Luke ANH Lightsaber D-Ring

And once again, the one reference pic we have unfortunately:

Episode_4_LukesToePic.jpg

Hi there,

For comparison reasons here's mine from the same angle :

D-Ring04-1.jpg

Also I've been catching up on some reading in very old threads since this has been discussed back in 2002
but here was something new even I wasn't aware of which starts at post # 298 by James Kenobi 1138:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/re-inventing-lukes-anh-lightsaber-vaders-too-143/index12.html

and also read Darth Saber's reply in post # 312 through to Lonepigeon's reply in post #314 here :

http://www.therpf.com/f9/re-inventing-lukes-anh-lightsaber-vaders-too-143/index13.html

So one end of the clip was attached to the graflex bottom with a rivet/fastener and then the other end
bend over the D-ring to hide the rivet???

Has this been established as a screen-accurate fact lately? :confused

Suppose this is true then I was very close with my design being made from steel and both ends of the clip
are rather stiff as James Kenobi 1138 suggested however too bad that I had a hole pre-drilled through both
ends of the clip leaving me only with one option to attach it to the graflex.

And about the measurements of the D-ring from a now lost picture done by gavidoc in post #344 here :

http://www.therpf.com/f9/re-inventing-lukes-anh-lightsaber-vaders-too-143/index14.html

BTW teecrooz you were online back in 2002 do you know of any definitive sizes of the clip and D-ring?

BTW here's the original rare postcard of that Toe-Pic :

44123rarepostcard.jpg

(Courtesy Lucasfilm Ltd. found in the 2002 thread posted by jediscout post #16)

It's a shame that most of the posted pictures of the 2002 thread have been erased from the archive during
Star Wars Episode VII : The Great Purge :cry

-Chaim

Last edited:
So one end of the clip was attached to the graflex bottom with a rivet/fastener and then the other end
bend over the D-ring to hide the rivet???

Has this been established as a screen-accurate fact lately? :confused

I think you 're misreading the posts.
I'm not even sure what I'm saying there (it was 9 years ago), but I think I meant the fastener was hidden from sight in the photos, not actually covered by the bent metal - how would that hold a D-ring in place?
I think the conversation probably made more sense with pics.

Personally, after looking at the various D-Rings, at that angle, I doubt you would see the screw over the bump of the bend in the strap. Basically what you are seeing is the bump of the bend and the far end round of the strap.

I can't believe there isn't a SINGLE photo of the underside of the ANH saber. How crazy, huh?!

Well Chris,

This is what James Kenobi 1138 suggested and I quote : "I'm wondering if they took a rectangular piece of metal, attached it to the bottom of the saber with a screw/rivet, added the d-ring, and bent the metal over the d-ring to 'hide' the 'earthly' screw/rivet, thus no screw/rivet is visible."

I think my steel D-ring could be firmly attached by just one end ot the clip onto the bottom of the graflex, however my metal clip is so thin I think the loose end would begin to taper upwards a bit like a vintage fedora hat and that would become visible should I photograph my graflex like the Toe-Pic. If you use a bit thicker steel clip like the 3/4" D-rings that I just received from thegreatgalling (thanks by the way) the loose end won't taper upwards and probably won't be visible in the Toe-Pic with the rivet snuggly fit inbetween.
Again I don't claim this to be the definitive screen accurate position of the clip!!! :wacko

And I agree Chris without pictures to illustrate, it seems a bit pointless what we're discussing here so back in 2002 James also mentioned this :

"Also, photos, both pre-production and post production, are fine. But in a few years, when ANH comes out on DVD, and we can get reallty good screen caps, thats where the proof is . . . "

We've had Star Wars ANH DVD's for a long time now and all six Star Wars episodes on Blueray are just around the corner, so shouldn't we be able to grab exquisite screen caps of Luke's ANH lightsaber nowadays?

By the way thegreatgalling did you see gavidoc's post with the size being :

Bracket: .764" +/- .015" (same as 20.013mm +/- .381mm)
D-Ring: 1.074" +/ .025" (same as 27.28 +/- .635mm)
and :
"Well, I finally acutally measured the D-rings that I used for those sabres, lol and behold, they aren't 3/4" D-rings. They are .84" ID (21.35mm) stainless d-rings. What is the OD of the d-rings I use? 1.0735" or 27.27mm."

Pretty close to my design, hmm ? :)

-Chaim

Either way you look at it that screw or rivet is not visible in the Toe Pic because the picture was taken on angle and the hinge of the clip is blocking the view. It is only because the hinge on the clip is in the way.

Although the measurements are too small such as the inside width on that stainless steel D-ring. Plus it looks more oval in shape and not as big and round as the Nickel-plated ones.

would give good results just by grinding the strap on the bottom.
If you send me a set I can try and post pictures.
The toe pic makes me think about a custom made aluminium strap,like luke's belt buckle.

