The Time Machine (2002) - References and Proportions

Trying to work out the geometry of the framework under the main parts is a nightmare. Basically none of it is visible in photos beyond the outer most pieces under the batteries and in front of the boiler. Isaiah's blueprints might be correct in terms of what the pieces are and where, but the sizes are completely off, given that the battery box is way too big and the boiler is way too small on his blueprints, and this is designed to fit around both.

1694717174422.png

With such limited ref material its really hard to say.
From what i can make out I have a feeling the legs didn't actually work on their own and the pistons were static and weren't actually attached at the top end. So they may have just sat on top of the frame ring when deployed and then could be randomly slid up out of the way without needing to telescope in for shots when in the stowed position.

You can see in the pic below of the TM in storage that the front right leg is tied in the stowed position by a blue cord, with the piston sitting flat on the leg as though it is not attached anywhere on the other end (you can also see the missing footpad sitting on the deck at the back).
For convenience they may not have given it any definitive attachment point at the other end; which leaves it up for speculation as to how it may have been configured to really worked.

Screen Shot 2023-09-22 at 10.37.21 am.png

In this pic you can see the two pistons are sitting at different angles with the legs up in the stowed position: the left one resting on the centre column and the right one resting on the frame ring.
Screen Shot 2023-09-22 at 10.21.07 am.png

Then this one of the display at ComicCon is confusing because the piston looks like its just butted up against the frame ring with no fittings.
Screen Shot 2023-09-22 at 11.08.08 am.png

With such limited ref material its really hard to say.
From what i can make out I have a feeling the legs didn't actually work on their own and the pistons were static and weren't actually attached at the top end. So they may have just sat on top of the frame ring when deployed and then could be randomly slid up out of the way without needing to telescope in for shots when in the stowed position.

You can see in the pic below of the TM in storage that the front right leg is tied in the stowed position by a blue cord, with the piston sitting flat on the leg as though it is not attached anywhere on the other end (you can also see the missing footpad sitting on the deck at the back).
For convenience they may not have given it any definitive attachment point at the other end; which leaves it up for speculation as to how it may have been configured to really worked.

View attachment 1742082

In this pic you can see the two pistons are sitting at different angles with the legs up in the stowed position: the left one resting on the centre column and the right one resting on the frame ring.
View attachment 1742086

Then this one of the display at ComicCon is confusing because the piston looks like its just butted up against the frame ring with no fittings.
View attachment 1742089
The one butted up against the top might be because the bottom brass piece which connects to the leg is at a different position down each leg on each one. So that one doesn't quite each up to the top. It also makes sense for them to have overlooked that connection, because I've tried simulating the scene where the legs move up into the machine from the movie before, and the pistons HAVE to clip inside of the center piece to make that work.

Just please respect their privacy. I can safely say , no they will not hand over any material. Technically it belongs to the studios and many NDAs were signed.

Just please respect their privacy. I can safely say , no they will not hand over any material. Technically it belongs to the studios and many NDAs were signed.
I second this. I have messaged Tim in the past and he doesn't seem like he likes people randomly messaging him about stuff like this. And Oliver has some really good resources on his portfolio but he's moved on to much bigger projects since this movie that would mean contacting him without an agent would be very difficult.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back