KING KONG (2005) Skull Island MAP!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by DARTH SABER, Jun 8, 2006.

1. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

Whew.
    After pulling some strings with some friends over at the studio I finally manged to get the hi-res scans of the front and back of the hero Skull Island map from the film.

Ill be using the scans to create a hand made replica.

Pics coming soon.

DS

2. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow — Congratulations. :D

-Mike

3. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey that's great. I know you were trying hard to get that. :)

- k

4. DARTH SABER

Thanks guys.

Here are a couple of pics of the map -

NOTE - Since this map was made available to me as a favor , I certainly don't want it ending up on Ebay . Ive had previous hand drawn maps of mine end up on Ebay without my permission and I don't want the same fate with the Skull Island map.
    As of right now Im going to post a low res/ watermarked image of the map .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DS

5. gobler

gobler Sr Member

OK if I give you my first born would there be a way to get a hi-rez of this??? I have wanted this map since I saw the preview..

6. Kris

Kris Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(gobler @ Jun 9 2006, 07:45 AM) [snapback]1258856[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto

:love

7. trooperprop

trooperprop Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kris @ Jun 9 2006, 06:24 AM) [snapback]1258860[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto

:love
    [/b][/quote]

tripple ditto :thumbsup :thumbsup
    Will you be offering one of your handdrawn maps?

Great find..

BasD

8. Kris

Kris Sr Member

At this rate, you are going to havea VERY big family. ;)

9. TK765

TK765 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have one of DS's 1933 maps and its sweet.

10. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

Atta boy, Pat.

11. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

why offer hand made ones when you can just offer prints of the screen used one?

12. rhboyd

rhboyd Well-Known Member

Oh man.... TOTALLY interested...

PM sent...
    -r.

13. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So what are the sketches on the back? What's all the text say?

And who did you have to blackmail to get it? :lol

-Mike

14. IronFist

IronFist Well-Known Member

So coincidental that this would be posted today. I just ripped KK last night and am watching it on my video iPod right now.

15. DARTH SABER

<div class='quotetop'>(TFrosst @ Jun 9 2006, 08:57 AM) [snapback]1258935[/snapback]</div>
    Well, a while back I created a Raiders of the Lost Ark CHachapoyan temple map and offered FREE hi res images on Adamata's site.
    The image had a disclaimer stating that the image was for FREE download and for PERSONAL display only and that it was copyrighted by me...A few months later I found someone who was printing copies and selling them on Ebay. Luckily I had most of the auctions Veroed.

If the original Skull Island scan ends up on Ebay I won't have much to justify "vero"-ng the auction (because its not my creation).
    So, what Im probably going to do (Still not certain yet) is create a handmade copy and add a couple of small "tells" or details on the map that only I know about.
    This way Ill be able to indentify it on Ebay as being one of mine, and will have more justification to remove it from Ebay.

DS

16. trooperprop

If the original Skull Island scan ends up on Ebay I won't have much to justify "vero"-ng the auction (because its not my creation).
    So, what Im probably going to do (Still not certain yet) is create a handmade copy and add a couple of small "tells" or details on the map that only I know about.
    This way Ill be able to indentify it on Ebay as being one of mine, and will have more justification to remove it from Ebay.

DS
    [/quote]

Well I am tankfull you are working on this. Would love to have one.
    Would it be a option to ad and remove some minor details from the Hi Res scan?
    Then a least you know if someone is selling your gift.

Either way I am glad something like this is coming :thumbsup :thumbsup

Greetings,

BasD

17. Walter

Walter Sr Member

I LOVE this prop, this map is a beautiful piece. You are one lucky SOB for getting these scans.

-Bryan

18. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(DARTH SABER @ Jun 9 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]1258987[/snapback]</div>
    Well, a while back I created a Raiders of the Lost Ark CHachapoyan temple map and offered FREE hi res images on Adamata's site.
    The image had a disclaimer stating that the image was for FREE download and for PERSONAL display only and that it was copyrighted by me...A few months later I found someone who was printing copies and selling them on Ebay. Luckily I had most of the auctions Veroed.

DS
    [/b][/quote]

I would go one better. Add a different detail marking to each individual map you sell. Keep a list of each person to which map. You would hope that no one would copy your work, but at least you'd know who it was that did it. Anyhow, nice score :thumbsup

19. gpghosts

gpghosts Well-Known Member

i want a HIGH REZ SCAN my brother would love that hes a big king kong fan

20. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

oh yeah. You know this would look awsome set behind one of the Kong armatures.. ;)

21. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A scan would be awesome, but I can completely understand your concern. What about offering the scan only to people who contact you ane request it, not just free to all. That way you could keep track of who had the scans and such...of course that would probably end up being a lot of people...probably a silly idea. :p

22. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Mmm...I too am in for a map....I would rather the original scan than a handmade one. I would think having a few red herrings in my map that aren't accurate would be annoying. Or is that just me?

I have been looking for quite some time for this through my limited contacts. I do hope you will offer hi-res scans of this as the Raider's map you made was one of my first paper props. It is still greatly enjoyed on my wall;)

Thanks again for your skill and talent and the willingness to share it bro:)

Regards
    TAZ

23. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, I would love one of those High Res ones...

24. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

I would also like to get a copy if you offer this. It would look great on my since the x took everything with her even the flppen nails that things hung on.

25. gpghosts

yeah im interested

26. Kris

Kris Sr Member

I just REALLY want one now .. :unsure such a tease ..

27. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

very nice .. i'd be in for one myself

dave

28. DARTH SABER

OK, after taking a couple of days to think about it, I believe Ive figured out a way to offer the map to the members here, without compromising the trust of the sources who gave it to me and also making it possible to identify ( should happen to illegally end up on EBay.)
    At first I was going to add some kind of "tell"/"Red herring" to the design to make it easily identifiable but I didn't want to add elements which didn't appear on the film, and yet at the same time I didn't want it to look exactly like the scan sent to me.
    Anyhow, I think I may have found a solution which would make the map different enough that I won't upset my sources but yet has every element seen on the screen used prop.

From watching the film it looks as though 3 maps were used.
    The first map ,which is the one I have, was used in the scenes where Denham shows the map to the movie producers, and the tight shot where Driscoll points out the skull shaped stain to Denham.
    The second version was used when Driscoll is looking at the map near the railing of the second deck of the ship.
    The last version was used when they show the map floating on the water.

Now, what Im thinking of doing is creating a "definitive" Skull Island map usning my map and the second version .All of the maps in the film were similar although they did have slight differences (Mainly the positiioning of the lettering) but the big difference between the first version and the second version was the design of the island.
    The island in the second version (which is shown in the film during a close up shot) shows the island looking very menacing with spikey coast line (you can see a good design of this island on the inside cover of the book, "A Natural History of Skull Island".) and island design in the first version has more of a rounded off shape.

So what Im going to do is to create one map using the elements from the two maps shown in the film. I will replace the island on my map with the island seen on the second version, I will positions lettering from my map to fit the positioning of the lettering on the second version, etc.
    The end result would be a map that is different than any one of the maps created for the film but yet still contains the accurate details seen in the film. Since this map would be unique it would be simple to identify on Ebay.

I will probably start on the map this week...Ill keep you guys posted.

DS

29. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

I would love a high res scan, a hand drawn one would be nice, but a scan would ofcoarse the better accuracy wise.

I understand your concern though.

Cheers,

Marc

P.S. i love you Indy map, still have to do a good print, but it will get a nice place in my collection.

30. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm perfectly happy to have the map that isn't a perfect replica of what you have. :) Not gonna look any gift horse in the mouth. ;)

31. Kris

Kris Sr Member

I can't wait to see it :)

I hope you will share high rez scans of your ideal map then :love

32. DARTH SABER

Here's what I have so far.

I took the certain sharp screencaps from the film (Version 2 map) and then filled in the certain sections of the map with my map (Version 1 map).

This is still low rez but will be sharpened up later. If you feel that this map is sharp enough for you to create your own map then feel free to use it but please do not print out copies to sell on ebay, Im only offering this for personal display.

[​IMG]

DS

33. houdiniguy

houdiniguy Sr Member

I would love one

34. decaturvader

decaturvader Sr Member

Wow, awesome prop to share.
    I'd love a high res scan as well.
    What would a fella do...some charcoal and watercolor paint to do the drawing/painting?

35. gpghosts

i would also love a high rez scan

36. trooperprop

[
    I will probably start on the map this week...Ill keep you guys posted.

DS
    [/quote]

Hello,
    That sounds like a great idea... Thank you for taking this efford
    :thumbsup :thumbsup

Greetings from the Netherlands,

BasD

37. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Very kind of you to do this DS.
    Looking forward to the final piece.

D6

38. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Yep...I am still interested mate. Brilliant job. Thanks for sharing:)

In Thanks
    Taz Vader

39. turok96

turok96 Well-Known Member

Count me in for a map as well. :)

40. trooperprop

Hello,

Any news on the map? Would love to display this. (or fold it up and
    walk around with it for a few days :p

Greetings from the Netherlands,

BasD

41. DARTH SABER

Sorry about the delay. I got swamped with freelance work last week and heven't had time to start the map.

Im planning on starting this weekend.

DS

42. osprey1111

osprey1111 New Member

Hi Darth Saber. I just found this thread and so far your map looks incredible.
    I'd like one too if and when they are available... Thanks for doing this. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :)

43. DARTH SABER

<div class='quotetop'>(osprey1111 @ Jun 22 2006, 05:19 PM) [snapback]1266126[/snapback]</div>

Don't worry, once Im done Ill either post or email a hi-res image of the map so anyone can print it out.

DS

44. osprey1111

osprey1111 New Member

Fantastic... Thanks sooooo much.

45. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Yay... For Saber... Thanks mate:)

Regards
    TAZ

46. Hauntmaster9

Hauntmaster9 New Member

Thanks for the scan.

47. houdiniguy

houdiniguy Sr Member

Hello,
    I would be forever grateful for the scan of skull island.

Thanks in advance.

You put the PRO in Prop. :angel

Tom :thumbsup

48. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Hey Saber...still interested in a scan too. Are you emailing yet or are you deciding to post? Thanks in advance:)

Reagrds
    TAZ

49. SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

that is so sweet, look to have it on my wall.

50. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

*BUMP* He he...always wanted to do that:)

Regards
    TAZ