Hi all, I am at the stage where this is all I need, an accurate D ring for my ANH Graflex build. I referenced some promotinal pics of Mark Hamill in ANH costume and they had some good D ring shots, but I then realised he is actually holding the ESB lightsaber. However there is one of him standing front on, and you can clearly see the D ring shape and that it is the ANH Lightsaber. I took the image into PS and scaled the D ring to the Exactra bubble strip. What I got was 3 bubbles high .787" 2cm and 4 bubbles across 1" 2.54 cm. This basically fits with strapworks 1" D ring dimensions. This scaling is the total of edge to edge of the D ring. I gather all you need to get is the right curvature.
Mark-Hamills-Screen-Worn-Pants-in-Star-Wars-Movie-as-Luke-Skywalker-2.jpg

Hi Aison,

Hopefully I can also contribute something to this (old) thread and to your search for the proper D-ring.
I am also looking for the best possible D-ring lately and I have been discussing this also with Sym-Cha the other week.
Today I did some reverse engineering on the famous 'toe-pic' of the Luke's ANH lightsaber:
IMG_0471.JPG
I created a realistic 3D model of the Graflex and matched the perspective with the image in Rhino. I then checked and scaled the D-ring until it fitted the image as good as possible.
rhino-screen.jpg
reverse-engineering-01.jpg
reverse-engineering-02.jpg
My estimation is the following dimensions of the D-ring:
D-ring.jpg

So, it is somewehere in between a 3/4" and 1" size D-ring, with an inner diameter of 22mm.
I have found one like this before on a German website: D-Ring mit Clip

But I was wondering about something else: why is the clip of the D-ring looking so white on the picture!
It looks like something other then metal is covering the clip. Maybe painted? Or maybe a custom attachment was created to fix the D-ring? Maybe this is what Chaim mentioned about what James Kenobi 1138 was referring to. Also: no standard D-ring with clip seem to have such a wide clip attached. They are normally smaller than the 19mm.

Good luck in your search!

Roy

Wow nice comparison pix ... as for the measurements in that last picture ... the thickness of the D is more like 2,5 then 3 mm ;) . . . everything else is resembling my custom made design ...

... so I'm happy!

Why does it look so white ... I have no idea ... could be the lighting and the reflection of the studio floor ... or perhaps that clip has been sanded ... who knows? And having one of your found D-rings in hand it looks pretty accurate to me, when it comes to the more rounded shape/ curvature ;) All you need now is a clip with the correct dimensions.

Chaim

Last edited:
Maybe it's going in circles! Looking at the image posted above from Strapworks, it seems that the 3/4" D-ring is extremely close to the original.

Some inch/mm conversion of the 3/4" D-ring with clip:
A = 27.9 mm (outer diameter)
B = 37.6 mm
C = 21.6 mm (inner diameter)
D = 14.0 mm
E = 13.7 mm
Wire: 3.3 mm (is it really this thickness?)
Hole: 6.4 mm

To me, it seems that wire thickness of 2.5mm is too small. I tried this as an overlay over the picture, but that didn't fit: it is thicker.

The width of the clip (or strap or clamp) should be around 19mm indeed. The strap from WBC Industries used by TheGreatGalling is indeed almost perfect!

stainless20steel20d20rings20with20clip.jpg

One more thing: I don't believe that the white on the clip is a reflection: a cylindrical metal shape will still reflect the Graflex itself and give darker shadow even when sanded.Maybe they put some tape over it or something.

Roy

My wire on my design was 2,5 mm and is nice ... perhaps 0.5 mm won't even be worth to investigate further since I'm more concerned on the shape of the D which is more round then what is usually fabricated however from 2.5 mmm to 3.3 seems quite a lot though. As for the white on the clip you are trying to scrutinize you do have to consider that the Toe picture is an enlargement already from this one :

which I think is an enlargement of an even bigger photograph with a full size Mark Hamill ... and also you have to account for grain in the original print since it was a non digital picture in the first place . . . and then there's the matter of the speed in which these props had to be build and send to the set and how much would actually be seen on screen hence the fact that until DVD and Blueray they got away with a lot of inaccuracy and continuity by switching hilts between a stunt version and a hero version . . . so for the propmakers there was no reason to tape everything ... that's why you can see the name G R A F L E X on the clamp ;)

Here's another close up picture turned sideways when Luke is wearing his lightsaber for a promo shoot :

Chaim

Thanks for the additional images!
I hadn't seen those.

I understand what you said about the details, speed of prop-making, grain and screen resolutions.
But looking at your additional images, you can clearly see a different type of material for the D-ring strap/clip.
Maybe a piece of lead? Maybe it wasn't even metal, but a piece of leather? Anything they could find available to attach the D-ring with I assume. Maybe they took the D-ring from some lady's purse! :D

Roy

Well ... K I S S = Keep It Simple Stupid is my motto when it comes to props and propmaking ... so imho you're are looking way to much into that strap ... your eyes may even be deceiving you ;) . . . anyhow yes it's not the same as the D-ring hence I think a piece of any kind of thin metal alloy could have been used . . . your guess is as good as mine or anybody elses until someone actually has more clear pictures of the original lightsaber in the Lucasfilm Ltd. Archives ... that is if it's even there? :unsure

Chaim

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back