Life Size 1:1 REAL METAL Machined General Greivous

xmart

I have a project on my mind fellas. Lets design, draw, model each of the General Greivous parts to form a Life-Size and movie accurate model.

Than we can have it CNC machined out of real metal to form the DAMN looking Life Size thing. Fully Metal on a base..just like the Sideshow 1:1 Endoskeleton.

Each month we can have a part done..Lets say April..left hand fingers..May..left hand base..design..draw..engineer..and have it machined..

Each month we can have a list of interest people..Lets say 60 people signed for the "left hand fingers" in April..say that it costs $60..so each month we can have a interest list for the upcoming part of the Greivous. So each month you can have your parts and start to assemble it month by month..

More interst means less price. You know CNC maching prices are proportional with the number of copies. - Or even we can have only 1 machined..and we can take resin casts out of it..

Possibilities are endless.

I believe that upcoming 1/4 sideshow Grevous and the ready DVD screen shots can help us a LOT. I mean there are huge possibilities since he is a CGC character..Imagine having a life size General Greivous in his metal glory shining in your room..Life Size :love

Oh I just forgot that we have Clay from Applied Metal Technologies. Who was eager to help us on CNC machining and metaizing. :D

Coolness.

7126_image03.jpg

I think you'd be hard pressed to find 60 members here that have the kind of disposable cash to get this project off the ground, let alone all the way to completion. Then, add to this teh fact that he's a prequel character that has little emotional weight or visceral memories... it's not like you're talking about Artoo, one of the most beloved characters of Sci-fi for over 25 years. I doubtthere are even 60 Artoo replicas from this board, let alone all metal.

Not to burst your bubble.... it's a great concept on paper.

Hey I know that emotional status..but can you imagine the people's reaction when they see this cool design..fully articulated..accurate..in all metal..life size 2,5 metres?

Which begs the question...Who here has a ceiling height of more then 2.5 metres... ;) Which, for those still using the old fashion imperial system works out to be approx 8' 2.5"...

Well in my case, they'd be saying "why did you sell your $200k home to fund this giant robot sculpture that you have so lovingly displayed under this overpass?"

:lol

It'd be amazingly impressive, but soooo outside the realm of financial reality.

For me, anyway.

:cry

I have no doubt that we will be invited to Skywalker Ranch..if we get to complete this :D

Once you believe in something there is no way it cant be done.

I have 10 foot ceilings... which makes me realize - I think my Greivous fund is going to the gas and electric company this winter.

Originally posted by NEKROFANATIC@Dec 8 2005, 01:36 PM
Which begs the question...Who here has a ceiling height of more then 2.5 metres... ;) Which, for those still using the old fashion imperial system works out to be approx 8' 2.5"...
[snapback]1131548[/snapback]​

Originally posted by moffeaton+Dec 8 2005, 06:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moffeaton @ Dec 8 2005, 06:38 PM)</div>
I have 10 foot ceilings... which makes me realize - I think my Greivous fund is going to the gas and electric company this winter.

<!--QuoteBegin-NEKROFANATIC
@Dec 8 2005, 01:36 PM
[snapback]1131548[/snapback]​
[snapback]1131551[/snapback]​
[/b]

Dude no one is in hurry to complete it at once (impossible.) I'm talking about starting with fingers and stuff.. month by month..:D

Originally posted by xmart@Dec 8 2005, 01:37 PM
I have no doubt that we will be invited to Skywalker Ranch..if we get to complete this :D

Once you believe in something there is no way it cant be done.
[snapback]1131550[/snapback]​

I COMPLETELY agree.

IMGP5004.jpg

I had an idea on your Greivous project - you should buy a milling machine/lathe. With a project that intense, you should invest in the the tools..

ok, month by month, eh? How long do you suppose this will take? I mean, if you figure the fingers of one hand take a month, this project is years in the making. At least a year to get it geared up and producing, and looking at greivious, another 3-5 years in part making...

Oh also for the ceiling problem..I have a solution for that too.
Since he will be crafted accurately piece by piece..he will be fully articulated.

Since he was walking like Hunchback of Notredame in the movie..you can position him that way ;)

While this would be a really cool, kick-ass project, I can see at least one problem arising. Let's say that each month a part is machined based on the number of interested parties (i.e. 26 people interested, 26 parts machined). Now suppose you've been involved in this project for several months when all of a sudden, you run into financial troubles. Unfortunately, you can't participate for a few months and miss out on some parts. A few months later you come into a windfall and have some money again, so you rejoin the project. At the end you may have a grievous missing one finger, a knee, maybe an eye or an arm. Be kind of goofy looking at the point and beyond fixable unless you can convince someone else to sell you their parts.

-Fred

that is true, you could hunch 'im. This project would be uber cool to do, but I think the sheer size and logistics involved make this a prop dream...I do wish you the best in this venture tho'. I'd love to see one.

So where are the SW "know-everything" people?

Can these questions be answered?

1-How many pieces has he been formed of?

I remember a scene from Sideshow DVD where they were showing the parts laying on a table?

I think this is a cool idea, however, I don't think it is exacly doable in a scale you are reffering to. If fingers for one hand in metal will be around $60, then how much will the wrist be? And then Grievous has 4 arms so take what one set of fingers will be at $60 fully articulated, and multiply by 4. Do this same thing with 4 wrists, 4 forearms, 4 elbows etc. I think this will be a bit more than some will want to spend. However if a handful do want to do this, which may happen, you will not get your costs down very far due to lack of interest. I think its a cool idea, but I don't know if it can be done.

we just finished a large group project ( 1:1 Star Wars vehicle ) and there are some definate logistics to consider -

Who will own the project once it's finished ?
How will you transport it ( obviously you'd like to show it at a con or two . )
If it gets sold down the road, who keeps the $$ ?

Here is the info page on our recently finished project -

http://www.goldengategarrison.com/vehicles.php

Yes, it really runs, 32v ford 4.6 liter V8

The build process ( from newest to oldest ) -

http://www.goldengategarrison.com/gallery-...s/troop_carrier

Our next project is a 3/4 scale X-1 TIE fighter ( vader's TIE )

I don't think he means to only build one with all of our money. I believe the though process is that everyone who wants in will own their own? This is what I thought it was.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back