Luke ANH Lightsaber D-Ring

Lichtbringer was joking, Tarkin.

If it were that easy to get prop details, we would know exactly what is made of what and wouldn't still be finding out new things about props (for example, those side panels on Han in Carbonite. Rebelscum recently discovered were Volvo dashboard panels, something people have been wondering about for years upon years. If we could've just given some people a call to find that out, then it'd be known well before now).

Yeah I agree. It is very hard to contact movie art directors, prop masters and like via e-mail or in any fashion. Of course, no big deal I know he was joking. We should start a poll of how many people have the D-ring attached with a screw or with a rivet! LOL Anyhow thanks guys! :)

Ok, so I am new to the whole lightsaber world, but it has certainly been fun learning and beginning to obsess about all the little details. I figured I would contribute in the arena known as the “D-Ring.”

First, I should mention that lightsaber dabbling has led me to forge two new friendships here on the RPF, so Chaim and Patrice, thank you!

A special thanks goes to Clutch for his advice and help as well.

parfaitelumiere posted a site recently that sold D-Rings of various shapes and sizes here:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-first-graflex-saber-105401/#post1514388

The site he found was Seattle Fabrics and can be accessed here;

Metal Hardware for Outdoor Use

We were not sure which sizes to order, whether the 1” or ¾”, since it depended on whether they measured from inside or outside the D-Ring. Since they were so inexpensive, I figured it was just easier to order a few of each and simply report back. Turns out my leg work might cost you an extra dollar or so, because they came back unlabeled. DOH. However, I am pretty confident I was able to identify them.

Note, I did not receive one of the items I ordered as listed below.

I ordered the following:

1. ¾” Heavy Mounted D-Ring (which came with the metal strap).
2. 1” Stainless Welded D-ring
3. ¾” Stainless Welded D-ring
4. ¾” Metal Nickel Plated Steel Split D-Ring
5. 3/4” Heavy Welded Nickel Plated Steel D-Ring
6. 1” Heavy Welded Nickel Plated Steel D-Ring (WAS NOT IN THE SHIPMENT FOR SOME REASON)

Here is a photo of what arrived (they correspond in order of above and below, the first two are the mounted d-ring with and without the strap):

photo-8.jpg

Interestingly, although I either ordered 1” or ¾”, no two D-Rings were the same size.

Here is the breakdown (welded means the D-Ring is welded closed, split means you can pry it apart with great force)

1. The ¾” Heavy Mounted D-Ring (the one that comes with the strap).

Inside width: 18mm
Inside height: 14mm
Thickness: 2.5mm

2. 1” Stainless welded

Inside width: Almost 3 cm (approx. 30mm, approx. 1 inch)
Inside height: 21 mm
Thickness: 3mm

3. 3/4” stainless welded
Inside width: 21mm
Inside height: 16mm
Thickness: about 2.5mm

4. The ¾” Nickel –Split
Inside width: 23mm
Inside height: 17.5mm
Thickness: About 2.5mm

5. ¾” Nickel welded
Inside width: 23mm
Inside height: 18mm
Thickness: 2.5mm

So when I removed the smaller D-Ring from the strap, and replaced it with the two D-Rings that were closest to accurate, here is how it looked:

Here is the ¾” Nickel split on the bottom of a Graflex

2-19.jpg

Here is the ¾” Nickel welded:

1-16.jpg

Ultimately, I am not so sure the strap that they offer is the best option, although I am happy about the 3/4" D-Rings themselves. The metal strap is 17mm wide and 21 mm long, and because it is a tad skinny, the D-Ring shakes from side to side a bit. It also is a bit longer than others I have seen, particularly Chaim’s terrific D-Ring that I missed out on unfortunately.

If I wasn’t clear, feel free to ask questions.

Last edited:
I am confused as to whether measurement "E" measures the entire length of the strap, or stops when it reaches that hump like the line indicates.

.54 inches = 13.716mm
.67 inches= 17.018

Note: I kept everything in metric so we could more easily compare with Chaim's.

I would be very happy to combine one of the 3/4" D-Rings from Seattle Fabrics and combine it with a better metal strap!

