Looper Blunderbuss - Pics of Painted Slushcast Kit on pg. 18

Re: Rian Johnson's "Looper"...I LOVE these props!

Wow. I didn't even know this movie was coming. Just watched the trailer.

I might actually have to go see this one in the theater. :)

I saw a rough cut of the movie in Nov. 2011.
Looking forward to seeing it again in Sept!

The long weapon is a "blunderbuss" (at least that's how they refer to it) that Looper's use for the kills.

There is another character , not shown in the trailer, Kid Blue (Brick's Noah Segan) who also carries a large revolver. I believe it is a Casul but I can't rightly remember.

Hope this helps.

Here are some stills from the trailer that might help with some of the main props.

looper1_by_paperpropsfan-d4wf69v.png

looper_2_by_paperpropsfan-d4wf6dr.png

looper5_by_paperpropsfan-d4wf6pi.png

looper_7_by_paperpropsfan-d4wf6wc.png

looper_3_by_paperpropsfan-d4wf6h9.png

looper6_by_paperpropsfan-d4wf6su.png

looper_4_by_paperpropsfan-d4wf6m8.png

Last edited:

I too would love one of those grey jackets as in the first screenshots, nice cut and very clean looking.
Anyone making them?

Browsing eBay UK for an unrelated prop search involving pocket watches, I stumbled across this interesting watch, which instantly reminded me of the unusual dial of Joe's vintage timepiece:

ebay3i.jpg

After a little searching, I started to narrow my field to watches from Turkey, specifically the Ottoman Empire... which led me to this:

510327724o.jpg

The hands are different, and the flower design near the shaft for the hands isn't the same, but the overall elements are pretty close, and the case looks fairly similar.

The closer match is dated to around 1870, and is listed for just shy of $700.

The solution to finding an affordable, accurate timepiece, would be to find a close enough case from a cheaper model, and simply replace the dial graphics with a digital recreation, complete with screen-accurate weathering.

Aw man, that watch is a beaut...but at $700, it's too rich for my blood right now.

As for the blazer, I suspect it's an off the rack item, seeing as all the other props from the movie seem to be found objects (the blunderbuss notwithstanding, but it IS cobbled together from existing arms). That being said, I do a search on clothing companies whose pieces have very distinct looking red buttons on them.

OK, so between staring at the photo of JGL with the pistol & "blunderbus" on the porch and the power of Twitter, the pistol he's carrying is a Magnum Research .45/70 revolver.

Another character, Kid Blue, carries one as well, though nickel-plated and modified for a "western" look.

September can't come soon enough to see it again.

You're welcome.

Sweet! Thanks, Nick! BTW, there's also a great album of SDCC "Looper" pics in the RPF album. Anyone got an eye for identifying parts, please chime in. It doesn't look like it'll be too hard to scratchbuild, but if there's an easier way to do this, I'm more than game.

-Jonaas

The RPF album's caption says the main body is a Yankee Hill Machine Co Rifle Length Smooth Forearm Part# YHM-5005. After scrutinizing the pics, I totally agree.

Okay, so we've got a starting point. At this point, I'm going with the rail, trigger-guard cannibalized off an old air-soft, trigger made of heat-formed round styrene, a hand-carved wood grip mounted to a lenght of aluminum pipe (which I'll mount the rail onto), carved-wood slide and perhaps some sort of modified PVC coupler for the muzzle. Gentlemen, start your engines!

Last edited:

Now what is that muzzle?

I was digging through the Yankee Hill website and found this. Perhaps the muzzle is a modified version of this piece (cut down to size, rail removed, gap in muzzle filled?). I'll try and find a shot of this mini forearm with the rails removed so we can try to match the front profile of the shotgun.

I would be surprised to see any other part beside the main body being a found part. The company who built these guns VERY VERY rarely use found parts. Could be wrong, but most likely, they would just need to be machined.

I would be surprised to see any other part beside the main body being a found part. The company who built these guns VERY VERY rarely use found parts. Could be wrong, but most likely, they would just need to be machined.

SPILL IT, ANDREWS.
:lol

Okay, I think I'm onto something...

YHM-9808A.jpg

This is Yankee Hill's Mini Length Forearm. Yankee Hill is the manufacturer of the rifle-length forearm we all seem to agree is the base for the blunderbuss.

muzzle.jpg

Here's some quick and dirty MSPaint work of how that mini forearm would look if the the top and bottom rails were removed, an inch and a half or so were cut off from the front and grooves were machined on the rear. My theory all hinges on how the mini forearm looks when all four of its' rails are removed, but so far, this looks to be promising start on the muzzle.

So I've got a plan. Check out the muzzle shot from the first page of this thread...you can distinctly see that the "barrel" of the gun is actually some type of aluminum pipe. My guess is the base of the blunderbuss is simply the rifle-length forearm and the mini-length forearm mounted onto the pipe. The stock of the gun is probably hand carved and jammed into the back end of the pipe. The rear base of the gun (where the stock meets the receiver) is tough to ID. Thoughts?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back