Large scale Millennium Falcon Kit ID's**New Maps at start of thread**

I don't know either with the notion this kit wasn't around in the ANH era. I can't confirm for certain either way. The only thing I can think of was the B/W photos were taken quite a while after ANH, but before 'Empire'. The Karl part could have been added during this period & not being an 'original part. This would explain a few of the other missing parts that show up in these 'early' B/W photo's, such as one possibly from the 312b on the starboard side mandible wall.
IMO, the Falcon got pretty beat up in storage between ANH & Empire so new parts were added & somewhere during this period the B/W were taken.
Stu

My minicraft catalog from 1977 lists #728 Anzio Annie rail gun and #732 Thor (Morser) 60 cm rail mortar as being available .

The squadron mail order catalogue from spring 1976 (no. 10) lists only 728 Anzio Annie as being new from Haegawa. No mention is made of Thor.

From the above I would speculate that the Haseqawa Thor (Morser) was released sometime between summer 1976 to December 1977. Minicraft Models INC. was based out of Torreance, California and was importing some or all kits directly from Hasegawa.

I looked at that part in hand, Rod, and it's hard to argue against it. I had thought the Thor didn't get released until '78.

Thanks for the info, raiders. I guess it's possible, though I'm with Stu in thinking it had already been taken it out of storage to begin the Empire touch-ups.

Here's the best scan I have of the MPC cover (one of the chronologically oldest photos). There looks to be another missing mandible part near the tip I hadn't noticed before.

Craig

Last edited:
Hi there guys,
Cool Info Raider
Hi Stu!

Tsophika said:
Thanks for the info, raiders. I guess it's possible, though I'm with Stu in thinking it had already been taken it out of storage to begin the Empire touch-ups.

I absolutely agree with you Craig. When I noticed the color pics contained more parts that were missing on the B&W pics it was clear to me the color pics were from and earlier date.
The B&W pics might have been taken to be sent to Englad to build the life size Falcon for the Echo Base Set, that would be one way to explain the presence of Morser Karl kit part on the ship, but does someone know what year were the B&W pics taken?
But wouldn't it had been strange to replace that one part and leave all the other missing parts un-repeared? After all, it is not such an important detail.
And what about the front landing gear? Wouldn't it had been more logical to have done al the retouches at the same time?
Mysteries:lol

Last edited:
I confirmed these on the mandibles. :)
attachment.php

Which leaves us with this, unless I've missed anything:

Ooohhh, good find Craig, another kit for the list:rolleyes.

I haven't looked hard of late at the mandible walls, but yeah, we are just about there with finishing IDing the last parts. Thanks for putting those pics together.
Iv'e been trying to ID more parts on the belly undersurface & pits, found a few more & a few that are wrong in some of the maps. I'll put up some pics later.
Stu

Rod and Stu, this is from the Making of Star Wars. I don't see the Thor grill nor the part underneath the M10 on the opposite side. They're also painted a different color on the model as it stands today.

Why they were added before the forward landing gear housings were made.... we'll never know. :lol

Craig

Could be that the B/W pics were taken just before the Falcon was needed for 'Empire' & a few parts were added, such as the Karl part, to dress her up for filming once again. I suspect the B/Ws were taken as a record of her in her original 3 gear configuration before the extra gears were added.
Shame no dates are present on the pics.
Stu

In the SB mandible pic, 2 of the 3 boxed un-ID'd parts are from the 1/48 Bandai Mobelwagen. They're the tracks and the short stubby part near the bottom. Don't know what the rightmost unknown is.

I confirmed these on the mandibles. :)
attachment.php

Which leaves us with this, unless I've missed anything:

:)
attachment.php

Didn't know if this was known, but here it is:
attachment.php

And this one I overlooked many times until it finally hit me.
attachment.php

Last edited:
I found a solution for this wheel I've been looking for. Tamiya Hanomag has the right number of spokes, so I took the cut-down Hano wheel + styrene + Nichimo Tiger II and it makes a pretty close scratch. Parts are roughly placed at the moment.

EDIT: Found the kit!

Anyone know where this thing that looks like a differential housing comes from?

Craig

Last edited:
That wheel looks great Craig, nice quick solution.

I think that 'differential' part could actually be an ariel mount from an armor model though, I'll have to have a hunt through possible donors.
Stu

Hey chaps, well, my Italaerei M40-75/18 turned up, finally & I can confirm this kit has the correct gun parts for the upper turret (these parts now missing from original). The pics show the Italaerei on the sprue & the Tamiya 'Semovente' side by side.

Also as an added bonus, this kit contains the roughly 'barrel' shaped parts for the top turret as well. Yeeha!:lol.

Oh, complete scans of the kit are up in the kit scan thread.
Stu

Yeah, there's parts hiding all around the harder you look, alot of them, I have no idea.
I guess we're up to the stage with donors now, that we'll have to buy kits with just a hunch they may contain parts or not:lol. This was the case with Italaerei kit.
Stu

Great work Craig, thanks for plugging away at these. Stu, thank you so much for finding those pesky cylinder parts on the turret. They have been driving me nuts for ages! :)

Think some map updates are becoming due again, and a blueprint thread. I'm on it...

Nick

Great work Craig, thanks for plugging away at these. Stu, thank you so much for finding those pesky cylinder parts on the turret. They have been driving me nuts for ages! :)

Think some map updates are becoming due again, and a blueprint thread. I'm on it...

Nick

Nick, glad I found them, I know they were driving you mad mate:)

I'm positive the Panther assembly on the underside is Tamiya 1/35th Panther Ausf-A. Details match perfectly.

Also found this part from the Nichimo Tiger 2 for the inner mandible back wall.:)
Stu

In the SB mandible pic, 2 of the 3 boxed un-ID'd parts are from the 1/48 Bandai Mobelwagen. They're the tracks and the short stubby part near the bottom.
The rubber track looks good but I don't see the other one you speak of?

EDIT - on closer examination the track is not correct either. Close, though!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back