Life Size 1:1 REAL METAL Machined General Greivous

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by xmart, Dec 8, 2005.

1. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

I have a project on my mind fellas. Lets design, draw, model each of the General Greivous parts to form a Life-Size and movie accurate model.

Than we can have it CNC machined out of real metal to form the * looking Life Size thing. Fully Metal on a base..just like the Sideshow 1:1 Endoskeleton.

Each month we can have a part done..Lets say April..left hand fingers..May..left hand base..design..draw..engineer..and have it machined..

Each month we can have a list of interest people..Lets say 60 people signed for the "left hand fingers" in April..say that it costs $60..so each month we can have a interest list for the upcoming part of the Greivous. So each month you can have your parts and start to assemble it month by month..

More interst means less price. You know CNC maching prices are proportional with the number of copies. - Or even we can have only 1 machined..and we can take resin casts out of it..

Possibilities are endless.

I believe that upcoming 1/4 sideshow Grevous and the ready DVD screen shots can help us a LOT. I mean there are huge possibilities since he is a CGC character..Imagine having a life size General Greivous in his metal glory shining in your room..Life Size :love

2. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Oh I just forgot that we have Clay from Applied Metal Technologies. Who was eager to help us on CNC machining and metaizing. :D

3. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Coolness.

[​IMG]

4. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think you'd be hard pressed to find 60 members here that have the kind of disposable cash to get this project off the ground, let alone all the way to completion. Then, add to this teh fact that he's a prequel character that has little emotional weight or visceral memories... it's not like you're talking about Artoo, one of the most beloved characters of Sci-fi for over 25 years. I doubtthere are even 60 Artoo replicas from this board, let alone all metal.

Not to burst your bubble.... it's a great concept on paper.

5. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

whoa. Do I hear ...PAPER PROP. :D

6. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Hey I know that emotional status..but can you imagine the people's reaction when they see this cool design..fully articulated..accurate..in all metal..life size 2,5 metres?

7. NEKROFANATIC

Which begs the question...Who here has a ceiling height of more then 2.5 metres... ;) Which, for those still using the old fashion imperial system works out to be approx 8' 2.5"...

8. moffeaton

Well in my case, they'd be saying "why did you sell your $200k home to fund this giant robot sculpture that you have so lovingly displayed under this overpass?"

:lol

It'd be amazingly impressive, but soooo outside the realm of financial reality.

For me, anyway.

:cry

9. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that we will be invited to Skywalker Ranch..if we get to complete this :D

Once you believe in something there is no way it cant be done.

10. moffeaton

I have 10 foot ceilings... which makes me realize - I think my Greivous fund is going to the gas and electric company this winter.

11. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Dude no one is in hurry to complete it at once (impossible.) I'm talking about starting with fingers and stuff.. month by month..:D

12. moffeaton

I COMPLETELY agree.

[​IMG]

I had an idea on your Greivous project - you should buy a milling machine/lathe. With a project that intense, you should invest in the the tools..

13. NEKROFANATIC

ok, month by month, eh? How long do you suppose this will take? I mean, if you figure the fingers of one hand take a month, this project is years in the making. At least a year to get it geared up and producing, and looking at greivious, another 3-5 years in part making...

14. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Oh also for the ceiling problem..I have a solution for that too.
    Since he will be crafted accurately piece by piece..he will be fully articulated.

Since he was walking like Hunchback of Notredame in the movie..you can position him that way ;)

15. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

While this would be a really cool, kick-* project, I can see at least one problem arising. Let's say that each month a part is machined based on the number of interested parties (i.e. 26 people interested, 26 parts machined). Now suppose you've been involved in this project for several months when all of a sudden, you run into financial troubles. Unfortunately, you can't participate for a few months and miss out on some parts. A few months later you come into a windfall and have some money again, so you rejoin the project. At the end you may have a grievous missing one finger, a knee, maybe an eye or an arm. Be kind of goofy looking at the point and beyond fixable unless you can convince someone else to sell you their parts.

-Fred

16. NEKROFANATIC

that is true, you could hunch 'im. This project would be uber cool to do, but I think the sheer size and logistics involved make this a prop dream...I do wish you the best in this venture tho'. I'd love to see one.

17. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

So where are the SW "know-everything" people?

Can these questions be answered?

1-How many pieces has he been formed of?

I remember a scene from Sideshow DVD where they were showing the parts laying on a table?

