as the stem, sawed down and drilled through the middle. A washer placed on top of that to seal off what was left of the old obi style emitter. I added some paint back to the "gear" area only to scratch some more off. Couldn't locate the correct screw, so I chose one I thought would look just as good. Sooner of later I'll be squaring off the pommel as it should be, as well as some altering of the grips-varying widths and whatnot. I love my dremel.

[image]http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/9480/lu113na.th.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/794/dscf00053nn.th.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4766/lu129jd.th.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/5800/lu105dr.th.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/6318/luke77mk.th.jpg[/image]

49. lesternessman

does anyone know whether or not there was a second hole drilled into the side of the emitter nib, like as on the hero version? Or how about in the middle of the pommel? Anyone care to speculate?

50. Riv

Riv Well-Known Member

I'm (hopefully) getting a machined V2 in the near future, and as such, I've been trying to plan what to do with it in terms of final assembly

So I have a couple of questions:

- Most folks appear to have aligned the control box with the D ring. Is that the commonly accepted position?

- Most of these appear to be using the circuit board for the control box cover from the Luke ESB, rather than the Luke ROTJ hero. It's not clear in any of the screencaps, but I assumed the latter was more accurate?

- Any suggestions for someone looking to get or if needed, make the Luke ROTJ hero control box cover for use with a graflex clamp?