Luke ANH Lightsaber D-Ring

Something like this, but it doesn't have to neatly fit the end of the Graflex lip like Chaim's.

New-3-2.jpg

Even the old EDC Studios D-ring clip (which is pictured the Parts of SW site) the curvature is a lot rounder along the bottom of the clip like Tandyleather's or even just like this Seattle Fabrics clip. The clip maybe more wider but the shape on the bottom is the same as all the others on the internet.

Hi Tarkin,

You should imagine 1976 D-rings not these modern version's made today. Also the propmakers of Bapty were nifty craftsman, so I believe making a custom D-Ring, like mine which was created within half-a-day or even less, would not have been an issue for them. Also these lightsabers had to be on set as soon as possible so there was no time to search for the best looking D-ring for hanging on a jedi's belt. Perhaps they may have had a box full of them, since D-rings were also used just hanging on belts or other costume parts :

LukeESB1_dockingbay101.jpg

I know this to be a Luke ESB costume and not ANH, just trying to illustrate my point of view.

-Chaim

Last edited:
Sure Chaim, I understand all that and it certainly it is not out of the realm of possibilities. However, most of these D-rings are all standard styles that have been around and made the same way for decades. These same clip styles and shapes we have today were all around at that time. They haven't really changed a whole lot. Plus, like the three other parts were found parts it is believed that even the D-ring was a found part as well. Also, as you stated they used D-rings for other props and they must have grabbed which ever D-rings and clips were around at that time and yes might have been in boxes in the prop department. So that to me just seems a lot more likely. Plus D-rings could also be purchased anywhere they sold picture hangers at that time. Another quick solution for the prop master at the time. Just food for thought but that is my take on it.

Last edited:
These are the only D-Rings that I came across about the same time I had
mine hand-made, which were offered on ebay some time ago in the UK,
that resembled the correct width of the clip as seen on the TOE-PIC and
roundish D and would be the ones you should be looking for in your quest for
screen-accuracy :

D-RingUK.jpg

Alas this particular seller was abandoned from ebay, still he was only
the middle-man, perhaps some members in the UK can track down the
manufacturer for us?

MTFBWY,

-Chaim

Last edited:
Tarkin just found this website :

P&H Metal Products Corp., D Rings

with this 3/4" D-Ring that I just mentioned :

D-Ring03.jpg

Congratulations looks like a winner to me :) Only give the clip a bit more matt finish by sanding and you'll have the one seen here:

Episode_4_LukesToePic.jpg

Also here's their Catalogue :

http://phmetal.com/files/P&H_Catalog.pdf

On page 2 you'll find on your right ... Part# 153 D Clip which looks like ... MINE!!! Not certain of actual size though, the clip looks like a tid bit too long, however has a very smooth curvature!

-Chaim

Last edited:
I think if they had choice with senevar D rings with strap,of course they choosed lik Sym-cha,because the curvature close to the graflex rim is very nice.
Seems there are two kind of straps:eek:ne with the round part with same center as the hole,other has a larger curvature,and center is near the straight line of the D ring,it's just a question of geometry,and conception,I think it's easier to draw a circle with a center on an existing line.
So ,oh course the pics don't show exactly the curvature of strap,but if I have to choose,I agree with Sym-Cha for design.

The first pic looks close to the Great galling D ring.
The second photo looks like a handmade strap,maybe from aluminium sheet?

Hi Patrice,

Well until Tarkin orders some of the D-rings and clips that he found online yesterday and posts pictures here, just as thegreatgalling did, we can't really compare them.

-Chaim

Hello everyone,

I wrote to P&H Metal asking for the price of the D-ring and how to order. Then today I went back to their website and clicked on their guidelines link and it seems they only take orders by phone no problems there. However, I read that there is a $50.00 minimum for orders. That is a big drawback $50.00 for a D-ring I did not expect to have that problem. Still searching though for another just like that somewhere else but I wanted to let you guys know what the status was so far about that awesome D-ring but looking to be expensive. I am open to suggestions. Thanks!

Hi Tarkin,

First we need to know if their D-ring is what we all are looking for, from thegreatgallings experience we've learned that what is in the picture not always lives up to our expectations when we have the actual product in hand.
Should you call them praise their D-ring and Catalogue Clip and explain that theirs is what Star Wars Fans the world over have been looking for in order to convert graflex flashguns into Luke's ANH lightsaber.
Perhaps then you can ask them to send 1 sample D-ring and loose Clip, for us to decide wether it is accurate enough and then proclaim an order of X D-rings worth $50.00 which you or I or some other member can start as an Interest (INT) thread in the Junkyard before you place that order with P&H.
Remember they are a business so you may have to use your jedi mind and some Force, like Qui-Gon did, in order to get what you need HA,HA,HA!

MTFBWY,

-Chaim

Last edited:
If good strap,I would be in.
A 50$ order can be easy to complete on the forum,even each ring is 2$ with "correct" strap,it will just need 20-30 customers...
Just see the strap before choosing,if only the D ring,I think the ones from seatle farbics are ok,with a custom made strap from aluminium or steel.

Ok, so Tarkin, Sym-Cha, parfaitelumiere, and I have communicated back and forth about this D-Ring for the past few weeks.

Here is where I am currently at.

To recap, I have three D-Rings with dimmensions I am happy with. They are:

1. 3/4” stainless welded
Inside width: 21mm
Inside height: 16mm
Thickness: about 2.5mm

2. 3/4" Nickel –Split
Inside width: 23mm
Inside height: 17.5mm
Thickness: About 2.5mm

3. 3/4" Nickel welded
Inside width: 23mm
Inside height: 18mm
Thickness: 2.5mm

So far, out of these three, I think the Nickel welded looks a bit more round.

Here is a shot of those three D-Rings in order again:

112.jpg

Now late last night, I finally got my D-Ring strap from WBC Industries.

Here is how it arrived and it next to the previous mounted D-Ring I recieved from Seattle Fabrics.

1123.jpg

The new one is on the right, and at least to me, it looks very accurate.

Now the measurements of this new strap is as follows:

*About* 18.5mm wide

21mm long

As a reminder, the first strap was

17mm wide and 21 mm long

And here is a picture of three of the new straps with each of the D-Rings posted above:

photouj.jpg

Here is a pic of that smaller one on my saber:

fgfg.jpg

Sure, will do that tonight.

The only thing that troubles me with the nickel plated D-rings is that there is about 2mm of wiggle room. The stainless steel ring, which is a tad smaller, had no such wiggling on the sides.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back