LOTR - TTT Sam's Shire salt box

Can we have some measurements? And if you can a pic of the bottom?'

many thanks and very good job

Here are some measurements. The top is made of oak 3/4 material and the sides and front/back are made of 1/2 material. I used a piece of 1/8 plywood for the bottom.

DSCN4636_zps13666d7b.jpg

DSCN4637_zpse8299876.jpg

DSCN4638_zps2e299d9c.jpg

Hope it helps and good luck with anyone else building one. I'd do a run, but it isn't the easiest thing to make.

You can go with sea salt. It's what I use in my salt shotgun rounds. Has an interesting shape and is less huge than rock salt.

Nifty box!

Chris

Just saw something on the woot off that reminded me of this thread.

There are sea salts that are flavored, and most of them have clear bottles. You'll find em in the high ended supermarkets or gourmet shops. Might be able to find one pretty close to what you are looking for.

Chris

Thanks for the heads up. I did end up finding some flake salt at a very high end gourmet shop as you mentioned, but it was $20. That was more than the cost of materials to build the whole box. I decided against it as how I have it displayed you don't much of it.

I would take a look at the metropolitan market once again it can be pricey salt but it has a lot of the color that you see in the movie prop. Also its delicious stuff so its worth actually using.

So many! Do you sell them? Also, what are the dimensions (hight, width, and lenght)? Thanks!

I have sold them in the past, but the time and effort I put into these are not worth the profit made on these. The latch is hand made, the hinges are modified, lid hand carved. I did a run of 20 or so a year ago and not looking to do more anytime soon sorry. Here is a few photos with sizes. My version 3 is slightly smaller.

DSCN4637_zpse8299876.jpg

DSCN4636_zps13666d7b.jpg

and some of the building process

2015-11-21%2016.56.52_zpscsfjn2gf.jpg

2015-11-21%2016.57.58_zps2npy9typ.jpg

2015-11-21%2016.58.09_zpsdddxm30h.jpg

2015-11-14%2013.53.24_zpsuv65wpgj.jpg

2015-11-14%2013.53.55_zpshfk5jojb.jpg

2015-11-21%2014.39.52_zpsg1iweojm.jpg

2015-11-29%2017.18.42_zpsaksvd2dq.jpg

I have sold them in the past, but the time and effort I put into these are not worth the profit made on these. The latch is hand made, the hinges are modified, lid hand carved. I did a run of 20 or so a year ago and not looking to do more anytime soon sorry. Here is a few photos with sizes. My version 3 is slightly smaller.

Thank you! Do you possibly have a drawing of the pattern on the top, or could you maybe post a photo/scan of the top design straight on? I'm trying to make my own and was hoping maybe you have a pattern, or a picture I could make a pattern from. Also are those 1/2 inch boards that it's made from? Thanks.

This thread is stunning! I've got an old oak board in the shed that'll be perfect for this. And some brass sheet. And you can never have too many projects on the go at once!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back