Last edited:
Cn you give the dimensions of the strap?
Looked larger on the website photo.
Seems it's not exactly as it was on their photos.
Seems it's 16mm large,instead of something like 19.
I think you can reduce the round part on the bottom to let it go closer to graflex shape.
And fianlly,I think you can shorten the D ring where it's silded in the middle,and then close the created space ,to change the shape a little bit.
But for me the pics are not the same as the one on their website.
More "D" shaped than on the website.
The round bottom of the strap,with hole is rouder,and looks not as large as on the original photo.
It's not too bad,especially for a 40c stuff,but tis not yed the good one.

the one you call nickel split is the "low cost version"?
It may be the best,when cut in the middle about 2mm and space closed.

yes,they are very close.
The strap of Sym was 19mm,largest point was 23mm and height was 18 if I remeber correctly.

110.png

210.png

the result would be less space between ring and strap.
Please look at the bottom of strap too.

1-1611.jpg

Last edited:
Hi thegreatgalling,

Nice work, mate. Patrice is right though that D on their website for stainless steel looks more round like mine.
But their ¾” Heavy Mounted D-Ring (which came with the metal strap) is perfect to go with an Obi-Wan ANH
lightsaber size wise :love so you may ship that one without the strap to me if you please :)

If I had to choose from your line-up for an ANH D-ring I would choose the 4th D from the left does that confirm
with 4. ¾” Metal Nickel Plated Steel Split D-Ring :confused

My D-ring is : 24 mm at the widest point in the circle, 19mm starting from the clip where the D is attached to
the inner inside of the D and the Clip is 19mm wide and 18mm tall.

D-Ring01.jpg

@Patrice PLEASE DELETE THOSE DIAGRAMS WHICH ARE TOTALLY INACCURATE TO MY D-RING DESIGN!!!

That strap is CRAP :lol

Sorry I don't have any left for you guys. Use my tutorial to recreate your own from a thin sheet of metal.
Mine is much more thinner than any D-Ring Clip manufactured by machines. So the height of the clip about
1mm sits nicely within the thickness of the outer edge of the graflex!

Here's a picture I just shot in profile from my D-ring+Clip on my vintage graflex :

D-Ring.jpg

And yes I know, I haven't attached any sort of grips nor did I add one of my Exactra 20's bubbles ... yet!

-Chaim

Last edited:
FYI guys, no specific ring/strap has been identified as the correct one. I just wanted to point this out as Chaim's is his interpretation. I'm sure the curvature to match the graflex diameter is not accurate as we have yet to see a found item that does so.

Thought I would add that I think his d-ring and mount are the best stylized versions I've seen. I'm not trying to detract from what he has created.

Hey teecrooz,

I too LOVE Chaim's D-ring and it's completely beautiful! But I completely agree with you. Your right, the actual D-ring on the original prop used in the movie was a found part it was not custom-made therefore not custom fit to the bottom of the Graflex. This is why I do not want that sort of clip myself. Yes the D-ring (meaning the actual ring) is certainly the circular rounded D shape such as Chaim's as well as Tandyleather which is the one I have. However, the clip that Chaim designed at least the bottom of it to fit the circumference of the Graflex perfectly is something he wanted for his D-ring. But I know what your were saying, if your going for 100% screen accuracy than you probably are not going to want that perfect fit.

Hi guys,

You are correct I never made the claim for my D-ring+clip to be screen accurate.
However it was also based on these pictures in this thread :

http://www.therpf.com/f9/found-luke-anh-1970s-d-ring-71378/

D-Ring02.jpg

But most manufactured D-rings and thus found items by the propmakers are
probably more round in curvature just like the Tandy leather strap however
not quite the width I used on my clip and as seen in above picture . . . . . .

-Chaim

Last edited:
I really don't think the D-Rings I showed appear that far off from Chaim's curvature. The problem is how skinny the strap is and the fact that it reveals too much of the flat part at the bottom of the ring (making it appear less round).

I really am now looking for a wider and shorter "found" metal strap. Not so much as to copy Chaim's, which is beautiful, but because its clear from the "shoe" shot of the production lightsaber that the metal strap was as wide as the flat part at the bottom of the D-Ring.

Seen here:

http://www.partsofsw.com/skysab.htm

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back