lost boys MARKO jacket replica!

bdude93

hey all,
this jacket from the lost boys has been on agenda for a while, and alex winter (marko) is gonna be here at motorcity comic con this year, so i figured i'd get my ass in gear to have it ready to show!!!
15d6_3_zps925eb013.jpg

1704_12-1_zps6017eab7.jpg

it took me a minute to realize that the fuzzy images covering most of the jacket were old tapestries. a random ebay search of the two easily identifiable ones (the cheetah and matador) proved pretty readily available. but the one on the left arm and shoulder were HARD to identify. i guessed that the colored spots may be a peacocks tail, AND IT WAS!!!! and luckily ALL 3 of them happened to be for sale at the same time on ebay.
tapestries_zpsb845ba6c.jpg

the ones pictured are the actual ones purchased by me! got a good old faded black/grey denim jacket. i tore the jacket cuffs and waistband off.

one thing that kinda bugs me is the SLIGHT color difference in the tail end of the cheetah tapestry. mine have more orange colors where it should be green in the background, but the only other one available with correct color had the cat facing the opposite direction...

my old AMAZING talented roommate painted the two ladies for the front and back of the jacket!

original
lostboys_jacket_4_zpsbf3cb658.jpg

mine
IMG743_zpsee3e5746.jpg

phone kinda desaturated the color...
imagejpeg_0_zps40f43330.jpg

imagejpeg_0_2_zps83f8d23e.jpg

IMAG0663_zps08b81e34.jpg

IMAG0666_zps96a606f0.jpg

like the progress, but still looks naked with out all the patches. which MOST of them are being custom made. the one next to the matador is really the only one readily available.

the second panel. (front right)
IMG_0971_zps4335109e.jpg

IMG751_zpsbc16c234.jpg

this is the current status. got some good fraying going on some parts of the tapestries too!

That's coming along really nicely. I thought the current owner of the jacket is a member here on the RPF :thumbsup

edit- I of course mean the screen-used original :)

Last edited:
Awesome job, finding those patches must have been a pain. One of my favorite jackets from any movie, and I've never seen a replica until now.

That's coming along really nicely. I thought the current owner of the jacket is a member here on the RPF :thumbsup

edit- I of course mean the screen-used original :)

THANKS! yeah he is. i've actually reached out to him to help with some of the lesser visible areas of the jackets, but to no reply.

can't wait to get the first set of custom patches in, should be sometime this coming week

Awesome job, finding those patches must have been a pain. One of my favorite jackets from any movie, and I've never seen a replica until now.

the BIGGEST pain was trying to ID the peacock tapestry. i've seen only one replica. not on here, but in doing a google search for images of the jacket...
this one...
6257539374_8d9cd793ef_b_zps544b0062.jpg

4054642194_e52866b33d_b_zps537d373f.jpg

it's too bright and clean for me. i'll give him credit for attempting such a crazy jacket. but he's only got 2 of the 3 tapestries. most of the patches are just painted, not embroidered. color of the base jacket... don't even get me started. idk... maybe i'm too nit picky, lol.

thanks though, glad you like it

greatest prop ever. love this, lol
its awesome to see how much research and thought youre putting into this.

tumblr_ldjhi3rt8F1qb64fro1_500.gif

maggots michael, youre eating maggots.

That is coming along great! One of my favorite movie jackets, and I still listen to the soundtrack!

Is the cheetah tapestry double sided? I found an identical design online, except that it's reversed.
nope, it's not double sided. they just have both available, looking left and right. the one i found looking the WRONG way had the correct colors. mine's orange in some places that SHOULD be green. but hey... it's either that or a cheetah facing the wrong way ;)

Good to know. Looking at the close up pictures of the original, the women appear to be tapestry too - so now I'm scouring the internet trying to ID them. I don't expect to have any luck.

Huh...so I have this picture of Marko's jacket, and the Matador on the front of the chest is different.

Wondering if one is the hero jacket, and if one is the stunt one.

It also matches up with the Matador in the cast pictures.

Though the placement of the 13 Skull patch is different. I know movies and TV shows always have multiples. Maybe there were at least 3 Marko jackets made. The hero one, one for the stunt guy, and one for the staking, which the one with the slit obviously is.

Last edited:
Huh...so I have this picture of Marko's jacket, and the Matador on the front of the chest is different.

Wondering if one is the hero jacket, and if one is the stunt one.

It also matches up with the Matador in the cast pictures.

Though the placement of the 13 Skull patch is different. I know movies and TV shows always have multiples. Maybe there were at least 3 Marko jackets made. The hero one, one for the stunt guy, and one for the staking, which the one with the slit obviously is.

i read somewhere that four were made for the film. and each varies slightly. as for the matador tapastry (and even the peacock, i've noticed) if you can find them on ebay, there will be subtle differences in the colors, placement of the matadors, etc. MOST of the pics i have look to be the same jacket, so i try to just base off of that one. you could go crazy trying to piece together which jacket is in what picture and which one to follow, lol.

any 'Warriors' fans here might recognize the warbird on the back of the jacket!!! my original idea was to just get a warriors vest patch for this but they run WAY too large for this application. they run about 12" tall, whereas this is only 8.5". so i got some scrap denim, (you can see in the close up pics that the warbird is done directly on denim) and just painted it on. frayed the edges and overdyed it with some RIT powder to bring down the brightness in the white.

opb-layout-lost-boys-marko-jacket-x800_zps2d810afd.jpg

here, you can tell the color variation in the tail end of the cheetah tapestry. original has greens, whereas mine has more orange.
IMG771_zpsd7685a66.jpg

these dangling flaps on the lower right look like they need to be moved to the left a few inches more...
IMG772_zps9b332f52.jpg

i honestly have NO IDEA what's going on under the left arm of this jacket...
19ca_12_zpsc9640e2b.jpg

so i just overdyed some scrap canvas and and cut the edges off some leftover tapestry pieces and stitched them to the ends of the canvas and butted the two pieces together...
IMG776_zps852f23db.jpg

look alright...?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back