Looper Blunderbuss - Pics of Painted Slushcast Kit on pg. 18

Re: Looper Blunderbuss - WIP pics begin on Page 3

Very cool; so it's going be screen-used! :D

If I get it done in time, it is. I did a lot of work on it last night, but again...it was all invisible work. Hopefully, I'll finish up the rear endcap tonight and get started on the slide.

I...am...tired.

-Jonaas

Massively impressive build, you should be really proud of this one.
Great to see someone who's gone to the lengths you have to recreate a genuinely iconic science fiction weapon

Massively impressive build, you should be really proud of this one.
Great to see someone who's gone to the lengths you have to recreate a genuinely iconic science fiction weapon

Thank you, sir! It's certainly been a fun build so far...but it looks like we're nearing the end.

So before me and the wife take our son to Disneyland for the first time (It's his one-month birthday!) I wanted to put up a quick pic update so you can see where I'm at so far.

100_0694.jpg

All 6 of the mounting holes have been drilled into the YHM-5005, aluminum tubing, and grip plug...I was able to pull it off with my power drill and a steady hand. After twisting a few cap screws into the gun to lock everything in place, I was happy to see how solid the gun felt. Since these holes weren't tapped, the front two screws are pretty much friction fit so I'll probably have to slap some nuts on the inside to make it a bit more secure; the rear screws were twisted directly into the grip plug, so it's nice and tight.

100_0704.jpg

Similarly, the slot for the slide was made by drilling a series of holes along the bottom of the YHM-5005, Dremeling the it semi-straight, and then rasping and sanding it smooth and flush. I've already designed the slide and pump-action, so I hope to get started on it by tonight.

100_0717.jpg

Making the trigger was, and continues to be, a PITA. After failing to bend the aluminum rod into proper shape, I had the resort to cutting it into sections and JB Welding it into a single piece.

100_0722.jpg

After carving a small mounting plug for the trigger out of wood, I put it in place to see how it all looked. Pretty good, I'd say.

100_0723.jpg

However, LOOKING good and WORKING good are two different things. The trigger action I'd planned failed horribly: The mounting plug was too small for the recess I carved in the gripframe and the spring pushed out the trigger too far. When the trigger was pulled, the spring was squeeze out of the recess I'd cut to hold it in place. I had to revise my plan :cry

100_0727.jpg

Apoxie Sculpt to the rescue! First off, the mounting plug was beefed up to fit more snugly in the gripframe. I've further reshaped the plug to form a "catch" that stops the trigger from being pushed down too far by the spring. The spring has be shortened a bit to reduce the pressure on the trigger. I've filled in the recess for the spring so I can carve it out at a more suitable angle. Also, I need to form a sort of tab on the top of the trigger that the spring can sit on, keeping it in place.

So that's that's that. Last night's work focused on largely hidden mechanics, but tonight I have to work more on the gun's physical appearance, including finishing up the rear endcap and starting on the slide. More updates later.

Thanks for following, guys!

-Jonaas

Damn, this thing is looking fantastic!! I love the little touches. Well done.

Way cool.
Slapping myself daily for not getting in on this sooner.
:facepalm:facepalm

This is looking absolutely incredible, setbacks and all. Thanks for documenting it so closely. Well done!

Way cool.
Slapping myself daily for not getting in on this sooner.
:facepalm:facepalm

Sorry, dude...but at the very least, you're on the Stand-By List!

This is looking absolutely incredible, setbacks and all. Thanks for documenting it so closely. Well done!

Thanks for the kind words! As for the mistakes, I have to put them in for two reasons: First, as word of warning to those who may attempt the same build and Second, to let everyone know why the gun's taking so long to finish :facepalm

Time for updates!

100_0753.jpg

The start of the slide was a 3/8" thick piece of basswood cut 3 1/2" by 1" (what I believe to be the slide's measurments).

100_0756.jpg

Two holes were drilled to fit the heads of a 1/4" hex bolt.

