Karloff/ Frankenstein/Sci-fi electric machine prop...

Awesome. I need to visit the board soon. That one is unbelievable. I have one of Doug's next to his Frankenstein (B&W paint). Definitely my favorite pieces in my collection. Just unbelievable work. Wow.

Doc

Eaviii,

Thank you for the nice words. I'm honored to have so many of my pieces in your collection. I can't wait to see your new home for everything. Talk to you later.......Douglas

this is just too cool!! awesome weathering!!:) we should have more of these vintage apparatus props here!!(y)thumbsup

I do have a few other projects in the same weathered vein as the ladders. I'll post some photos as I complete them. Some are Universal monster related and some are more of a generic mad scientist look to them.

Hello,

I've had several people asking to see the electrical Jacobs ladder machines I designed so I wanted to show them here. I'm a new member here and can't sell anything for 90 days but I can post a few photos of my work.

hildebeast@verizon.net

I had never seen anyone build a working Jacobs ladder in the Frankenstein or Sci-fi theme, if anyone has please post photos...I'd like to see them. Most ladders I've seen are two rods hooked up to a small transformer. I used 9000, 12,500 or 15,000 volt neon sign transformers in the ladders I build.

This first photo is mine in my home. It's got quite a few lights and working knobs on it. You can see the fire arc racing up the tube in this photo.

025.jpg

These photos below are a unit I recently finished. It took the better part of a month fabricatring most of the parts. It's roughly 3 feet tall and enrirely enclosed for safety reasons. It has three main switches on the face. One switch turns on the lights inside, one switch turns on the plasma sphere and the third switch turns on the arc. This was designed to look as though it was 85 years old and just came from Dr. Frankensteins own lab. Aside from it's unique look one of it's best features is the sound it makes. When turned on it makes that classic sizzle and crackle sound heard in the original Frankenstein film and many Sci-fi films over the years. Being entirely enclosed this unit is very safe when used with common sence caution. The glass bulbs on this are vintage from the 40's. The entire piece is aged, rusted and distressed. I wanted something different never before seen and this is what I designed.
038.jpg

I positioned small lights inside so they would illuminate all the bulbs and LED's on the unit. There is even a large vintage fuse towards the back of the unit. I placed handles on the sides and even two prop voltage meters on the face that light up.
039.jpg

040.jpg

042.jpg

This is probably my favorite piece I've designed. When people see one in person they usually just stare in amazement which for me is a very nice reaction. HILDEBEAST in Dallas...

Hi, not sure if this is how you send a reply as I am new as of Sept 2010! Compliments on your work, found you on google as I am doing a Frankenstein home show this year and notice you are in Texas too, almost a neighbor up in Dallas! I'm making some stuff too and specialize in what you might call museum replica items, usually trying to make things look 'new' instead of aged. Drop me a line if you get this or give a call. My home/office is a set for doing this stuff; haven't had time to load pics to this (one more!!!) site, but the facebook has a lot of mine. I will post again to everyone since I am looking for a number of things and I can see all of you will have great ideas.

Sincerely, Randel

Hi, not sure if this is how you send a reply as I am new as of Sept 2010! Compliments on your work, found you on google as I am doing a Frankenstein home show this year and notice you are in Texas too, almost a neighbor up in Dallas! I'm making some stuff too and specialize in what you might call museum replica items, usually trying to make things look 'new' instead of aged. Drop me a line if you get this or give a call. My home/office is a set for doing this stuff; haven't had time to load pics to this (one more!!!) site, but the facebook has a lot of mine. I will post again to everyone since I am looking for a number of things and I can see all of you will have great ideas.

Reposting in a different place, on the learning curve, I apologize for any nuisance.

Yours,
Randel

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back