LOTR - TTT Sam's Shire salt box

N2darkness

Sr Member
Hey guys, here is one of my first fully built props. Its Sam's Shire salt box from the Lord of the Rings extended edition of the Two Towers. Its made from solid oak, and had to hand make the latch out of aluminum as I couldn't find anything close on-line. Painted and weathered as well as some rock salt and a few other herbs.

Screen shots:
vlcsnap-2011-05-21-11h54m24s72.png

vlcsnap-2011-05-21-11h57m47s63.png

And my replica:

sb13.jpg

sb12.jpg

sb11-1.jpg

Cool prop and great workmanship in making it.:cool

From those pictures it looks like Elijah Wood must really have an appetite for his own fingernails...:eek

Thanks guys! but as obscure as I thought it was I just noticed an interest thread in the JY for another one, how weird is that?

Thanks guys! but as obscure as I thought it was I just noticed an interest thread in the JY for another one, how weird is that?

Ha! I just saw the same thread and thought the same thing...

Nothing new under the sun, I guess. :unsure

But still great work. :lol:thumbsup

Well executed and love 'real world' props that are fully functional. Just need to carry it around in your bag for a while to give added weathering and in case of extra seasoning requirements whilst out & about!

Looks a bit like road salt with crud mixed in. Maybe you could crush up some of the salt you have in there, get it kind of grimy (look at those fingers afterall) and a few bits of ground up dead leaves maybe?

Great job :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thanks guys! I'm still looking for more screen accurate salt. I think I'm going to have to find some type of flake salt.

As Maelstrom said, just grab the salt you have, put the grains in a piece of cloth, and thump it down to get smaller grains :)

Thanks for bumping!:) Beautiful job on this Stivie! :thumbsup I'm a woodworker and was trying to think of something small to do this spring, I am SOOO making one of these to take with me when I grill at the farmer's market in the summer!:cool

Great job!The weathering is top notch.

The only thing that bugs me is the phillips head screw. Replace it with a slotted one, and it'll be perfect! The phillips head was patented in the 1930s, while slotted screws have been around 500 years or so.

James

Great job!The weathering is top notch.

The only thing that bugs me is the phillips head screw. Replace it with a slotted one, and it'll be perfect! The phillips head was patented in the 1930s, while slotted screws have been around 500 years or so.

James

isn't that kind of irrelevant given that its based in middle earth :facepalm

Pobrett,

I don't think it's irrelevant at all. The Weta guys put an amazing amount of thought into all of their props, including many details that would never be seen on the screen. Each prop was designed and built so that they looked as if they really were from Middle Earth, and not just props. As if they were taken from a museum and used in the film.

I feel like I'm ranting... :)

The point is, Phillips head screws can only really be made using machine technology, something that did not exist in Middle Earth. I know it's a fantasy world, but it's the thought and little details in these props that really makes them stand out against other props and designs. Compare LOTR to, oh, say First Knight. that one was more like Space Precinct with horses!

God I sound silly, trying to justify why something is not appropriate in a fantasy setting...

James

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back