Announcement Junkyard Changes - ALL PLEASE READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Mark Forum Read" is how I use the forum. Read (or not) the threads in bold, hit the button. Will the Junkyard get such a feature? Without even post/modify dates being displayed, I don't know how far I need to dig each time...

"Mark Forum Read" is how I use the forum. Read (or not) the threads in bold, hit the button. Will the Junkyard get such a feature? Without even post/modify dates being displayed, I don't know how far I need to dig each time...

The solution will be slightly different, but we will have a way to show read from unread threads in the next revisions which should be done in about two weeks.

Again, that is because the majority of your posts are in the Classifieds area.

Ok, but if a thread hasn't been deleted, and my count hasn't changed, back to my original question, do classified msgs not count? Sorry, if I'm missing something

And if they don't count in the classified, can I ask why?

Ok, but if a thread hasn't been deleted, and my count hasn't changed, back to my original question, do classified msgs not count? Sorry, if I'm missing something

I think you might have misunderstood @Montgar 's earlier statement. Because we know that Classified threads will not stay around, the posts made in them NEVER count towards your post count. It isn't that they count and then when we remove the thread they go back down. They simply never count to begin with.

Hey guys, can I ask why posts in the "Classifieds" don't count towards your posts counter?

Since we prune those forums, threads get deleted and post counts would drop accordingly, leading to a lot of confusion.

And if they don't count in the classified, can I ask why?
Your original question was why don't the posts count, my answer was the reason why we don't count them. It would lead to confusion over why post counts where dropping. Here is an example...

A member has 90 posts so they become a full member (access to the OT forum and if they become Premium, they can sell in the Project Runs forum). 85 of their 90 posts are in the Classifieds forums. As a result of pruning, their post count has now dropped to 5. So now members are asking why certain members have access to the OT forum but only have 5 posts or why does someone who has only contributed 5 posts to the heart of the forum (our reason for existing), able to do Project Runs while a member that has contributed 85 posts is not? It just becomes a mess. That also answers why OT posts don't count toward the total either. An OT thread is more likely to get deleted/pruned and again it's not at the core of what we are about.

The RPF is all about sharing/helping/collaborating and being creative. I know that many members feel that they can't contribute, but there are so many ways to do exactly that. By sharing a simple idea, or even just a picture of how you have items displayed, can inspire others... get them thinking. That is what this community is all about.
@rgriesbeck... I hope that I have answered your question and then some. :)

Not to jump on the bandwagon about the new Junkyard. I like the idea of having the thumbnails and some basic info right there without having to go into the post to get it. But without a search functionality, I find it to be completely unusable.

As a bit of a side note, I don't think separating forums into all of these sub forums is helpful. I may be wrong but I suspect that it actually reduces the visibility of a post a great deal.

I love this site and this isn't going to stop me from using it. But I think some of the recent changes are making it a much more difficult user experience and seem like changes just for change sake.

I am trying to post and it keeps telling me my image size is too big. But its fairly small... Known problem?

Not to jump on the bandwagon about the new Junkyard. I like the idea of having the thumbnails and some basic info right there without having to go into the post to get it. But without a search functionality, I find it to be completely unusable.

We are addressing this right now and as soon as the next revision is out, the search function will be back. In the meantime, you CAN still search the junkyard by going to advanced search and choosing just the Junkyard to search.

I love this site and this isn't going to stop me from using it. But I think some of the recent changes are making it a much more difficult user experience and seem like changes just for change sake.

There are certainly some growing pains any time you make a big change like this, but in the long run we really hope the changes make for a BETTER user experience. If not, the change was not worth doing.

Thanks for the response. I look forward to the return of search.

One more thought I had. It would be nice to be able to choose to display more items on a single page in the new Junkyard. It's a pain to go through so many pages. I'd love to be able to just load them all or at least a lot more per page.

About my other point. I think things may have been divided up into way too many subcategories. There are like 7 different costume boards now and 4 classified boards. Speaking for myself, I never go through all of them so I'm only seeing a fraction of the posts I used to see. Just because I may not be working on a particular costume at the time doesn't mean that there might not be something to learn or something of general interest.

We are addressing this right now and as soon as the next revision is out, the search function will be back. In the meantime, you CAN still search the junkyard by going to advanced search and choosing just the Junkyard to search.

There are certainly some growing pains any time you make a big change like this, but in the long run we really hope the changes make for a BETTER user experience. If not, the change was not worth doing.

One more thought I had. It would be nice to be able to choose to display more items on a single page in the new Junkyard. It's a pain to go through so many pages. I'd love to be able to just load them all or at least a lot more per page.

This is on our list as well. We will have options for 24, 48, 100 and 200 listings per page.

About my other point. I think things may have been divided up into way too many subcategories. There are like 7 different costume boards now and 4 classified boards. Speaking for myself, I never go through all of them so I'm only seeing a fraction of the posts I used to see. Just because I may not be working on a particular costume at the time doesn't mean that there might not be something to learn or something of general interest.

This is always a tricky one and definitely a slippery slope. Prior to us making these changes, there was a DEAFENING roar of "OMG, there are so many threads and things get pushed off the front page so fast that I can't see them. You have to divide things up!"

Now that we have done exactly that, there is the complaint of "OMG, there are so many forums. I can't go to them all and I am missing things!

:lol

This is a damned if you do / damned if you don't situation in which you are never going to please every one but we hope by breaking the forums out a bit, we have helped the situation some and made the previous issues a little easier to handle, while not taking the route we have seen so many forums take where we create 50+ forums that break down subjects into extreme minutia.

Again, thanks for the quick reply!

I look forward to the new options for the Junkyard. I'm glad to hear about them. And yeah, I know what you mean about the damned if you do and don't scenario. I don't really know what's better or worse in this situation. But I know for sure I don't read nearly the number of threads I used to. And posts I make only get a fraction of the views they used to. Which means when I have questions about how to do something, I don't get the amount of advice as before. It's a double edged sword I guess.

This is on our list as well. We will have options for 24, 48, 100 and 200 listings per page.

This is always a tricky one and definitely a slippery slope. Prior to us making these changes, there was a DEAFENING roar of "OMG, there are so many threads and things get pushed off the front page so fast that I can't see them. You have to divide things up!"

Now that we have done exactly that, there is the complaint of "OMG, there are so many forums. I can't go to them all and I am missing things!

:lol

This is a damned if you do / damned if you don't situation in which you are never going to please every one but we hope by breaking the forums out a bit, we have helped the situation some and made the previous issues a little easier to handle, while not taking the route we have seen so many forums take where we create 50+ forums that break down subjects into extreme minutia.

New Junkyard posts marked as read + Search option

Is there a way please to have the new Junkyard posts/topics/threads that we already read also marked as read - maybe a button to click on that and mark it as read?

Also maybe to have some kind of search option in this section? Right now there are not too many threads there, but when they will become more it will be harder to find some topics with out a search option. Thank you.

Re: New Junkyard posts marked as read + Search option

Is there a way please to have the new Junkyard posts/topics/threads that we already read also marked as read - maybe a button to click on that and mark it as read?

Also maybe to have some kind of search option in this section? Right now there are not too many threads there, but when they will become more it will be harder to find some topics with out a search option. Thank you.

It's already being worked on for the next revision.

(post moved to Junkyard Changes thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back