Re-inventing Lukes ANH Lightsaber- And Vaders too??!?!

well the spacing was not necisarily even on the anh saber, so while the gap might be larger in the chronicl pics than the "tow pic" you are looking at two different gaps, which most likely where uneven. the person who put the grips on this prop propbably did not measure the gaps to make it even.
also i woulnt compare your saber to the actual prop. blast-tech grips (or whatever you used) could very well me wider then the real ones, so the gaps might look the same in both pictures when one has an extra grip

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
darthwilliam87 wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
well the spacing was not necisarily even on the anh saber, so while teh gap might be larger in the chronicl pic than the "tow pic" you are looking at two different gaps, which most likely where uneven
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Yeah that is true, which is my point. THe 2 pictures posted by EDC cannot be the same saber if the grips are supposed to be lined up the same way for a 7 grip saber, exspecially considering if we assumed they were the same, on teh toe picture, we soo no grips on the far side, when the chronicles picture definately shows that there SHOULD be grips visble on the far side on the toe picture, because of the angle of teh saber.

So saying that the 2 pics are the same saber, and that they both together mean there are 7 grips, is not true, because tehre is no way they could both be the same saber.

Akanah,

you not taking the all of the factors into consideration here, you have to look at what we can glean as facts first, then proceed onto educated hypothesis' on grip placement.

FACT - all of the available pics of the ANH saber prove that a gap between two of the grips is centered on the control box.

FACT - referencing the above fact means only the headshell is rotated differently in different pics of the saber. The bottom tube an band are joined as one.

FACT- in more than one pic we can see the edge of the next grip over lines up with the far inside edge of the clamp holes.

FACT- if you take six grips and center a gap on the control box, the edge on the next grip over no longer lines up with the clamp hole as stated.

You use a pic of your ESB saber as a reference, but the fact is the bottom is rotated at the wrong angle compared to the clamp.

Fine.

I am getting the feeling that people who think that there are actually 6 badly spaced grips instead of 7 grips are going to get run over on this thread anyway, so I am going to get out of the path while I still can.

Maybe if we are all really lucky, Lucas will use a Graflex lightsaber in Episode 3, and give us a good shot of ALL the grips (like the wampa cave) so we can figure this thing out once and for all.

I'm done with this. And my saber will have 6 grips

*runs off*

OKay here is yet another pic counting out the grips.

I started from the grip to the left, #1, (when viewed from the back with the clamp at 12 o'clock) of the "control box"/clamp and counted from there, now look carefully at all of the pics. Make notice of the grips and where they are placed in relation to the clamp. Remember that we have multiple pics of a grip gap being directly centered on the control box. From these 3 views of the saber you can see it counts as seven, and that when referencing all of the pics, there are enough different POV angles that you can see that there are grips around the entire handle.

#4 is the key and what I feel most people are questioning since its obscured in the "toe" pic.

But its visible plain as day it the top photo, directly opposite the "control box"

gripcount.jpg

How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? - Sherlock Holmes

Akanah wrote:
Fine.

I am getting the feeling that people who think that there are actually 6 badly spaced grips instead of 7 grips are going to get run over on this thread anyway, so I am going to get out of the path while I still can.

Dude we are not trying to steamroll you here, many of us are now convince that there are seven grips, and are only in the pursuit of proving it.

Detection is, or ought to be, an exact science and should be treated in the same cold and unemotional manner. - Sherlock Holmes

Dont take it personally, no matter how harsh it may sound here, its just all part of proving the research, and most of all, in good fun
icon_wink.gif

I hate to admit that the ANH saber has 7 grips, but being part of the conversation on this thread and seeing so many points of view has really opened up this theory into fact.

My eyes played many tricks on me, even with 'proof' photos.

I wanted to believe that only the PRE-production saber, seen on most of the photos had 7 grips, while the screen used version had 6. But, I trust Chris from POSW (even though he was wrong about the d-ring and 6 grip thing for so long, but I'll forgive him) and he says the Chronicles pic is from POST-production, and with the photo of Mark in Tunsia with the same centered d-ring and not-all-the-way-closed lever pretty much makes me agree that it is the same Saber in all the photos, and with 7 grips.

The last EDC post with the 3 pics and the grip cound is what really put it into focus, although one pic is missing:
The 'hidden' grip from the 'toe' photo is clearly visible from the pic of the Saber on Marks belt from the SW VD, maybe someone can scan and post a pic of that, I will in a few days of no one else does. Since al the evidence shows the clamp and bottom tube as being attached, then that pic shows the 'bottom' of the Saber.

Much in the spirit of an idiotic Han Solo running after a group of troopers, I'm joining in this fray.