18. ImprisonedFett

ImprisonedFett New Member

I think this is a cool idea, however, I don't think it is exacly doable in a scale you are reffering to. If fingers for one hand in metal will be around $60, then how much will the wrist be? And then Grievous has 4 arms so take what one set of fingers will be at $60 fully articulated, and multiply by 4. Do this same thing with 4 wrists, 4 forearms, 4 elbows etc. I think this will be a bit more than some will want to spend. However if a handful do want to do this, which may happen, you will not get your costs down very far due to lack of interest. I think its a cool idea, but I don't know if it can be done.

19. iceman

iceman Well-Known Member

we just finished a large group project ( 1:1 Star Wars vehicle ) and there are some definate logistics to consider -

Who will own the project once it's finished ?
    How will you transport it ( obviously you'd like to show it at a con or two . )
    If it gets sold down the road, who keeps the $$ ?

Here is the info page on our recently finished project -

http://www.goldengategarrison.com/vehicles.php

Yes, it really runs, 32v ford 4.6 liter V8

The build process ( from newest to oldest ) -

http://www.goldengategarrison.com/gallery-...s/troop_carrier

Our next project is a 3/4 scale X-1 TIE fighter ( vader's TIE )

20. ImprisonedFett

I don't think he means to only build one with all of our money. I believe the though process is that everyone who wants in will own their own? This is what I thought it was.

21. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Transportation won't be a problem since you can break it down into many pieces.

If it gets sold ? Who talks about selling..and what? There won't be only 1..there will be as much as the people asks..we will be shipping parts each month to the subscribers of the interest thread..and the money will go to..manufacturer..machiner..and the person who helps to draw and design the pieces..

I want this project because it may end up cool..not because of the potential money making..

22. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Here I got some screen captures form the making of Greivous..
    He is complexed I know..but not as complexed as I expected :D

[​IMG]

23. iceman

iceman Well-Known Member

Sorry, I misread the intent of the project -

I do think it is a cool idea, and if you follow in the footsteps of the R2 builders club, and establish a master set of blueprints, that would definate get people interested.

24. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

25. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I wouldn't start from teh fingers. If this were to start, I'd start with the head. Everyone can pitch in and we can commision a sculpt of the head ad get that cast in resin. At least then if someone would want to stop ata certain point, they'd have somthgin to display and not jsut some fingers or a hand. Then you slowly do the torso, then move to the extremities.

26. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

:D
    I'll really consider this idea. Thanks

Oh also I just noticed that he is not full metal in the movie..Most of the coveralls are "bone colored" armor pieces..which do look like bones

So they should be overcome with a good professional sculpt..do I hear some"h.." :angel

27. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

You know.... not being able to a write proper sentence about how "complexed" he is does not inspire confidence that you could manage a complex project.

Regardless of how many captures you've got "form" the making of Grevious.

28. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Dude don't be a jack***..and stop being unkind to people who are trying to achieve something beautiful..

Go and become a grammar teacher rather than wasting your time with props..

29. Eaglewood

Eaglewood Sr Member

Clay Here,

I will be happy to assist in any way I can. I have lots of connections with various sources to help with what we are wanting to do here. I am on board....

CLay

30. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Here is my man. :D

31. NEKROFANATIC

Truly. That was uncalled for Micdavis. Not everyone has English as their first language and we'd all be so lucky to speak another language.

Lets pick shall we:

"You know.... not being able to a write proper sentence about how "complexed" he is does not inspire confidence that you could manage a complex project.

Regardless of how many captures you've got "form" the making of Grevious."

Your posting SHOULD read like this:

You know.... *N*ot being able to a write *a* proper sentence about how "complexed" he is does not inspire confidence that you could manage a complex project. Regardless of how many captures you've got "form" the making of Grevious."

32. irishjedi

irishjedi Well-Known Member

So after 11 years and ridiculous sums of money, I'll finally have my very own hunched over replica (that is likely missing a few pieces). Sweeet.

Just teasing - sorry :)

While I admire your spirit, the actual project would be a logisitical nightmare. Shipping costs, payment collection, people moving, dropping out, etc. I did runs of droid callers that were hard enough - this project has the potential to be the albatross of the RPF.

Good luck, though - try to get this done for at least yourself.

Todd

33. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

Gents

I can definately offer my services here when it comes to making structural frames, some joints and armoured plates.

I do a lot of cast aluminum but plenty of sheet steel work too.