100_0759.jpg

Two sets of 1/4" hex bolts were trimmed down and threaded through the slide's body. Two 1/4" spacers were cut down and placed over the hex bolts. The spacers are there to ensure that the slide slides smoothly back and forth across the slot I cut in the night before.

100_0758.jpg

Just a test fit. Even though the slide hasn't been affixed to the gun with nuts and appropriate washers, pumping it back and forth feels very satisfying. The slide is far from finished: This is only the BASE of the slide. I still have to construct the top silver portion, which will be a combination of more basswood and Apoxie Sculpt. The top portion will be affixed to the base with a 4 small cap nuts, as in the actual prop. This is to ensure that the slide can be mounted to the gun and still function while still looking like the source material.

But while we're on the subject of mounting, I already know that mounting the slide will be a PITA involving very long pliers and a flashlight.

100_0769.jpg

No, I haven't forgotten about these fellas. Tomorrow, the rear endcap in particular will be targeted for completion.

100_0770.jpg

I also have to put in some work on the grips...in an attempt to give the smoothly sanded wood some texture, I sprayed on a coat of clear and then sprinkled on sawdust. Initially, I was very happy with the grit. That is, until I looked at my reference photos again...

100_0771.jpg

I went WAY too far with it...so I'll have to put in a hour clearing out much of the sawdust.

100_0763.jpg

The wrap-up profile shot. Here you can see the repair work I made on the grip plug, including filling in the old spring recess and fixing the cracked mounting point of the front of the triggerguard. More invisible work includes drilling the mounting holes into the front endcap all the way into the aluminum pipe...but I still haven't decided what screws to use.

So that's that for now. I'll tell you this: The clock is ticking. I have until Monday to get this puppy ready for picture, so it's go time.

But for now, it's sleep time.

Thanks for reading!

-Jonaas

Last edited:

Hot damn! I wish my blunderbuss looked that good!

Dude, I think your build came out great! And, not for nothing, I'm only making the gun: You and your costume are the whole packaged. I wouldn't be surprised to see you with a Miata in your driveway with a blood-drenched 5 year-old sitting shotgun :lol

Just taking a little break. I spent the last two hours remaking the base for my slide (yup, I effed up again). This time, I made it out of pine because it's stronger, reinforced the holes for the bolts with washers, slimmed it down a bit, and sanded in a concave surface on the top so it can slide across the round YHM-5005 easier.

I figure I'm going to put in about 8 more hours tonight, sleep for 6 hours, then drive to Palm Springs for my best friend's wedding rehearsal. I can almost see the finish line...

-Jonaas

Last edited:

Hi guys,

Jonaas, the amount of work you are putting into this is amazing! The updates you do are brilliant!

Well I did something the other week, I ordered a Yhm-5005 and I'm arrived yesterday! I didn't realise alot of things! A few of the lines in the film make a good point! Anything over 15 foot and you would struggle!

Can't wait to get my hands on your finished version!

This thing just keeps getting more and more impressive. You are doing some really amazing work, Jonaas. Thanks for sharing it with everybody.

Last edited:

Well I did something the other week, I ordered a Yhm-5005 and I'm arrived yesterday! I didn't realise alot of things! A few of the lines in the film make a good point! Anything over 15 foot and you would struggle!

Can't wait to get my hands on your finished version!

Thank you, sir! And good luck with your build! I'll tell you, if more people were into making their own guns, I would've offered solid resin parts.

Time for a quick pic update of this morning's work before I head off to Palm Springs:

100_0790.jpg

A shot of my new and improved slide base. It's more accurate, stronger, and slides more efficiently than the last.

100_0791.jpg

Shaved down to the correct height.

100_0795.jpg

I drilled the holes a bit too deep so I reinforced them with a couple washers and some JB Weld. Nice and strong.

100_0794.jpg

The start of the slide's grip: 3/8" basswood cut to size. I marked off the general positioning of the detailing so I could drill mounting holes into the slide's base, but these markings were just roughly drawn in for quick reference.

