JayMay023's IronMan Projects

Re: War Machine Helmet - JAM

LOL :lol Sound like us... Always improving & perfecting. That is a good atribute. Keep it up and keep working on it, improve by doing.

Thanks, without change there is no improvement.

Here are the latest improvements :cool
DSCN1439.jpg

DSCN1440-1.jpg

DSCN1437.jpg

Removed the half circle tracks on top and replaced it with the more accurate movie version. The back is done now and tonight I'll be installing the magnets to hold the back lower quarter of the helmet on. Faceplate work around the eyes is next and then adding the hinge system. The next version that will be motorized will have a drop down jaw. Just trying to figure out if I want to use EL light panels or LEDs for the eyes.

Cheers
-Jay

Re: War Machine Helmet - JAM

Here's the new hinge system I'm working on:
DSCN1442.jpg

DSCN1444.jpg

DSCN1447.jpg

Not shown is the track system along the top that pulls the faceplate back and forth, soon this will be motorized.

Re: JAM Designs War Machine: New Faceplate Hinge System

So same, same as Juice posted. (y)cool

yes and no :lol, this is more like the top tray in fishing tackle box hinge setup (an idea I posted a while back on a forum that is now shut down). It is based off Juices setup but without the top hinge arms being curved as the war machine helmet is different then Iron Man.

Seeing how you did yours inspired me to get off my arse and implement mine. Thanks!
I'll be offering these as a cheap kit for the helmets I'm offering over in the JY.

what are you doing about the exposed nuts? *zing!*

:love Ya this is a prototype, I got so excited I forgot to cover my nuts :lol.
Does look a little Frankenstein-ish right now. The final version will have countersunk bolts that will be filled over and invisible.

Played with some fast cast polyurethane resin. Here are the results:
DSCN1541.jpg

DSCN1543.jpg

The ivory one obviously being the plastic. Fun stuff to work with, not as strong as fiberglass I would have to say. Maybe I'll do one a hybrid plastic/glass mix.

Re: JAM Designs War Machine: Peppers ghost eye lighting

So I've been hella busy recently and to boot my laptop gave up the ghost. Hence the occasional postings that I've done on from my PSP. Worse then trying to text message I tell ya!

Anyways, I decided to try and work on the lighting for the eyes..
DSCN1567.jpg

DSCN1625.jpg

DSCN1626.jpg

DSCN1585.jpg

Thats only 6 Super Bright LEDS, and you can see through it!
DSCN1608.jpg

I need to add some plastic to diffuse the lights from the LEDs.
The battery is in the chin and currently wired to contact points in the jaw so that when the faceplate closes the lights come on. I wanna eventually use the MagSafe connectors that they use on the mac laptops.

I'm using the "peppers ghost" lighting and vision effect. Since the lighting on the outside of the reflective film is brighter all you see is the reflection from the LEDS on the outside, thus allowing you to see through it from inside the darkened helmet. I'll try and post some pics of the inside of the faceplate when I get a chance to again...

Last edited:

The only problem is the light is leaking outside especially in the openings or gaps. You need to mask that otherwise your helmet will look like a pumpkin head. Props you used this method. I've been posting this method at 405th but noone is seems to care. May I ask where you got your reflective film?

You need to mask that otherwise your helmet will look like a pumpkin head. May I ask where you got your reflective film?

A local place called tap plastics. They have huge rolls of it.
Ya the light is a bit bright, I didnt cover the outside edges of the super bright LEDs so light goes everywhere.
Ill be posting pics of the fixed non-light leaking setup soon.
- Jay

This is an incredible helmet, it looked a little crooked to me at first but it seems fixed now. Im trying pep style but i would like to be able to make a mold and produce multiple helmets. I know nothing about molds etc., if anyone could tell me what you make a mold with and what you make the cast with that would be great.

This is an incredible helmet, it looked a little crooked to me at first but it seems fixed now. Im trying pep style but i would like to be able to make a mold and produce multiple helmets. I know nothing about molds etc., if anyone could tell me what you make a mold with and what you make the cast with that would be great.

Thanks! Started in January I believe and still not finished with it ( but really is art ever done?)

I currently use silicone molding material, make sure its at least 1/4 inch think if not thicker. The thicker the better to keep the mold from collapsing under the weight of whatever material you use in the mold.

I use two different materials in my molds. Fiberglass gel, backed with fiberglass and resin, or fast cast urethane plastic (sorry forgot the poly part). Both have pluses and minuses.. you gotta figure out what you like the most and what you feel works the best. The fast cast plastic is nice cause its got a 10 minute demold time, not as toxic and easier to sand and finish.. but costs more then fiberglass.

I'll be posting pics of the newer helmet style tonight!!!! :cool
Hope this helps,

-Jay

That helps a ton, thanks.

Your welcome, here are some pics of the new styled helmets..:cool
DSCN1651.jpg

DSCN1650.jpg

The white one being the newer version, still quite a bit of work to finish. Hopefull I'll get to the armor soon:lol :cool

coming along very well. very good skills!!!!!
Thanks!
I'm currently working on a hinged chin with the fixes that I've recently done on my helmet. Pics to come soon when I'm finished.
I'll eventually get to the armor some day :lol

In the first pics it looks like a pep file thats been covered in sculpting clay or something. I saw on Sharkhead7854's page that you were pepping his War Machine file. Did you cover it in sculpting clay and sculpt every detail on that helmet???

In the first pics it looks like a pep file thats been covered in sculpting clay. I saw on Sharkhead's page that you were pepping his War Machine file. Did you cover it in sculpting clay and sculpt every detail???

I started with a iron man helmet pep, then added all the war machine detailing. Seems like everyone has followed suite on this method of taking Iron Man helmets and changing them to War Machine. The sharkhead nobody pep was built way after I finished the 1st helm

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back