Its a doable project. Kinda like my approach to the battle droid. It will largely be made of steel.

34. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

That's the spirit I want..as you can see on the title.. I want this to be a group project..not everyone has the same skills and everyone is a master on different side..Lets say you are the master of steel and frames, howard is the master of the sculpts, clay is a CNC machiner pro and so..

When we put together all of these talents, there is nothing that we can't overcome

35. ImprisonedFett

This does sound interesting and if we could first see how much it would likely cost overall first, and then start at the head working down, we would see where everyone stands. One thing though... If someone does miss out for a few weeks or for a part, will extra parts be available for them to purchase?

36. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

First we have to come up with numbers..prices and aprox. value of the whole project..than I can see if we will be able to come up with extras/replacements.

Firsty maybe we should ask ourselves..how much will this worth if everything shaped perfectly? I don't want to come up with something that will have later updated part versions..such as the v.03 chest plates..v0,2 fingers etc..

Everything must be done for once..and until it's believed to be completely perfectly accurate it shouldn't be offered to people

37. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

Very interesting idea. I think it is also good to do the head first, etc. I can't fully commit here now, but I like the idea.

38. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cough. Cough. Cough.

;)

39. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

If we ever get to do this project.. I promise each of you a sound board from Hyperdyne that includes Greivous coughs to complete the thing :D

40. fettpride

fettpride Well-Known Member

Why don't we just give it a few months for Sideshow to read about the interest and whip one up themselves ? I can see the price tag on that one :lol <JK>

XMART - In all seriousness though, it's an interesting idea. I've toyed around with the idea of making one myself someday. Fiberglass / cast pieces of course. Even the thought of that is intimidating in it's own right, what with the expense of silicone for soo many molds and all.

I'm sure there is at least one other artisan on this board that might be considering doing this as a life-size project in glass ... this could be a good or bad thing, depending on where your intentions may lay. If we're talking a not-for-profit group effort, then perhaps this could be more of a blessing. The joining of forces, so to speak.

The only other thing to consider from "MY" perspective, would be enough interest due to the fact that ROTS was a huge disappointment to many.

Still, if said project got off of the ground, I'd offer my assistance in the molding/casting respects of it all.

FP

41. qwa_raig

qwa_raig Active Member

Well it sounds awesome, I would love to see one in real life. I agree that he hasn't been around that long, but as a character, he is most impressive.

42. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

I'm writing all of these helps down buddy. It will be a non-profit project to keep the prices at minimum and make more people own their very own Greivous. It's something that I want to present as the masterpiece of these forums. I'm sure once completed we will get a lot of public attention too. 1/4 sideshow Greivous got many dropped jaws by itself..1:1 version should be something out this world :D

Also I don't think that ROTS was a dissapointment at all.

I also got confirmation from Official Site that model is not 2.50 metres..it's 2.16 meters tall (at full height)..so thats something good for all those who fear it won't fit inside house :p

43. Eaglewood

Eaglewood Sr Member

44. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

I really appreciate it Clay.

45. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I don't think I'd want an cyborg that coughs all the time and gets his * handed to him by a jedi with a blaster. :)

46. fettpride

fettpride Well-Known Member

I would expect nothing less my friend ... that's why I put it out there ;)

FP

47. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

*waves his hand* you know you want it :D
    You want a cyborg that coughs all the time.

48. CTF

CTF Sr Member

Yet everyone loves C3PO... :angel

Colour me interested.

And pay no attention to the folks trying to shoot this idea down.

49. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

I don't..

Thanks CTF. Follow the thread.

50. Ghadrack

Ghadrack Sr Member

Making no commitment here, but I like the idea, and I love the Greivous character.

You might considerusing multiple materials in your build. Strong cast resin "Armor" pieces for the white/bone outter bits and a metal frame skeleton for support and mobile, articulated joints. Speaking of joints, during your early planning stages you are going to have to give some serious condsideration to your joint, the points of articulation are going to be a major headache I suspect.

CG rendered "thin" robots are notorious for having unrealistic joint areas that rely upon magnificent technology that doesn't exist in terms of tensile strength and joint strength. Floppy arm syndrome, or geared sockets that require a wrench for positioning are the usual alternatives. If you are going to have spliting arms that have dozens of points of articulation each, expect some major design headaches.

Again, I love the idea, but there is an immense amount of planning to do to make this idea become real.

Keep dreaming, that's where the goodies come from.