I've been looking closely at the picture which recently surfaced, the one in the middle of the EDC Studios montage above, and is it just me or does that photo look strange? I mean it looks as if the hilt were really like that sitting on the ground, it would be bent slightly toward the viewer. As if the photo's been doctored. Not by anyone recently, I mean before it ever made it to print....?

This speaks not one word to the grip or D-Ring controversy, I know. Still, as the grips are presently "numbered" there in red, one must take note of the fact that so-numbered grip number "6" is bending slightly on the ground, toward us, so that its apparent position is slightly misleading. It's "grip center" if you will, is slightly further back--it's rib-edge is not pointing parallel to the saber, if you get my meaning.

Thinking in this way, and because I am not entirely sure grip number "3" as numbered is actually grip number "3," I'm inclined to believe there are six grips, EVEN ON THAT SABER IN THE PICTURE.

Ok, somebody shoot me. I'm just saying what I see, and I've been scouring every archive I can think of for a better picture--I think set shots of Mark Hamill or the crew which are not stills from the movie are the best bets, but I've found no good saber pics.

Just ignore my post if you prefer--I've been reading and reading and you guys know more than I do.

E.D.C. Studios wrote:
OKay here is yet another pic counting out the grips.

I started from the grip to the left, #1, (when viewed from the back with the clamp at 12 o'clock) of the "control box"/clamp and counted from there, now look carefully at all of the pics. Make notice of the grips and where they are placed in relation to the clamp. Remember that we have multiple pics of a grip gap being directly centered on the control box. From these 3 views of the saber you can see it counts as seven, and that when referencing all of the pics, there are enough different POV angles that you can see that there are grips around the entire handle.

#4 is the key and what I feel most people are questioning since its obscured in the "toe" pic.

But its visible plain as day it the top photo, directly opposite the "control box"

gripcount.jpg

At least now I can see 7 grips accounted for, but now I see something else that's strange.

In that top pic, the gap between 2 & 3 looks larger than any gapon the middle pic. So does that gap between 7 & 6 at the bottom.

Best part of all this will be Ep.3. If a greflex makes an appearance, how much do you wanna bet the prop makers refer back to either Icons or the Ranch saber? 6 or 7 grips will become a continuity problem across 3 films potentialy. The ANH saber in all the scenes in the film still looks more 6 grip to me...I don't know, you just see a lot of silver between the black.

Heres a landmark to prove that all of the pics above are the same saber...
In pic #1 of the numbered grip pics posted by EDC, Look at grip #1... Notice that there is more space between grip#1 and grip #2 on the the side nearest the D-ring than the side near the clamp...Basically its a slight angle (uneven grip)...

Next take a look at pic #2..You'll notice that there is less space between grip#1 and grip#7 on the side nearest the D-ring...Grip #1 is still at an angle...

Now take a look at pic#3...The same thing...grip#1 has less space between grip#7 on the side closest to the D-ring...

This shows that grip #1 is at the same crooked angle on every pic..This to me proves that this is the same saber..

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color> If a greflex makes an appearance, how much do you wanna bet the prop makers refer back to either Icons or the Ranch saber? 6 or 7 grips will become a continuity problem across 3 films potentialy. The ANH saber in all the scenes in the film still looks more 6 grip to me</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

If the saber does make an appearance in EPIII with 6 grips then that will be yet another version of this saber to add alongside the 7 gripped ANH version in my collection...

I have a feeling that if the Lukes ANH saber does make an appearance in EPIII it wont even be based on a GrRaflex...Probably completely machined to resemble a graflex.....

The same way ILM made Yodas saber in EPII..It was based on a Praco but ILM decided to machine their own version of a Praco...Kind of like a synthetic Praco...

DARTH SABER wrote:
The same way ILM made Yodas saber in EPII..It was based on a Praco but ILM decided to machine their own version of a Praco...Kind of like a synthetic Praco...

Um they never made a Yoda saber for EII...it was all CG. The design would have stayed the same, but they neede to make it longer to be more visible onscreen, and they dropped out some detail, like on the emitter, because it would have not been visible onscreen anyway.

tlrgsxr wrote:
Grip #5 is not visible in the 'foot' pic. The grip labeled #5 in the POSW might be grip #4.

That wouldn't be possible, again, look at the placement of the grips compared to other elements on the clamp...Grip #4 is directly opposite the control box, directly behind the d-ring. #5 is visible in the color pic plain as day, while #4 MUST still be behind the flash where the D-ring is. And we can see #4 in the top pic DIRECTLY opposite the box.

posting this for witterquick:
luke2.jpg

Looks like a gap between the grips, but light could also be striking the flat part of the grip, the glare on the top of the tube would mean that there should be glare on the bottom as well.

I would rule it as too blurry a pic to tell

Can someone mock up a quick little end view of how exactly it is supposed to look if you use 7 grips, either with the control box on the left (screen used version) and also the right? Just something to use to see how they're positioned........

Thanks.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back