100_0805.jpg

I began building up the slide grip with Apoxie Sculpt, including a slight lip that hangs over the slide base on all four sides. The slide grip was designed so I could disassemble the slide for maintenance and molding, and the slide will be held together by four small cap nuts. Later today, I'll lay in more Apoxie Sculpt to build up the top of grip, work on the other parts as the clay cures, and then once it's all hard, I'll sand it to shape and sculpt/carve the top details, including the final mounting holes.

100_0803.jpg

I put in a TON of work on the rear endcap, and it's now 80% done. It was very refreshing to work with PVC and plastic again after nearly a week of wood and metal. First, I cut a slot in the third ring of the rear endcap to necessitate the latch that (I'm guessing) allows the hero to break open. Then, the second and third rings were super-glued together. The latch was cut it out of thin plastic that I salvaged from a discarded Duracell battery display. The pieces' edges were sanded smooth were super-glued into place. The sight was JB Welded onto the second ring...but it still needs minor detailing (teeny tiny screws on either side).

100_0806.jpg

I filled the inside of the two rings with a layer of Apoxie Sculpt so it could fit snugly over the aluminum tubing. In retrospect, I should've used the same technique in order to get the FRONT endcap to fit onto the tubing, but c'est la vie.

100_0808.jpg

I used a triangular file to scribe a line between the second and third ring so they wouldn't look simply glued together. I also carved in detailing on the bottom of the second ring to act as the square joint visible on the actual prop. Though my gun won't break-open, I wanted to make sure it would look as if it could. I also used Apoxie Sculpt to fill in the gaps between the sight and the second ring.

I still need to affix these two rings to the other half of the rear endcap, but all fabrication work on the rear endcap is DONE.

100_0800.jpg

And finally, here's a shot of my re-engineered trigger system. I totally carved off the old trigger mount and carved out a new one. On this one, I made sure to include a notch that would keep the trigger from falling too low. The gripframe was also considerably altered. I sanded out the recess a bit more so the trigger could have more pull. Later on, I recut the recess for the spring and affixed a little steel nub on the top of the trigger that the spring could catch on to (instead of flipping out the opening with a single trigger pull like last time). I also rough sculpted the grips' "plugs." They'll be cut down to to size and sanded smooth later.

So last night was essentially clean-up work for past mistakes, but the I feel I made huge strides. When I get back from my best friend's wedding rehearsal, I'll put in a few more hours of work before bedtime.

Thanks, everyone!

-Jonaas

Nice work Jonaas! I have a question. On the sale thread it says that the final version of the gun won't have pump action or trigger mobility, but on the updates it looks like it will. Is it going to have pump action and trigger mobility or is that just for the prototype?
And you are an amazing artist!

Nice work Jonaas! I have a question. On the sale thread it says that the final version of the gun won't have pump action or trigger mobility, but on the updates it looks like it will. Is it going to have pump action and trigger mobility or is that just for the prototype?
And you are an amazing artist!

I believe even though FBA's build has moving parts, this will just be a static cast in resin.

Sundowner's right. For the molding process, I'll remove the trigger and the slide and fill both of the gaps left with clay. The slide will be molded and cast separately, as will a "trigger plug"...essentially a small rectangular box with a false trigger on the bottom. If you're buying an unfinished kit, the slide and trigger plug will have to be affixed to the slushcast yourself and they won't function.

However, since I'll most likely be casting an exact copy of slide, it MAY be possible to alter your gun to have a functioning slide. I detailed how it could possibly be done on my Junkyard thread somewhere, but since we're at the slide stage of the build now, just follow my progress from here and you can figure something out.

As I've said earlier, my blunderbuss is going to be used in a Looper parody film. The producer has told me that the shoot date has been moved from this Monday to next Friday, so thankfully I have more time to get the gun finished and looking exactly the way I want it to. I'll be putting in a bit of work tonight, but I probably won't get any real work done on the gun until Sunday morning.

Thanks again!

-Jonaas

Can't wait to see it getting closer and closer to completion.:thumbsup

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back