John Harvey - Weta Senior Modelmaker - Q&A with the RPF

My question is somewhat simple.....

What do you do in your spare time when not creating props for movies or other projects?

I'm picturing something totally crazy like parachuting or bungee jumping.

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer our questions and keep up the great work!!

cheers

Hi Klwl

When I am not looking after my children I do a lot of spearfishing and diving. But I did work for a Bungee Jumping Company when I was at art school

Thanks

John

Here's my question:

With the high budget of many films, do you make props (use materials) that will stand the test of time? Or just until the production is over. Thanks.

Hey Wakeem

To make a prop "actor proof" we use products with half lives of around 50 million years .... so they should stand the test of time ....

Thanks

John

John,

One of the best WETA props was the Goliathon 800 Moon Hater.
I was offer to purchase this item 1 of 3 for around $6500.00 almost two years ago.
Do you think WETA will ever come out with a limited edition of this model at a lower price ?
I almost bought this item, but was hesitant because of the economy.

Thank you,
Mike

Hi Mike

Over to Tim ....

Cheers

John

Have you ever noticed yourself getting sucked into the business aspect of prop making and forgetting the reason you got into it in the first place? What do you do to bring that passion back?

Hey hoverboy

No, I love making things. I think if I lost my passion I wouldn't do it anymore

Thanks

John

Since many have already asked the question I would ask...that leaves me only one question.....

John....why are you so angry in your pic? Does making props make you angry?
;)

Hi Dude

Ha, I'm not angry. They told me to give a serious look. (But you're right I do look angry.)

Thanks

John

Hello Mr. Harvey!

It's obvious that many members here would do just about anything to be in the prop industry, because it means artistically going from something as simple as a drawing or an idea to a real object you can touch. But even as a supervisor, what are the limits on your creativity? Is there ever someone in the bigger movies who will trash an idea of yours and tell you it needs to be started over?

Also, I like cwabby's and The Dude's questions. ^__^

Hi Sharkhead

Turning 2D into 3D does rock .. The limit to creativity normaly comes down to budget and deadlines, but if it does need starting over, there is normally a good reason. Thank goodness it doesn't happen often.

Cheers

John

Mr. Harvey;
We prop builders/collectors love to show off what we've got. I've spoken too & met guys who carry around or wear some of their props(specially Whovians & their sonics).

My question is, is do you have a favourite prop that you carry around when you leave the house/shop?

Regards;
~Z

Hi Z

Some mornings I have trouble remembering to take my phone and wallet .... and walking around with a big gun .... even though it's not real would get you into a lot of trouble .... even in NZ.

Thanks

John

What advice can you give to us aspiring prop builders to achieve a career in the prop industry?

Or

What is your favorite prop out of all that you have made?

Hi punisher

Just keep going ... try, try, try. Meet or talk to people. Aim for the top but you will probably have to start from the bottom.

MY favourites are many, from Susan's bow and arrows and quiver, to Hellboy's gun, to Avatar guns, LOTR props, and some of the D9 guns that were not seen in the movie.

Cheers

John

I tend to only do this as a hobby, but its still pretty standard for me to put 40+ hours a week into making my replicas and props. Despite this essentially being a second job, I still step back after large steps are taken in my process and jump around like a 10 year old opening a shiny new toy. Its not uncommon for me, a 28 year old man, to walk around with a half-finished gun painted primer gray going "PEW PEW PEW" while pointing it at my confused cat.

I'd like to believe that the creators at WETA display this (well, similar) enthusiasm as well with their creations. Is this the case, or sometimes are you just happy to go home on Friday and not look at your work for a couple of days?

Hi Volpin

Yes, we do ... we all have a kid in us even at 38 years old. R&R is very important. Weekends are very important to me. So most of them are spent with family and friends.

Cheers

John

I haven't read through all six pages, so forgive me is this question is redundant:

To what extent, if any, are professionals in your field aware of the prop replica community? And what is the general attitude toward it?

I assume it can't be grossly negative, or else Mr. Harvey wouldn't be joining us. Still, how do folks regard us? Do they find our activity flattering? Or is it something they tolerate as a goodwill gesture to fandom? Or do they pay us little to no mind at all?

Hi squirk

I know you all exist. I think it's great.

Who cares about the rest anyway ...

Cheers

John

You've worked on films that cover everything from pure science fiction to Meiji Era Japan. Do you find there's a huge difference in working on props based in reality versus the fantasy world? Which do you prefer working on?

Hi juno

I really enjoy "real fiction" if that makes sense ... like LOTR we created a fictional place that was totally believable.

Thanks

John

Hi John,

I'd really be curious to know the lead times that you are given for prop production for a film and how budget constraints affect the design/fabrication process.

Cheers!

Jerome

Hi Jerome

They differ so much from job to job. Give me an example of a prop and I will get back to you.

Thanks

John

Hello,

iam jeroen from the Netherlands my question is,how much creative freedom do you have,how did you get involved at weta? and is there any change to visit the weta workshop?

Good luck with your career!

jeroen geertman.
framedprops.com

Hi Jeroen

We do have freedom in the creation of props, some a lot more than others. But at the end of the day it is us who have to turn a drawing into a 3D object. I would say very difficult to visit Weta due to confidentiality of jobs on at the moment.

Thanks

John

Making Props that look good is a difficult and tedious process (especially with little greebles and such)

So, that in mind. What inspires/inspired you to work on props?

That, and the classic, which has been your favourite prop that you've made?

Hi Vanguard

I enjoy it, always have, money helps

Susan's bow and quiver, Hellboy's gun, Navi weapons and guns, lots of guns and LOTR the whole thing

Cheers

John

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back